Mobile Application Developer
With a PhD in computer science and over 18 years of experience creating mobile applications, Joel has a passion for creating flawless user interfaces and applications that exceed expectations. In addition, his knowledge of databases and back-end requirements gives him a deep understanding of an application's complete architecture.
ExperienceiOS - 17 yearsFirebase - 10 yearsAmazon Web Services (AWS) - 8 yearsSwift - 7 yearsSOLID Principles - 6 yearsReact Native - 3 yearsAugmented Reality (AR) - 2 yearsNode.js - 1 year
Unix, Android, iOS, Model View Viewmodel (MVVM), Mobile App Development, User Experience (UX)
The most amazing...
...project was leading a diverse, distributed team to not only meet all strategic goals for the year but do so while maintaining a 47% retention rate for the app.
Lead Augmented Reality Engineer
- Architected and implemented an iOS-based augmented reality training application that allowed for both solo AR sessions and a shared AR experience by embedding the AR session into a multi-person VTC (video teleconferencing) call.
- Led the joint front- and back-end team effort to define the system architecture's microservices for a modular, reusable, performant, and cost-efficient back end.
- Worked to translate the company's strategic roadmap from long-term deliverables down to day-to-day operations for the mobile team while reliably meeting deadline after deadline.
- Maintained the team's focus on quality by continually adapting, improving, and polishing the designs under changing requirements.
Lead Mobile Engineer
- Managed the small but highly effective engineering team that was able to change how a Fortune 50 company creates and maintains the software.
- Created the core fleet application that became The Cat App: Caterpillar's central flagship mobile application. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/cat-app-fleet-management/id1258931644.
- Developed and performed a side-by-side evaluation of a single application against three frameworks: KMM (Kotlin Multiplatform Mobile) with Native SwiftUI, React Native, and Flutter.
- Mentored several team members from being on the verge of termination to being senior, reliable engineers who now help to drive the team's vision and mentor others.
- Transformed the team's strategic roadmap into actionable sprint plans while meeting the ever-changing requirements of the company's product owners and stakeholders.
Lead Mobile BLE Engineer
Bleu Tech Enterprises, Inc.
- Designed and implemented core BLE libraries for merchant and client, iOS, Android, and UWP, to facilitate encrypted payment transactions via Bluetooth.
- Optimized the BLE bandwidth while allowing messages of arbitrary size in multiple communication channels.
- Coordinated with a diverse team spanning three continents to meet all project milestones ahead of schedule.
CTO | Lead Engineer
- Assisted in writing research grant proposals for the NSF, documenting the application's innovative approaches toward sleep therapy.
- Revamped the existing system architecture to improve performance, maintainability, and scalability.
- Contributed to guide the long-term vision of the project.
Co-founder | Lead Engineer
- Co-led a small team to design and implement a web-based, group coordination application that utilizes a PostgreSQL database supporting a Grails-based server with an AngularJS-based client.
- Managed a remote quality assurance team to provide detailed testing results in time with a rapid development and deployment schedule.
- Worked in coordination with the marketing team to provide agile-based user feedback—a development cycle that resulted in an efficient and responsive product development strategy that was in line with users’ needs.
Senior Software Engineer
- Designed and developed Ipsy’s iOS mobile application that services thousands of users and receives an overall five-star rating (a link to the app can be found in my Experience section).
- Created a novel interface allowing the mobile and web applications to seamlessly communicate.
- Assisted with mentoring junior engineers by teaching them proper engineering techniques and assimilating them into Ipsy's culture.
Applied Signal Technology
- Designed, implemented, and maintained a Qt-based graphics library that allowed the user to view and manipulate numerous STM-256 signals down to the sub-VGC level in real-time.
- Developed and maintained a multithreaded C++ client/server application for signal analysis to continually meet the customer’s evolving requirements. Communication between the client and the server was done via CORBA.
- Manipulated SDH and PDH signal structures to perform various operations on the information in the data streams.
- Conducted design and code reviews for all team members in an effort to both improve the product as well as guide junior members of the team.
Cat® App: Fleet Managementhttps://apps.apple.com/us/app/cat-app-fleet-management/id1258931644?ls=1
I was responsible for leading the team as well as personally responsible for 100% of the iOS codebase.
Ipsy's iOS Mobile Applicationhttps://apps.apple.com/us/app/ipsy-beauty-makeup-tips/id1016673544
Write Once, Deploy Everywhere: When to Go Native?
iOS SDK, UIKit, Core Bluetooth, iOS SceneKit, GameKit, SwiftUI, Core Location, Android SDK, React Native, ARKit, Core Data, Redux, Flutter, Swing
HealthKit, Core Image, AVKit, Firebase iOS SDK, Firebase Android SDK, SpriteKit, Core Animation, REST APIs, iOS Native Libraries, Auth, ReactiveX, CocoaPods, Facebook API, Fitbit API, RxSwift, Android API, Node.js, React, Core Graphics
Apple HealthKit, Xcode, Interface Builder, Auto Layout, Firebase Analytics, Git, XML Interface Builder (XIB), iTunes Connect, Fastlane, Android Studio, Sirikit, Firebase Cloud Messaging (FCM), Figma, GitHub, Jira, Amazon Transcribe
Model View Viewmodel (MVVM), MVC Design, Model View Controller (MVC), Model View Intent (MVI), Model View Presenter (MVP), Requirements Analysis, Agile, UX Design, Unit Testing, Test-driven Development (TDD), Scrum, Design Patterns, Mobile Development, Dependency Injection, Concurrent Programming, Azure DevOps, REST
Bitrise, Mobile, iOS, Android, Firebase, Amazon Web Services (AWS), iAd, Bluetooth LE, Mapbox, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Unix, Heroku, AWS Lambda, UWP, Universal Windows Platform (UWP), Azure
Cloud Firestore, Firebase Realtime Database, MySQL, JSON, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Realm, Azure Cloud Services
APIs, Models, Model View, SDKs, Carthage, Code Architecture, Agile Sprints, Architecture, Technical Leadership, Leadership, Bluetooth, Team Leadership, UI Testing, Apple Design, Mobile App Development, API Integration, User Experience (UX), UI Animation, User Interface (UI), Mobile Apps, SOLID Principles, Front-end Development, Mobile UI, Mobile UX, iPad, Location Services, Mobile Architecture, Apps, Mobile Streaming, Firebase Cloud Functions, AVFoundation, Networking, CTO, WebSockets, Combine, Payment Gateways, Payment APIs, CI/CD Pipelines, Augmented Reality (AR), Lambda Functions, Serverless, Fintech, Mobile Banking, Technical Architecture, eCommerce, Video Streaming, VoIP, GPS, Internet of Things (IoT), Streaming, OAuth, Kotlin Multiplatform, Front-end, Back-end, Full-stack, Reinforcement Learning, Elliptic Curve Cryptography, Kotlin Multiplatform Mobile (KMM), Animation, Algorithms, Google Fit, SVG Animation, Dashboards, Cryptocurrency Wallets, Mobile Wallet, Audio Streaming
PhD in Computer Science
University of California, Santa Cruz - Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Master of Science (MSc) Degree in Computer Science
San Jose State University - San Jose, CA, USA
Bachelor of Science (BSc) Degree with Honors in Computer Science
San Jose State University - San Jose, CA, USA