- CTOMelody2016 - 2018
Technologies: Python, Flask, MongoDB, Redis, Elasticsearch, RabbitMQ, Ansible, EC2, S3, IAM
- Built a music social network where users could create musical stories and share them with their followers.
- Led a small team of developers across native and back-end development, using agile methodologies.
- Interfaced with product and other executives to determine strategy and drive technical direction.
- Integrated data from multiple APIs including Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Spotify, and Apple Music.
- Provided API development, DevOps, data harvesting, and search.
- CTODeed2016 - 2016
Technologies: Node.js, Express, MongoDB, AWS Beanstalk
- Developed an app that connects you with volunteer opportunities in your area on a daily basis.
- Led a small team of developers across native and back-end development.
- Managed daily processes using agile methodologies.
- Drove technical direction for determined feature sets.
- Software EngineerStayful2016 - 2016
- Developed the back-end platform for a hotel booking website similar to Priceline.com.
- Designed and implemented REST APIs in Flask for our iOS client.
- Converted PSDs to pixel-perfect webpages for our admin site.
- Director of EngineeringGrsp2014 - 2015
- Developed the back-end for a mobile app that helps people shop while in a store.
- Developed a mobile web app using Meteor that we incorporated into the native iOS app for a hybrid solution.
- Managed a hybrid onsite/remote team of four developers across back-end, web, and mobile.
- Drove technical projects and provided leadership in a fast-paced environment.
- Led project management and recruiting, working directly with the CEO to ensure the proper planning, execution, and success of the product.
- Back-end EngineerShareablee2013 - 2014
Technologies: Python, Django, PostgreSQL, Redis, RabbitMQ, Storm, Cassandra, Elasticsearch
- Refactored and extended the Django-based analytics platform layer to support additional social media sites, beyond Facebook.
- Designed and implemented a distributed, fault-tolerant, and scalable data collection topology, using Storm and other modern big data technologies.
- Migrated hundreds of gigabytes of data between PostgreSQL, Cassandra, and Elasticsearch, while ensuring data sanity and zero loss of data.
- Managed cloud infrastructure on AWS EC2, in charge of server performance and on-call support.
- Extended the Twitter platform to allow for historical data with Gnip integration.
- Designed and developed a system that allowed for variable-range-windowed and time-series metrics on user and category properties.
- Server EngineerHinge2013 - 2013
Technologies: Python, Django, Neo4J, Gremlin, Groovy, JVM
- Worked on a dating app that helps users find genuine, offline connections by utilizing the Facebook API to only introduce users to friends-of-friends.
- Administered the Neo4J database for complex Facebook graph operations and "smart matching."
- Conducted JVM tuning and analysis for optimal performance, detecting memory leaks in one of our scripts and allowing for 10x future growth.
- Implemented platform features across Django and MongoDB.
- Mentored younger engineers on cloud infrastructure and distributed systems.
- Data EngineerPict2012 - 2012
Technologies: Python, Hive
- Developed the data framework for a web app that embeds smart watermarks into images so that retail companies can share, track, and manage them for eCommerce purposes.
- Developed a robust data pipeline and scalable infrastructure to scrape and index Pinterest.
- Reduced disconnected raw data about pins into network trees based on root pins, which allowed us to provide analytics on the virality and network effect of original content.
- Developed a system that used MongoDB as the bucket for processed MapReduce data, allowing the user to execute timeseries queries.
- Designed efficient data partitioning schemes in AWS S3.
- Server EngineerTinyCo2011 - 2012
Technologies: Python, Django, MySQL, Redis, Cassandra, Vertica, Hadoop, Java, Cloud, DevOps
- Developed the back-end for beautiful, fun, and engaging games that can be played anywhere on mobile devices.
- Worked with a wide variety of technologies on projects related to real-time analytics and scalable social gaming architecture.
- Designed and developed a scalable click-tracking service, similar to bit.ly, for direct ad partners. A very high-traffic service with weekend ad spend often exceeding USD $1 million.
- Implemented a Cassandra-backed "saved game state" service layer to migrate our JSON blobs off of MySQL.
- Designed a multi-layer architecture to allow for fault tolerance and layer independent scalability.
- Designed and implemented secure REST APIs for mobile clients.
- Analyzed and re-wrote inefficient SQL queries.
- Wore many hats across DevOps, DBA, and back-end development.