Senior BI Developer
Having 17+ years of data engineer/business intelligence industry experience and being a Microsoft Power BI Certified Professional, Jag has tremendous BI experience working with data at some of the top 10 Fortune companies in the world. He enjoys working with data, developing robust BI solutions for the clients to enhance their decision-making. Jag has completed many end-to-end BI projects with high-volume data and complex reporting requirements, presenting them visually as storytelling insights.
ExperienceBusiness Intelligence (BI) - 17 yearsT-SQL (Transact-SQL) - 15 yearsData Warehouse Design - 12 yearsData Warehousing - 12 yearsSQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) - 10 yearsSQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) - 10 yearsSQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS) - 10 yearsMicrosoft Power BI - 5 years
DAX, Dimensional Modeling, SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS), SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Power BI, Azure Synapse Analytics, Azure Data Lake, Azure Data Factory, Azure SQL Data Warehouse (SQL DW)
The most amazing...
...project I've done is the migration of 360 million transaction data into robust Power BI reports, meeting the CEO's vision and getting high praise for my work.
Data Architect | Power BI Consultant
- Engaged as a team lead to develop Power BI reports and dashboards using DAX for creating complex measures.
- Developed and enhanced a Power BI report managing COVID-related employee and visitor cases concerning other visitors and locations worldwide.
- Performed QA checks for the accuracy of employee entries data into buildings and floors using SQL statements.
- Utilized Azure Synapse Analytics, data modeling, and Azure Data Factory for ELT processes.
- Ingested data from AWS S3 buckets using Python scripts and processed the data to feed the Snowflake data warehouse.
- Created data modeling in Power BI with data from Snowflake to develop dashboards to meet business users' specifications.
- Developed the SSIS packages in Visual Studio to design ETL solutions and load source data into development and production environments.
- Created pipeline jobs, scheduled triggers, and mapped data flows using the Azure Data Factory.
- Implemented RLS (row-level security) on Power BI reports for business users to restrict data based on user roles.
Senior BI Consultant
IQUBICS Technologies, LLP
- Conducted the data migration from an on-premises SQL Server to Azure Synapse Analytics (DW) and Azure SQL DB.
- Created the tabular models on Azure Analysis Services for meeting business reporting requirements.
- Utilized Azure Blob and data lake storage, loading data into Azure SQL Synapse Analytics (DW).
- Involved in the complete data warehouse development lifecycle. Supported business users with change requests.
- Developed the SSIS packages in Visual Studio to extract, transform and load the source data into ODS and the Data Warehouse.
- Constructed the SSRS tabular reports to auto-save and auto-email the reports to designated users.
- Developed complex SQL queries using stored procedures to support Power BI reports along with DAX measures.
Data Engineer | Power BI Consultant
- Led the transition of video recordings and streaming data statistics from Excel and SSRS reports to Power BI and performed QA checks before publishing data to Power BI reports.
- Acted as project lead for design, development, and implementation of data warehouse and Microsoft BI solutions. Also performed data QA tests on data from source to match the values on target databases.
- Developed SSIS packages to ETL various source data into database and designed star schema models for Power BI.
- Created multiple reports using Power BI Desktop with Import and DirectQuery and advanced data modeling.
Senior BI Developer
- Implemented a BI reporting solution for medical health records data management and disease surveillance data.
- Imported data from Oracle DB, created data modeling, calculated columns, and measures for Power BI reports.
- Used PL/SQL for ETL tasks, such as bulk inserts of flat files, data transformations, and data loads for reports.
- Worked with advanced data analysis expressions (DAX) to create complex measures and visualizations for medical health records and disease data surveillance in visual forms as per business requirements.
- Interpreted and analyzed clinical data from various sources and recommended best practices. Reviewed the existing reports and converted them into dynamic visual reports.
Lead BI Consultant
Hewlett Packard Enterprise Development, LP
- Created Power BI reports for Wells Fargo and Bank of America software and hardware break-fix call metrics. Managed SLA reporting for BoA and Wells software and hardware support calls.
- Implemented row-level security on Power BI reports for various regional and district managers and support techs.
- Created and managed different SharePoint sites for internal usage in order to streamline specific processes.
