Director of Engineering2022 - PRESENTAmericana
Technologies: TypeScript, Fastify, SvelteKit, Tailwind CSS, ECS, Docker, PostgreSQL, Redis, Elasticsearch, CircleCI, Ethers.js, Solidity, Hardhat
- Responsible for shipping products and services on time and with high quality.
- Facilitated an engineering culture that attracts, retains, and develops top talent.
- Set engineering department goals and KPIs that support company strategy.
- Worked with leadership to grow the engineering team and achieve our product development goals.
Software Engineer2019 - 2021Streamlit
Technologies: Python, TypeScript, React, Kubernetes, Go, PostgreSQL, Pulumi's, gRPC, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), CircleCI, Cypress.io, SQL
- Worked on the Core and Cloud teams at Streamlit, the fastest way to build and share data apps.
- Collaborated in areas such as monitoring and alerting, APIs, microservices, infrastructure automation, and on-call rotation in our Kubernetes-based platform as a service, Streamlit Cloud.
- Participated in Python memory profiling, continuous integration and deployment, caching internals, and new 3rd party integrations to the open-source library on Streamlit Core.
DevOps Engineer2018 - 2019Hone
- Provided DevOps services for Hone, the all-in-one leadership development platform for modern, distributed teams.
- Built infrastructure automation tooling to deploy and manage a Docker Swarm cluster.
- Developed the build and system for our containerized Node.js platform layer.
Full-stack Engineer2018 - 2018Kiro
- Led the development of Kiro, a tool that helps your software engineering team eliminate project delays and multiply your efficiency and effectiveness.
- Developed the data harvester, APIs, and user-facing web app that allowed for integration with various project management providers and pulling their data.
- Built infrastructure automation tooling to allow repeatedly deploying our platform and data layers.
CTO2016 - 2018Melody
Technologies: Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Amazon EC2 (Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud), Ansible, RabbitMQ, Elasticsearch, Redis, MongoDB, Flask, Python
- Built a music social network where users could create musical stories and share them with their followers.
- Led a small team of developers across native and back-end development, using agile methodologies.
- Interfaced with the product and other executives to determine strategy and drive technical direction.
- Integrated data from multiple APIs, including Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Spotify, and Apple Music.
- Provided API development, DevOps, data harvesting, and search.
CTO2016 - 2016Deed
Technologies: AWS Elastic Beanstalk, MongoDB, