Verified Expert in Engineering
Ganapathy has around 18 years of experience working in a Tier-1 company as a back-end developer. He became a technologist specializing in OOPS, Java, and SQL. He grew up the ranks to be a technical manager using his strong leadership and communication skills. In 2016, Ganapathy opted to freelance, performing technical and management consulting, data analysis, SQL programming, and VBA automation. His all-around abilities to simplify things and deliver cost-effective solutions delight his clients.
Windows, Java, Oracle
The most amazing...
...achievement I've had is innovating and filing two patents despite being looked at as a crisis man who brings order to troubled projects.
- Provided consulting and other services to small and medium-sized customers to make high-quality software affordable.
- Leveraged technical and industry experience to consult and advise young startups on the direction, industry trends, long-term approaches, technology, and cost management.
- Performed numerous data analysis and automation activities for various customers. Created automated reports using VBA, Power Query and Pivot, Power BI, and Excel formulas.
- Created web portals for CRUD activities using ASP.NET, MVC, MS SQL, PHP, Laravel, MySQL, and jQuery, along with data reporting capabilities by linking them with Excel.
- Performed query tuning activities in Oracle and MS SQL queries for customers and improved performance by ten to over a hundred times in some cases where data restructuring was involved.
- Developed Power BI dashboards using SharePoint, Excel, and MS SQL database as sources. The dashboards were simple in nature that provided real-time insights and eliminated the need for huge data warehouse solutions or effort-intensive manual processes.
- Collaborated with industry experts and built a product for invoice management, inventory management, tax computation, and accounting to meet the needs of a newly introduced GST regime in India for small businesses without any IT infrastructure.
- Performed business analysis, defined system and SaaS architecture, designed and implemented database and back and front ends, and contributed to sales and marketing.
- Onboarded 10 customers to a subscription model within one month. The product was widely appreciated by industry personnel as it provided a cost-effective solution and made filing GST returns easy with minimal communication with auditors.
- Simplified the year-end returns activities by enabling monthly return filing and reconciliation exercises.
- Allowed positioning of part-time accountants, which resulted in easy and cost-effective work for businesses and auditors.
Technical Delivery Manager
- Built teams of 10-50 members from scratch and executed projects from inception to completion at least five times. Managed a team of 300+ members with 30+ active projects and annual revenue of $20+ million.
- Involved in various activities, including web programming, core databases, content management, data warehousing, SAP, business analysis, project and portfolio management, operations management, talent planning, and deployment.
- Strategized and led delivery excellence, improved productivity, and delivered quality and L5 of the CMM process. Worked closely with captive units of customers and partnered in delivering value to the customer organization.
- Contributed to proactive presales pitches, including business value articulation and competitive project bidding for new customers. Demonstrated a win ratio of over 60%, much higher than the organizational benchmark.
- Led people in developing their skills and managing aspirations, which resulted in employee recognition and satisfaction and the highest employee satisfaction score of 25%. Motivated the team to work toward a superior outcome of the project.
- Handled customer escalations and communicated diplomatically and honestly while being solution-oriented. Resolved crises and took over troubled projects of other managers to put them in order.
- Received awards for patents: Methods, systems, and computer-readable media for comparing XML documents (US9009172B2) and Business to business integration software as a service (US8046441B2).
- Assessed details while having a big picture in mind to align with organizational strategy.
Business Analyst and Application Developer
- Acted as a developer and used Java. Helped other team members and was internally awarded as the most valuable team player several times.
- Used SQL and data analysis and communicated with client IT managers, which led to presenting business cases to business leaders.
- Played a key role in architecting and defining scalable and maintainable application architecture using emerging technologies.
- Designed data warehouses and databases of large sizes for transactional processing.
- Saved projects with performance issues using robust short-, mid-, and long-term solutions, transforming disrupted businesses and returning them to growth.
Maintenance and Support for a JDA Database
I have been the single person managing the technical maintenance of the implementation since 2019. I perform bug fixes, enhancements, ad hoc reporting, and housekeeping activities in the system. I assist the DBA with performing intense activities like server upgrades.
Operations Management System for a Water Inspection Services Company
I proposed to the client not to upgrade their MS Office with a new version and instead buy Microsoft365. This eliminated their need to upgrade their server computer too. We used a combination of SharePoint, Power Apps, Power Automate, and PowerBI to implement the functionality the SaaS provider was offering.
The recurring cost became almost zero as it was all part of their Microsoft365 license. The solutions were accessible from the computer as well as from a mobile. All their operations were automated, and monitoring was done using PowerBI.
Data Migration from Excel to SQL Server
I proposed a solution that has a set of views and stored procedures. The data extraction and consolidation were restricted to the database, and clean data was populated in two sheets against 30. Formulas were limited and replaced with VBA macros to perform actions on demand. The size of the file came down to one-tenth of what it was, and the processing got reduced from 30 minutes to under 20 seconds.
Innovation and Patent Filing
The patent Business to business integration software as a service (US8046441B2) was granted in 2011. The idea revolves around revolutionizing B2B communication and making it easier to onboard small businesses that cannot afford substantial infrastructure costs.
The patent Methods, systems, and computer-readable media for comparing XML documents (US9009172B2) was granted in 2015. The idea is a unique algorithm for comparing large-sized XML documents efficiently. The prototype built using the idea was 10 times faster than the best-known comparison mechanisms at the time of invention.
Portfolio Management for a Fortune 100 Aircraft Manufacturer
I was a portfolio manager managing a team of 150 offshore members and about 20 projects in Waterfall, iterative, and Agile methodologies. The role demanded excellence in delivery and operations, focusing on customers and people and striking a balance for maximum profitability, customer satisfaction, and employee engagement.
