Verified Expert in Engineering
Jonathan is a full-stack engineer with more than ten years of experience. He is comfortable working on large-scale distributed systems and client-facing, single-page web apps. Jonathan also excels at big data and is often involved with social media-related analytics projects.
Git, MacOS, Linux, Visual Studio Code (VS Code)
The most amazing...
...thing I've built is a scraping infrastructure and big data pipeline to digest and index all of Pinterest for an image analytics platform.
Director of Engineering
- Charged with shipping products and services on time and with high quality.
- Facilitated an engineering culture that attracts, retains, and develops top talent.
- Set engineering department goals and KPIs that support company strategy.
- Worked with leadership to grow the engineering team and achieve our product development goals.
- Worked on the core and cloud teams at Streamlit, the fastest way to build and share data apps.
- Collaborated in monitoring and alerting, APIs, microservices, infrastructure automation, and on-call rotation in our Kubernetes-based platform as a service, Streamlit Cloud.
- Participated in Python memory profiling, continuous integration and deployment, caching internals, and new 3rd party integrations to the open-source library on Streamlit Core.
- Provided DevOps services for Hone, the all-in-one leadership development platform for modern, distributed teams.
- Built infrastructure automation tooling to deploy and manage a Docker Swarm cluster.
- Developed the build and system for our containerized Node.js platform layer.
- Led the development of Kiro, a tool that helps your software engineering team eliminate project delays and multiply your efficiency and effectiveness.
- Developed the data harvester, APIs, and user-facing web app that allowed integration with various project management providers and pulling their data.
- Built infrastructure automation tooling to allow repeated deployment of our platform and data layers.
- Built a music social network where users could create and share musical stories with their followers.
- Led a small team of developers across native and back-end development using Agile methodologies.
- Interfaced with the product and other executives to determine the strategy and drive technical direction.
- Integrated data from multiple APIs, including Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Spotify, and Apple Music.
- Provided API development, DevOps, data harvesting, and search.
- Developed an app that connects you with volunteer opportunities in your area daily.
- Led a small team of developers across native and back-end development.
- Managed daily processes using Agile methodologies.
- Drove technical direction for the determined feature sets.
- Developed the back-end platform for a hotel booking website similar to Priceline.com.
- Designed and implemented REST APIs in Flask for our iOS client.
- Converted PSDs to pixel-perfect web pages for our admin site.
Director of Engineering
- Developed the back end for a mobile app that helps people shop while in a store.
- Created a mobile web app using Meteor that we incorporated into the native iOS app for a hybrid solution.
- Managed a hybrid onsite/remote team of four developers across the back end, web, and mobile.
- Drove technical projects and provided leadership in a fast-paced environment.
- Led project management and recruiting, working directly with the CEO to ensure the proper planning, execution, and success of the product.
- Refactored and extended the Django-based analytics platform layer to support additional social media sites beyond Facebook.
- Designed and implemented a distributed, fault-tolerant, and scalable data collection topology using Storm and other modern big data technologies.
- Migrated hundreds of gigabytes of data between PostgreSQL, Cassandra, and Elasticsearch, ensuring data sanity and zero data loss.
- Managed cloud infrastructure on Amazon EC2, in charge of server performance and on-call support.
- Extended the Twitter platform to allow for historical data with Gnip integration.
- Designed and developed a system allowing variable-range-windowed and time-series metrics on user and category properties.
- Worked on a dating app that helps users find genuine, offline connections by utilizing the Facebook API to introduce users to friends-of-friends.
- Administered the Neo4J database for complex Facebook graph operations and "smart matching."
- Conducted JVM tuning and analysis for optimal performance, detecting memory leaks in one of our scripts and allowing for 10x future growth.
- Implemented various platform features with Django and MongoDB.
- Mentored younger engineers on cloud infrastructure and distributed systems.
- Developed the data framework for a web app that embeds smart watermarks into images so retail companies can share, track, and manage them for eCommerce purposes.
- Created a robust data pipeline and scalable infrastructure to scrape and index Pinterest.
- Reduced disconnected raw data about pins into network trees based on root pins, which allowed us to provide analytics on the virality and network effect of original content.
- Developed a system that used MongoDB as the bucket for processed MapReduce data, allowing users to execute time-series queries.
- Designed efficient data partitioning schemes in Amazon S3.
- Developed the back end for beautiful, fun, and engaging games that can be played anywhere on mobile devices.
- Worked with various technologies on projects related to real-time analytics and scalable social gaming architecture.
- Designed and developed a scalable click-tracking service, similar to bit.ly, for direct ad partners. It is a very high-traffic service with weekend ad spends often exceeding $1 million.
- Implemented a Cassandra-backed "saved game state" service layer to migrate our JSON blobs off MySQL.
- Created a multilayer architecture to allow for fault tolerance and independent layer scalability.
- Designed and implemented secure REST APIs for mobile clients.
- Analyzed and rewrote inefficient SQL queries. Wore many hats across DevOps, database administration (DBA), and back-end development.
Flask, Django, Storm, Hadoop, Express.js, gRPC, Scrapy, Cypress, Fastify, Svelte, Tailwind CSS
REST, Unit Testing, Distributed Programming, DevOps, Microservices
Amazon EC2, Linux, Docker, Amazon Web Services (AWS), JVM, AWS Elastic Beanstalk, Kubernetes, Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
MongoDB, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Elasticsearch, PostgreSQL, Cassandra, Redis, MySQL, Apache Hive, NoSQL, Vertica, Neo4j, Data Integration
API Integration, APIs, Data Engineering, Pulumi, HAProxy, ECS, Ethers.js, Hardhat, SaaS, Architecture, Web Scraping, Scraping, Data Scraping
Node.js, YouTube API, Spotify API, Apple Music API, Jira REST API, React, GitHub API, REST APIs
Git, Ansible, Docker Swarm, CircleCI, RabbitMQ, NGINX
Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science
Brown University - Rhode Island
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring