Verified Expert in Engineering
Derrick is a senior-level developer and architect with 17 years of professional experience. He has developed acclaimed software for major corporate and government clients including Comic-Con International, Microsoft, and Callaway Golf. Derrick has full-stack experience in all modern web and mobile platforms, advanced data visualizations, interactive media, and responsive user interfaces. He has brought success to teams of all sizes.
Git, WebStorm, IntelliJ, MacOS
The most amazing...
...project I've architected and developed was an enterprise-level web and mobile collaboration app, including features such as prototyping and live white-boarding.
- Developed a supply chain and competitor analysis engine with advanced web visualizations to analyze production, weaknesses, and risks, as well as compare market figures and trends.
- Upgraded a large-scale government web application from AngularJS to Angular using staged hybridization to allow for parallel feature development.
- Integrated government applications with a robust big-data platform as well as numerous external APIs.
- Worked across a number of government projects simultaneously, providing developer mentorship as well as technical leadership.
- Operated as a full-stack architect and engineer for high-end coworking space.
- Developed a variety of intuitive client-facing kiosks, including a check-in kiosk with RFID integration, an active member directory, a sales prospecting tool, and a live-updating location map.
- Built a robust administrative suite including reporting, metrics, analytics, and visualizations, all seamlessly integrated with third-party coworking management software.
- Acted as the primary software consultant for the coworking space. Provided budgets and estimates for software requirements. Conducted vendor interviews and provided assessments to CTO and CEO.
- Designed and developed a custom-themed WordPress site for customer-facing use, with plugins for third-party coworking management software.
- Worked with Comic-Con International to migrate their existing reservation system into a modular, service-based architecture built on Node.js/Express.
- Significantly improved API and database performance through code-based optimizations.
- Implemented a robust API testing and monitoring system, including load testing and realtime dashboard.
Senior Experience Developer
- Architected, developed, and integrated a mobile- and web-based real-time collaboration application for internal and external use, with a host of features including prototyping, annotating, white boarding, and demoing.
- Developed a wide range of web, desktop, and mobile software applications for top clients such as Callaway Golf and Microsoft. Utilized platforms, frameworks, and plugins best suited to the needs of each project.
- Developed a large-scale interactive hybrid mobile application using Phonegap/Cordova for deployment across multiple mobile platforms (iOS, Android, etc.).
- Trained and advised the development team on a range of web, desktop, and mobile technologies. Conducted company-wide training sessions.
- Completed a library of training, best practices, and troubleshooting documentation for internal tools and products, as well as established technologies.
Director of Software Development
- Designed and developed a fully integrated live Flash e-learning solution, including all client and server functionality for live video-streaming events and web conferences. Automated all client-facing tools for preparing, running and re-broadcasting events, as well as tracking participation, issuing legal certification and administrative reporting.
- Planned and developed a number of stand-alone Flash/Flex & Flash Media Server applications, implementing the latest streaming media standards including RTMP and HTTP tunneling. Some streaming media features included bi-directional video conferencing, multiple-presenter “studio” interfaces and on-the-fly high definition audio/video podcast encoding and delivery.
- Acted as the primary technological innovator for all software products and features. Hosted inter-departmental brainstorming sessions, conducted client product meetings and presented at internal and external conferences.
- Drastically increased the company’s overall productivity, providing general and customized software for many global banks, accounting and legal firms, including CitiBank, Bank of America, Deloitte Touche, and Grant Thornton.
- Helped lead the company to a number of prestigious small business awards including the Inc. 5000 national award and Puget Sound top 100 fastest growing company regional award.
- Developed and implemented an efficient, creative and scalable company development cycle that included effective procedures for rapid and stable bug fixes, client feature requests, thorough testing procedures, and company-wide brainstorming sessions.
Angular, AngularJS, Angular Material, Express.js, Ionic, PhoneGap, Swagger, Ionic 4, Kendo UI, Jasmine, Adobe Flex, Realtime, Redux, ASP.NET MVC, Spring, Spring MVC, Hibernate, NHibernate, .NET
NgRx, jQuery, RxJS, D3.js, Node.js, API Development, Backbone.Marionette, Raphaël, Chai, React
Angular CLI, Sequelize, NPM, Grunt, Bower, Gulp, Mocha, Karma, Cordova Plugins, IntelliJ, WebStorm, Git, Adobe Flash, AWS SDK, Amazon EBS, Chef, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Fireworks, Jenkins, Concourse CI
Agile Software Development, Component-based Development, Functional Programming, Responsive Development, Mobile Development, MEAN Stack
MacOS, Telerik, iOS, Web, Android, Azure, Docker, Linux, BSD
Cordova, Angular Component Architecture, Component-based Architecture, Containers, Responsive Design, Web Development, Front-end Development, RESTful Services, Software Development, Mobile Web, RFID, SDKs, APIs
MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Microsoft SQL Server, Amazon S3 (AWS S3)
Bachelor's Degree in Asian Studies
University of California, Santa Barbara - Santa Barbara, CA
Bachelor's Degree in Physics
University of California, Santa Barbara - Santa Barbara, CA