The key metrics of concern were project margins, employee satisfaction, customer satisfaction, percentage of projects with CMM L5 rating, and projects in high risk.
Some of the notable projects included:
• developing a Java, Oracle, and XML-based integrated data management system connecting various systems for their new aircraft model to enhance data accessibility for service engineers;
• creating, maintaining, and supporting a Java and Oracle-based custom editor for documenting and maintaining wiring diagrams;
• building a system to collect, cleanse and analyze in-flight system data of airline customers and predict malfunctions and issue alerts about preventive maintenance;
• developing an integrated supplier information system to provide a single window for enterprise-wide supplier and order management.
Management of Projects for a Software Product Company
• Project planning
• Overall responsibility for technical solutions and delivery
• Bidding for new projects
• Team management
• One of the first experimental projects working on a beta version of SSIS for the customers themselves.
• Close interactions with the customer's product team to identify issues and improvement areas in the product based on project experience.
• The ability to deal with a database size of over 500GB which was the first of its kind at the time.
Consolidation of Intranet Websites for a Large Semiconductor Manufacturer
The project was a program to consolidate the intranet websites, approximately 100, and ensure consistency, simplified content update, and intuitive navigability. Analyzed the list of sites, interviewed stakeholders, assessed needs with the involvement of the senior management, and defined a consolidated taxonomy and style guide. I also worked on defining the hardware and software architecture and cost estimation. Once the plan of the program was approved by the senior management, sites were taken for consolidation in a phased manner.
I played more than three main roles in the program, including the overall program manager, technical architect, business analyst, and primary SPOC for business users.
Intranet News Portal for a Large Semiconductor Manufacturer
It was a pilot effort for implementing content management solutions for Intranet applications. Much news information had to be communicated to the client's employees, and the site was initially maintained as a static HTML site. Making changes to the site daily was an uphill task, and it involved the content experts to know HTML programming language.
The application's objective was to build a content management solution that would allow the content authors to update the site easily without having to know any programming. The architecture was redefined to reduce the development cost and improve performance, as the portal was a high-volume site registering 50,000 hits daily. Implemented a robust archiving mechanism and metrics collection on the site hits.
Development of a Personalization Portal for Customers of a Large Semiconductor Manufacturer
The client, as a semiconductor manufacturer, had lots of products, tools, and applications. Though all these were available on the external website, the clients felt that personalizing what they needed could improve their productivity. The project aimed to provide a customized view of the content in a secure environment.
Different types of personalization were incorporated, including requesting the users to give their preferences and automatically personalizing their experience based on the site usage. From a business perspective, multiple dimensions of content personalization like cross- and up-sell were offered. The project also implemented a single sign-on solution.
EAI Enabling of an Existing Order Management System
It also involved developing a generic PDF generator for generating packing slips and shipping orders at runtime in PDF format. It also aimed to showcase Infosys' ability to create reusable components. I was the Java developer for the project.
Development of a Web-based Shipment System
A set of data maintenance screens were also developed for the company representatives to update the rates and other data about the quote generation. I was the lead Java and Oracle developer for the project.
Development and Maintenance of Java Server Components for a Dot-com Company
The various project activities were bug fixing and enhancements for the pluggable components. Managed multiple enhancements, including performance tuning, connection pooling, and internationalization of the components.
The project also involved developing new B2B components encompassing a customizable front and back end. Two such components were attempted, auction and request for proposal (RFP). It started with defining the component requirements by general web browsing and brainstorming. Used Rational Rose 2000 for the design and a product called Versata for the development.
Excel VBA, SQL, XML, Stored Procedure, Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), T-SQL (Transact-SQL), Java, Perl, SQL DDL, PHP 5, PHP 7
Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Power BI, Cron, Microsoft Power Apps, Servlet, Birt Report, Shell, Microsoft Access
Database Design, Database Development, OLAP, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Manual Testing, ETL, ETL Implementation & Design, Business Intelligence (BI), B2B
Oracle, SharePoint, Microsoft Power Automate, Solaris, WebSphere Commerce, Linux
Database Programming, Oracle PL/SQL, SQL Stored Procedures, Databases, Relational Databases, PL/SQL, Data Integration, OLTP, Data Pipelines, Microsoft SQL Server, IIS SQL Server, SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), SQL Server 2008, MySQL, PL/SQL Developer, SQL Server 2016
Programming, Task Management, Software Engineering, IT Project Management, Data Warehousing, Data Analysis, Data Engineering, Data Migration, Data Architecture, Architecture, Roadmaps, Reporting, Data Modeling, Data Aggregation, Excel 365, Data Structures, Documentation, Excel Macros, Macros, Data Warehouse Design, Query Optimization, Query Composition, Performance Tuning, APIs, Data Strategy, Data Governance, Quality Assurance (QA), Integration Testing, Dashboards, Data Visualization, Finance, Data Transformation, ETL Development, Logistics, ETL Tools, PL/SQL Tuning, Unix Shell Scripting, Process Design, Web Project Management, Portfolio Management, Business Analysis, SAP, IT Management, Content Management Systems (CMS), BEA WebLogic Server, Taxonomy, ATG Dynamo, Data-level Security, IT Consulting, Enterprise Java Beans (EJB)
.NET, Adobe Flex, TestNG, ASP.NET, Laravel, Apache Struts 2, Hibernate, Spring
Master of Science in Software Systems
Birla Institute of Technology - Pilani, India
Bachelor of Engineering in Geo Informatics
College of Engineering, Guindy (CEG) - Chennai, India
Project Management Professional (PMP)
Project Management Institute (PMI)
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring