- Contract Web/Mobile DeveloperOmni Timeline2015 - PRESENT
Technologies: Django, Django Rest Framework, Objective C, Swift
- Was brought on to rescue a server-side API project that had been badly mishandled by prior contractors.
- Added full test coverage to the API, exposing numerous errors and security risks.
- Developed a suite of new API features to allow searching, filtering, and file uploads through Django Rest Framework.
- Collaborated with an existing client-side mobile developer to release a new, stable version of the app.
- Built a new, doctors-only version of the app in Swift.
- Contract Python/Web DeveloperFinance Matters2015 - PRESENT
- Converted an extensive Excel model of dairy farm financial performance into a robust Python model.
- Helped the client think through and design a website to allow farmers to apply the model to their own data.
- Built wireframes laying out the ideal website.
- Built a Django web app allowing smooth handling of highly interdependent time-series data.
- Searched for and hired a graphic designer for the project.
- Built very extensive unit, integration, and behavioral tests to verify the consistently correct behavior of the system.
- FounderSonica2014 - PRESENT
Technologies: Python, StarCluster, Django, Scrapy, Objective-C, Swift, Heroku
- Conceived and designed an app that recommends electronic music that's perfectly tuned to the user's individual tastes and current mood and activity.
- Built a server-side API using Django (with libraries such as Django-REST-Framework, NLTK, celery, AllAuth, numpy, scipy, pandas, psycopg2 and gevent.).
- Researched and developed a novel matrix factorization-based recommendation algorithm using iPython Notebook, StarCluster, Elasticsearch, igraph, ANNoy, scikit-learn, graphlab-create, Scrapy, and MOE.
- Developed and released an iPhone client using both Swift and Objective-C.
- Hosted infrastructure on Heroku and Amazon EC2 using Postgres and Redis.
- Contract Devops DeveloperPolestar Pilates2014 - 2015
Technologies: Django, Chef, Fabric
- Used the methods in my Django deployment guide to deploy a production Django server.
- Coached the client through the process of learning to administer and maintain his own site.
- Set up a best-practices logging configuration.
- Set up an integration with Google+ services.
- Jumped in to debug numerous ad hoc issues in the client's homebrewed code.
- FounderLinerNotes2011 - 2014
- Came up with the idea for a website that gathered all the rich context and metadata surrounding music in one easy-to-read place.
- Designed and developed the entire website from scratch in Django. Developed both the back-end and the front-end.
- Built a robust ETL pipeline using Hadoop and Cascading to extract metadata from 7 different sources and merge it all into a well-reconciled data model.
- Developed a deployment automation process that uses Chef and Fabric to let me provision and deploy new nodes with a single line of code.
- Deployed an Elasticsearch cluster with robust custom tokenizers so that users could get sensible results whether or not they used the correct character sets while typing artist names like "Mötley Crüe."
- Investment AssociateBridgewater Associates2008 - 2011
Technologies: Excel (Expert Level), Visual Basic
- Performed financial and macroeconomic research for the world's largest hedge fund.
- Managed 8 interns, including two Harvard MBAs.
- Built a comprehensive model to predict the impact of government spending on economic growth in the developed world.
- Wrote widely-ready newsletters about U.S. industrial production and the Australian Economy.
- Automated a process for extracting and computing key fiscal data from world governments.