Verified Expert in Engineering
John is an experienced developer specializing in data visualization platforms and high-frequency-low-latency data processing systems. His pedigree includes building analytics dashboards at Microsoft, developing a real-time ad exchange platform that processes over 5 billion auctions a day at Index Exchange, and contracting independent projects for corporations. Since 2021, John has been at Bloomberg developing BQuant, Bloomberg's data visualization and quantitative investment workflows platform.
The most amazing...
...data visualization tool I've developed is valuencer.io, which has unique charts with drag interactions used by L'Oréal Canada to price their influencers.
Senior Software Engineer
- Developed the BQuant Instrumentation / telemetry pipeline which provides real time usage patterns. Produced a standardized message format across BQuant contexts, and common session ID to track the user across the various BQuant platforms they use.
- Send Project Workflow – Developed a React modal enabling BQuant users to search people to send projects to. Built numerous Python API routes to resolve user details by partial name, UUID, and community ID, and execute the project sending.
- Embedded Bloomberg auth state into BQuant sessions, and refined the backend auth server to handle custom redirect and cookie allocation workflows - allowing users to access any external, protected Bloomberg resources without needing to re-login.
- Oversee the agile methodology practices of my team (5 members) – lead sprint planning, backlog grooming & retros, my iterative process has improved work estimation accuracy and productivity (story point completion rate) by 30%.
- Built various full-stack software services and created educational content production for multiple clients ranging from corporations and university students to individuals with total billing exceeding $20 thousand.
- Developed an Instagram influencer pricing tool called valuencer.io with a Vue.js front end and Python Flask back end for L'Oréal Canada.
- Created a dashboard of interactive charts for valuencer.io to present historical post engagements (likes and comments) and data drag and drop feature to help users pinpoint an ideal future post engagement target and determine the associated price.
- Founded Simplify McGill, an organization helping students navigate life in Montreal through articles, media posts, and events. Managed 12 individuals split into content and marketing teams that coordinate the production and promotion of our material.
- Led Simplify McGill. Its website simplifymcgill.com achieved traffic of over 400 monthly readers and Facebook and Instagram communities' reach of over 4,000 likes and followers.
- Built a web app SIMVO Degree Planner that helped over 1,000 McGill students plan and manage their academic degrees while I was at McGill. Received $15,000 and the Scarlet Key, McGill’s most prestigious award for extracurricular activities.
- Recorded an online software programming course for SIMVO Education and taught it to university students, working professionals, and a cohort in Nigeria. My latest student acquired a new job as a configuration engineer with a 22,000 salary increase.
Senior Software Engineer
- Built and deployed high-frequency-low-latency solutions that power real-time advertising auctions to distributed systems on 6,000 Linux servers in 10 DCs worldwide, processing over 50 billion requests and generating more than 1TB a day.
- Gathered requirements from the product team. Wrote design and testing specs. Executed implementation and testing, including unit, regression, and CI/CD pipeline. Supplied post push verification steps to operational teams using Bash and Apache Kafka.
- Discovered that advertisers return the highest value bids when given maximum time to respond, minimizing auction latency. Identified various Perl auction setup workflows as optimization targets using code profiling tools.
- Designed an experimental framework that quickly built and deployed new experimental releases, paired with a real-time data pipeline using Kafka, InfluxDB, and Grafana, to analyze optimization outcomes, such as advertiser bid response rates and spend.
- Relied on Grafana analytics dashboard to provide feedback on MVP release performance. After MVP3 was deployed, the setup latency dropped by 40ms (25%), translating to a $110 thousand per day ad spending increase.
- Built a Python Kafka consumer analyzing auction dynamics and bidding behavior. Designed a statistical algorithm that produced a competitive index (CI) based on a winning bid against the distribution of other bids.
- Used CI to maximize bidder price reduction without letting them loose in the downstream auction. Reduced the mean price per ad and led to over 10% savings for advertisers.
- Supported the Microsoft federal sales office with weekly sales reports and dashboards, helping them reach the goal of streamlining the Government of Canada's digital transformation and attaining an FY18 quota of over $120 million.
- Managed and enhanced a Power BI dashboard used for our weekly tech-sales cycle management, which enabled the team’s coordination on quota attainment, opportunity tracking, and identification of crucial enablers in deals.
- Initiated the development of Azure consumed revenue (ACR) projection reports that all account managers used for FY18 territory presentations presented to global sales directors.
- Built a program that drafted a word contract based on an Excel purchase order. Deployed it to Microsoft's software reseller, reducing contract writing time by 95% and drafting $80+ million worth of enterprise contracts with the Government of Canada.
Valuence: Influencer Pricing Toolhttps://valuence.io
• A visually appealing dashboard of interactive charts presenting influencers' historical post engagements, such as likes and comments.
• A chart data point dragging feature helping marketers pinpoint an ideal future post engagement target and determine the associated price.
• A dragging feature updating all other charts in real time to maintain consistency with a desired new post's date and time and allow easy engagement comparison to previous posts.
• Pricing also updates in real-time on drag, allowing immediate determination of a correct price to charge based on estimated engagement performance.
L'Oréal Canada is currently using this tool in Montreal, saving over 40% of the marketing budget on the analyzed influencers.
ResearchFDI - FDI 365 Platformhttps://researchfdi.com
• The visualization layer of their data was managed in the Zoho CRM platform.
• The platform allowed users to search for a company meeting specific investment criteria and see detailed views of said companies with charts, graphs, and numerical calculations representing key company factors.
• There were additional views such as an article vault to view historical data on older companies in the system.
-This product nets over $200 thousand per year for ResearchFDI.
I oversaw 12 individuals split into a content team that continuously produces articles, videos, and other media and a marketing team that promotes the created content.
The website simplifymcgill.com has over 400 monthly readers and its Facebook and Instagram communities have over 4,000 likes and followers.
SIMVO was tasked to oversee the development of the eKYC branch of KAJ’s trade financing platform, which automated the due diligence process of applicants. We implemented applicant company email and website domain verification, user background & credit check, and an AI photo-recognition based document tampering detection system to verify the validity of supporting documents.
KAJ Medical currently has revenues exceeding $5M per year, and demoes of the eKYC product has helped them raise an additional $1M in funding.
Angular, Django, Flask, Next.js, Bootstrap, .NET
Chart.js, React, Vue, Node.js, REST APIs, OpenCV
Amazon EC2, Firebase, Docker, Zoho CRM
Data Analytics, Data Visualization, Full-stack, Machine Learning, Low-latency Software, CI/CD Pipelines, Web Scraping, Data Scraping, APIs, Analytical Thinking, Critical Thinking, Complex Reasoning, Linear Regression, Logistic Regression, Neural Networks, Support Vector Machines (SVM), Unsupervised Learning, Recommendation Systems, OCR, Deluge, Leadership, IT Management, SEO Marketing, Large Language Models (LLMs), OpenAI, Image Recognition
Microsoft Power BI, Kafka Streams, Apache, NGINX, Ansible, WiX, Facebook Ads Manager, Advertising Tools & Platforms
Unit Testing, UI Design, Anomaly Detection, Agile Software Development, Management, Agile
MongoDB, MySQL, Cloud Firestore, Aerospike
Bachelor's Degree in Biochemistry
McGill University - Montreal, Canada
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring