Principal Architect2017 - 2018Kespry
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, Python, C++
- Deployed a number of internal and external APIs to support the distribution of company and client data and analytic information.
- Managed, updated and debugged a distributed photogrammetry stitching pipeline.
- Administered a number of AWS services including Batch, EC2, ECR/ECS, SWF, SQS, IAM, CloudWatch and CloudFormation.
- Acted as the de-facto Agile coach and mentor for a small engineering team.
- Acted as an architectural consultant for new service initiatives.
Principal Software Engineer2013 - 2017Tableau Software
Technologies: Java, C++, Python
- Built a new, from-scratch, map tile service to displace a costly and error-prone third-party service.
- Generated a number of geospatial data ingestion tools for OpenStreetMap content.
- Acted as an embedded architect and engineer on a newly formed Maps team.
- Implemented support for geospatial data formats in Tableau Desktop and Tableau Server.
- Worked on a next-generation geocoding solution for Tableau software that improved data compression rates over 80% and improved the accuracy and speed of matching of geocoding results.
Chief Web Services Architect2008 - 2013Alteryx
- Implemented the first version of AlterxWeb. A SaaS product exposing the features of the company's desktop product and putting them online using WCF, AWS, MongoDB, and a host of other technologies.
- Wrote some of the early connectors to support Tableau Data Engine (TDE) sources in Alteryx Desktop.
- Wrote, debugged and improved a number of Alteryx geospatial components.
President2000 - 2008AnalyGIS
Technologies: Java, C#, VBScript, MapInfo, MapBasic, MapXtreme, ESRI ArcView, ESRI ArcIMS
- Founded a geospatial consulting firm to support the training and development of geospatial technologies.
- Wrote numerous geospatial web applications using commercial mapping services from ESRI and MapInfo in VBScript and C#.
- Implemented a vehicle tracking portal using J2ME-enabled handsets and a web-based viewing application written in VBScript.
- Authored proprietary ETL tools to support the retrieval and packaging of US Census data for sale written primarily in C#.
- Wrote a US geocoding library for the .NET CLR using openly available data from the US Census and US Postal Service.
Target Marketing Specialist2000 - 2000Telocity
Technologies: ASP, VBScript, MapXtreme, MapInfo
- Was responsible for geographic analysis for the company's DSL marketing efforts.
- Wrote a number of web portals to report on the effectiveness of the company's marketing initiatives using SQL Server, ASP, and VBScript.
- Performed routine geospatial analysis to determine street-routed distance from customer residence to service central office to determine DSL qualification status.
- Ran a number of geographic analytic reports to determine efficacy of target marketing efforts.
Software Developer1999 - 2000Empower Geographics
Technologies: ASP, VBScript, MapXtreme, MapInfo, MapBasic
- Acted a primary instructor for MapInfo Professional and conducted monthly 4-day training seminars.
- Primary author of MapBasic extensions for MapInfo Professional covering a number of industry verticals.
- Authored large format prints and cartographic presentations for company customers.
- Performed consultative geospatial analysis functions for company customers using MapInfo, MapXtreme, MapBasic and custom software written in Delphi.
Translation & Fulfillment Specialist1996 - 1999BLR Data
Technologies: MapBasic, ArcInfo, ESRI ArcView, Tactician, Autodesk
- Acted as the primary geospatial data translation expert within the company. I routinely translated a digital street network database into a variety of geospatial formats to meet customer requirements.
- Managed a small team of shipping and fulfillment personnel.