- Automated the delivery mechanism of Excel reports to user emails using scripts and SQL Server daily jobs.
- Used PL/SQL and T-SQL for ETL tasks, bulk inserts of flat files, data transformations, and data loads from different sources.
Healthcare Billing Business Analytics
The client had healthcare billing data with around 360 million records, relying on Excel-based reports. They wanted to convert this transactional data into meaningful visual reports to analyze the business, have time-based analytics, KPIs, and make key business decisions.
Gathered the business requirements, understood the data flow, and migrated the relevant transactional data from the Prod system using ETL into an Azure SQL Server operational data store (ODS). Designed the dimensional models and implemented the DWH followed by ETL design through SSIS packages from ODS to the target data warehouse. Imported the DWH tables into Power BI Desktop and designed data modeling as per star schema, providing the clean data to start with the Power BI report.
The client was delighted with my work, and the CEO still uses the reports for his leadership meetings and business decisions. I created DAX measures to add aggregations for MTD, QTD, and YTD comparisons across trailing time measures spanning up to ten years of data.
"Jag has met my vision of migrating 360 million transaction data into robust Power BI reports, which I wanted so badly for the last seven years. Great work!" - CEO
COVID Tracing Analytics
This client wanted a Power BI report to trace COVID-related cases throughout their international office locations concerning employee badge entries and visitors who entered the specific building on the same day. Also, there was a need to integrate health verification data where each employee had to certify before entering the building if one had COVID symptoms or not.
Gathered all the requirements and understood the data elements related to this project. Used the SSIS ETL process to import Excel-based data into the DEV server for designing queries and then imported data into Power BI Desktop to create a data model and DAX measures. I followed the exact guidelines of how the client wants to see the data and designed visuals to support the requirements.
The client was delighted with the final Power BI report as per their requirements. Business users could see the results by dynamic current date selections and drill through to any specific employee to see all other contacted employees. The users were also able to see which employees filled out health verification forms and see who else was in that building on any given day with the help of visual indicators.
Service Level Agreements (SLA) Analytics
The scope was to display 8,000-10,000 PC hardware and software support tickets data each month and develop dynamic Power BI reports that will enable all managers and support engineers to monitor various tickets SLAs for different locations and point out the tickets that missed SLAs and meet the minimum of 85% SLA numbers for all tickets closed for multiple clients.
I understood the scope of work and logic defined for each SLA and then started designing database queries to provide dimensional data to support Power BI reports. I used T-SQL language to create stored procedures, used SSIS packages for ETL, and created automated jobs in SQL server to automate the availability of underlying data models for supporting Power BI reports.
I completed the project by delivering Power BI reports that helped all managers and engineers monitor various ticket related SLAs in the form of relevant and practical visual elements. The Power BI reports enabled the entire support team to meet the SLA timings, figure out the time and material costs, and stay positive above the threshold mark of 85% goals. The entire BI solution was fully automated.
T-SQL (Transact-SQL), SQL, C, Python
Microsoft Power BI, Microsoft Teams, Excel 2013, Microsoft Dynamics, Visual Studio, Excel 2016
Dimensional Modeling, ETL, Business Intelligence (BI), Database Design
SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS), Databases, Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Exchange Server, Database Modeling, SQL Server 2016, SQL Server 2012, Oracle RDBMS, PL/SQL, Data Pipelines, Azure SQL, Azure SQL Databases
Data Warehousing, DAX, Data Analysis, Data Modeling, Data Warehouse Design, Engineering, Data Structures, Microprocessors, Algorithm Design, Combinatorics, Internetworking, Web Servers, Microsoft Systems Management Server (SMS), Azure SQL Data Warehouse (SQL DW), ITIL V3 Foundation Certified, Computer Science, Graph Theory, Algorithms, System Administration, TCP/IP, Data Engineering, Azure Synapse Analytics, Azure Data Lake, Azure Data Factory, Azure Data Lake Analytics, QA Testing
Bachelor of Science in Engineering Degree in Computer Engineering
Oakland University - Rochester, MI
Exam 70-778: Analyzing and Visualizing Data with Microsoft Power BI
MCSE: Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer