Lead Software Developer2020 - PRESENTBettr Software Ltd
Technologies: Laravel 5, PHP, Event Sourcing, Domain-driven Design (DDD)
- Led software developer in a small team of software developers, setup and managed by myself.
- Worked with a small selection (around three) of ongoing clients, continually improving existing software products, as well as building new software to help their teams efficiency.
- Worked directly with end clients to plan, prioritize and implement both longer-term and shorter-term goals, generally working in a flexible way and focusing only on the next two weeks of priority tasks.
Laravel Developer2018 - 2020Method & Class
- Helped create a progressive web application for car unlocking, using Vue.js and Vuex with unit testing and a Laravel back end.
- Pushed for best practices such as test-driven development—for example, in my first few weeks, I implemented an integration testing framework for the legacy untested front end.
- Developed products using Scrum and Agile development methods.
- Built new RESTish (and REST and Hypermedia) API endpoints and improved existing endpoints.
- Built new Vue.js components (with tests) and updated existing ones.
Laravel Developer2018 - 2018TimeSlotPro
Technologies: Vue.js, PHPUnit, Laravel
- Implemented language switching functionality on a pre-existing Laravel codebase. This involved customizing some pre-existing third-party language code and covering the functionality with tests.
- Implemented a referral system on said existing codebase. The existing codebase had no tests or DB migration files, so part of this project was to get the system to a testable state. This involved, for example, using Jeffery Ways migration to generate migrations for existing tables to be used in the test suite.
- Added test coverage for user sign-ups as part of the referral project, always looking to improve the general code as I go rather than simply focus on "my part."
eCommerce Lead Developer2017 - 2018RevUpSports (via Toptal)
Technologies: jQuery, PHP
- Took over the client's website, which was performing very badly (40+ seconds per page load) to optimize performance and review code.
- Went through the theme and extensions one by one, removing all but vital items and replacing poor performers that were necessary with quality extensions and custom code.
- Improved the core system to handle a large number of configurable products on the website.
- Installed a fresh theme and customized it to client specifications.
Freelance eCommerce Developer2015 - 2017CreatorsImage (via Toptal)
Technologies: Zend Framework, PHP, Magento
- Managed multiple aspects of an enterprise store as the sole Magento developer.
- Upgraded Magento Enterprise.
- Investigated current code and made speed improvements using tools such as Magento ECG.
- Replaced multiple third-party modules with better, faster, more reliable extensions using past knowledge of good providers.
Software Engineer2015 - 2017TheExtensionLab
Technologies: PHP, Magento
- Created an easy to extend, customizable MegaMenu Extension for Magento 1.x.
- Researched and started to build Magento 2.x modules.
- Wrote many small open-source Magento modules: multi-select filters, status colors, and custom contact URL.
- Worked on making modules compatible with other third-party modules that would normally conflict without them having knowledge of each other.
- Built GitHub API integration for customers to be automatically added to a private repo for purchased modules.
- Uploaded many modules to the Magento Connect system.
- Created a custom front end for theextensionlab.com.
Owner2012 - 2015BornBarefoot, Ltd.
Technologies: CSS3, HTML5, PHP, Magento
- Developed this full eCommerce website using Magento.
- Developed many small custom modules, e.g., advanced product alerts and custom category URLs.
- Upgraded the store from Magento 1.6 to 1.9.
- Secured suppliers, distributors, and manufactures.
- Extended BornBarefoot's reach through SEO and social media marketing.
- Provided outstanding customer after-sales support via phone email and LiveChat.
Magento Developer2014 - 2014Webtise, Ltd., Bromborough
Technologies: Grunt, Git, PHP, Magento
- Created a custom product type module in Magento.
- Integrated with third-party omni-channel systems.
- Built multiple themed Magento stores from scratch.
- Created many small Magento modules.
Freelance Magento Developer2009 - 2014Gentocom
Technologies: Prototype Framework, CSS, HTML, PHP, Magento
- Built many Magento stores from scratch.
- Managed existing Magento websites, making changes of all sizes.
- Managed customer expectations throughout the project to ensure timely site delivery.
- Worked with web agencies as a subcontractor for some larger eCommerce projects.
- Kept the stores up to date on the latest Magento versions.