CSS3 Developer in San Francisco, CA, United States
Lead Developer2017 - PRESENTCottageClass, LLC
Technologies: React, Go, Rails, Redux, MongoDB, Google Cloud Platform
- Took over and led new features & maintenance for React+Golang webapp.
- Ported React components into composable component framework and instituted Redux.
- Led UX research and customer experience for 2 new features: accounting dashboard and onboarding flow reorganization.
- Refactored payments processing to take advantage of Stripe features (eg subscriptions, refunds).
- Led reorganization of back-end API from page-based handlers to RESTful endpoints.
Lead Developer2017 - 2018Pique Scholarships, LLC
Technologies: React, Rails, Postgres, Heroku, AWS, Git
- Took over development and maintenance of React+Rails web application.
- Worked closely with product manager to define scope for features and carefully balance new feature development and technical debt.
- Led sprints in an agile fashion using Pivotal Tracker.
- Led development of new features: Scholarship Provider Onboarding, Student Referral Tool, AWS -> Heroku migration.
- Migrated application from SPA+Firebase architecture to relational database (Postgres) to support complex data queries and provide user- and admin-facing data dashboards.
Founding Engineer2016 - 2017Zeal Learning, LLC
Technologies: Angular 1.x, Ruby on Rails, HTML5/CSS3, Firebase, MySQL, AWS
- Served as the back-end developer responsible for managing API server and data dashboards.
- Implemented variety of frontend features on Zeal's realtime coaching platform.
- Caught bugs in realtime tutoring system, reducing user disconnects by 20%.
- Extended agile process for team, adding weekly IPM and end-of-week Retrospective to existing daily Standups.
- Communicated with customers around data dashboards feature, channeling feedback to product manager and aided in designing final solution.
Software Engineer2014 - 2016Pivotal, Inc.
Technologies: Ruby, Rails, Sinatra, Angular, React, MySQL, Postgres, AWS, TDD, Agile
- Managed new feature development and existing maintenance for APIs serving as endpoint to all of Cloud Foundry as a member of the API team.
- Contributed to API and front-end development for Cloud Foundry web GUI; entirely TDD workflow as a member of the front-end team.
- Developed tooling and benchmarking framework for deploying and monitoring a highly-available MySQL cluster addon to Cloud Foundry with 100% TDD workflow on the MySQL team.
- Led Fully Agile/XP process in the Pivotal style with daily standup, weekly IPM, and Retro.
- CottageClass (Development)http://www.cottageclass.com
React+Golang+MongoDB web application supporting 5000+ independent schoolteachers in the United States.
I was brought on to take over development at a critical time for the client - they had just found product-market fit and started to gain traction.
My tasks were various - redesigning the payments system for scale, creating various internal dashboards and tools, visualizing accounting data for our course providers, and creating marketing automation tools.
In all these I was involved from design down to implementation. I ran weekly sprints with the PM, designer, and any other developers involved, focusing us around weekly goals.
My favorite project was probably our accounting dashboard, as I was able to communicate directly with users and push out features in responsive cadence to their requests.
This project is ongoing.
- Pique Scholarships (Development)
React+Rails, on Postgres MVP for scholarship search and discovery.
I was brought on to take a front-end-only React+Firebase proof-of-concept and add a back-end backed by a relational database as the company brought on its first users.
I defined the data models in consultation with the product owner, identified contracts between the front-end and the existing NoSQL datastore, and implemented a RESTful API in Rails that fulfilled the contracts expected by the front-end.
I chose to implement in Rails for two reasons: 1) because of the vast ecosystem of tools and packages available for common tasks a SaaS app would need; and 2) because its prevalence allows for quick hiring and onboarding of any future developers. As an pre-revenue SaaS application, these decisions were appreciated by the client.
This project evolved into front- and back-end development as new features came along or were requested by users. I moved the authentication flow from standard Devise to token-based authentication, added an applicant-scoring feature, and made small changes and bug fixes.
Throughout this work I attempted to adhere to clean code practices, enforcing separation of concerns and migrating all client-side data storage to Redux.
FrameworksRuby on Rails (RoR), Redux, AngularJS, Sinatra, Material-UI
StorageMySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB
- Master's degree in Cognitive Science2012 - 2013Harvard University - Cambridge, MA
- Bachelor's degree in Cognitive Science2006 - 2010University of California, Berkeley - Berkeley, CA