Ivan Voras, PhD
Verified Expert in Engineering
Open Source Developer
Ivan is primarily a back-end developer with 18+ years of experience architecting and implementing server-side solutions, including distributed platforms, such as blockchains, chat servers, and game back-ends. He has handled DBA operations, developed modules for PostgreSQL, and has experience developing firmware for IoT devices. He helped establish the Toptal blockchain specialization, served as a tech screener, and lectured for Toptal Academy.
Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Go, Git, GCC, Vim Text Editor, Linux, Python, SQLite, Back-end Development, WhatsApp
The most amazing...
...thing I've developed is a blockchain from scratch (github.com/ivoras/daisy).
CTO and Founder
Equinox Vision d.o.o.,
- Architected and developed a highly scalable back-end architecture to handle hundreds of thousands of users for the global AR platform the company is developing.
- Assembled a team of developers, designers, and marketers to launch the company as a startup.
- Managed the startup's founding team for the early stage of the company.
Consultant | Blockchain Developer
Ideja na kvadrat (Self-employed)
- Developed the back end for a Bitcoin explorer tool with PostgreSQL, Redis, and Python.
- Handled DBA and DevOps for large companies and startups.
- Worked with a self-employment company as a consultant and freelance in web app architecture, big data processing architecture, and high-performance network services.
Open Source Developer
- Authored dozens of open source projects, including applications and libraries.
- Created a faster, faster, high-performance memory cache server with more features than Memcached.
- Built a module for PostgreSQL (written in C) to extend the full-text-search facility with support for the Croatian language.
- Developed a module for PostgreSQL (written in C) to support on-the-fly.
- Developed a fixed-point header library in C for environments without floating-point support (e.g., embedded).
- Created an encrypted notepad app for desktop and Android editing, directly saving encrypted files.
- Updated a blog regularly at http://ivoras.net/blog/tree/.
Senior Lead PHP Developer
Foothold Technology, Inc.
- Troubleshot performance issues and daily database issues for a large web app.
- Worked with and consulted the DevOps team in closing hard-to-catch issues relating to the Linux kernel and PostgreSQL internals.
- Participated in planning and designing sysadmin/ops activities and requirements.
- Managed a data processing pipeline using Airflow and Snowflake.
EvoBits Information Technology SRL
- Developed the back end for a blockchain explorer product using Python and PostgreSQL.
- Created a system that periodically imports blockchain data into PostgreSQL for analytics purposes.
- Developed forks of the Bitcoin codebase to work as altcoins.
CTO and Founder
- Developed multiple iterations of a PCB board for an IoT product.
- Assembled and tested pre-production PCB boards and made them ready for production.
- Managed PCB manufacture and assembly of pre-production PCB samples with a Chinese manufacturer (JLCPCB).
- Wrote kernel-side code dealing with storage systems (GEOM).
- Designed and implemented a device-level journaling module.
- Designed and implemented a virtual storage module.
- Gave talks at annual FreeBSD conferences about my work with storage systems (GEOM).
- Participated in the vibrant international community of users and developers.
Internet Services Architect
University of Zagreb
- Designed and implemented the core of a web content management system back when they were a new concept (2001-2002).
- Designed the faculty web and student information systems as a technology and product architect.
- Designed a very modular web application framework.
- Designed and optimized the design of the database to include recent PostgreSQL features.
- Designed and implemented the server-side environment based on FreeBSD for high performance and uptime.
- Spearheaded the implementation of new technologies into existing products and processes.
- Completed a PhD in an efficient multithreaded client-server architecture.
A Book About Running an Early Stage Startup in Eastern Europehttps://www.amazon.com/European-VC-Funded-Startup-Guide-Eastern-ebook/dp/B0C2XT3BV1?crid=3UR2IQ4LWZD2Z
My Electronics Bloghttp://ivoras-electronics.tumblr.com/
I'm currently interested in low-power design and solar power.
Guide to Multi-processing Network Server Models
Software Development Anywhere: My Distributed Remote Workplace
Working with ESP32 Audio Sampling
Django, Knockout (Knockout.js), Flask, Bootstrap, Swagger, .NET, .NET Core, Unity3D, Unity
API Development, REST APIs, LibC, Sockets, HTTP API, POSIX, Arduino RTC, Python Imaging Library, LocalStorage, AES, Puppet.js, Social APIs, Pygame, FFmpeg, SDL, Google API, pcap, ZeroMQ
Ansible, PuTTY, Vim Text Editor, Git, Apache, GitHub, Django-admin-tools, Trac, Subversion (SVN), Bitbucket, KVM/Qemu, NGINX, Mercurial, SQL Prompt, VirtualBox, Makefile, CMake, Valgrind, MQTT, Docker Compose, Puppet, Apache Airflow, Postfix, Notepad++, MediaWiki, HSQLDB, cURL Command Line Tool, Trello, GCC, VPN, GDB, G Suite
Concurrent Programming, Back-end Architecture, Database Design, REST, Hosting, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), DevOps, Socket Programming, Microservices, Real-time Systems, High-performance Computing, Refactoring, Clean Code, Data-driven Programming, Object-oriented Design (OOD), Management, Unit Testing, Data Science
Blockchain, Ubuntu, Linux, LAMP, Raspberry Pi, BSD, Red Hat Linux, Debian Linux, CentOS 6, CentOS, Kubuntu Linux, Linux RHEL/CentOS, Unix, FreeBSD, Docker, Ethereum, Embedded Linux, Xen, Django CMS, Android, Raspbian, Kernel Programming, Keychain, Arduino, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Kubernetes, Apache Kafka, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Hyperledger
PostgreSQL, Database Performance, SQLite, Memcached, Cache, FlatFile, Database Administration (DBA), Databases, SQL Stored Procedures, Database Modeling, NoSQL, LevelDB, DB, Redis, smbd, MySQL, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Data Pipelines, Cassandra, SQL Performance, MySQL Daemon, Internal Databases, Database Replication, JSON, Apache Derby, Firebird, LVM, CouchDB, Berkeley DB, MongoDB
Performance Tuning, Software Architecture, Cryptocurrency, Cryptocurrency Development, Architecture, Version Control, IMAP, SMTP, TCP/IP, SSL, Bitcoind, Back-end Development, System Architecture, HTTP, Open Source, Bitcoin, System Administration, SSH, Memory Mapped Files, IT Consulting, Software Engineering, Linux Servers, Data, CTO, Technical Writing, API Design, API Integration, Web Development, Technical Leadership, SaaS, APIs, API Documentation, Back-end, Scripting, Software Design, Scalable Architecture, Solution Architecture, Email, Game Back-end, Documentation, White Papers, Security Policies & Procedures, ESP8266, Hardware, Electronics, Firmware, Network Programming, WebSockets, Bluetooth, Distributed File Systems, Cryptography, Ethernet, Networks, Web Services, UDP, Encryption, TCP, Embedded Systems, Site Speed Optimization, Public-key Cryptography, SFTP, FTP, GNU, Unix/Linux Virtualization, RSync, Multithreading, Writing & Editing, iSCSI, Hash, Regular Expressions, HTTP Server, Data Structures, Prototyping, Embedded Software, Crypto, Cryptocurrency APIs, Blockchain & Cryptocurrency, Scraping, Cloud, Team Leadership, Augmented Reality (AR), AR Interfaces, Web Security, WhatsApp, Smart Contracts, Decentralized Finance (DeFi), Ethereum Smart Contracts, Web Scraping, Data Engineering, Distributed Systems, Container Orchestration, Non-fungible Tokens (NFT), Computer Science, GPT, Internet of Things (IoT), IoT Protocols, OpenAI GPT-3 API, ChatGPT API, ERC-20, Leadership, Data Warehousing, Data Warehouse Design, Consulting, Digital Electronics, Algorithms, ARM Embedded, Apache Cassandra, Electrical Engineering, System Design, NFS, Unix Shell Scripting, Genetic Algorithms, RPC, Memory Profiling, Social Media Integration, Single Sign-on (SSO), Protocol Buffers, RSA, OAuth, Peer-to-peer Networking, Lean Development, Embedded Hardware, Software Consulting, Technical Consulting, ARM, PCB Design, PCB, Microcontrollers, Renewable Energy, Full-stack, Financials, Due Diligence, Generative Pre-trained Transformers (GPT), Machine Learning, Polygon, Tezos
PhD Degree in Computer Engineering
University of Zagreb - Croatia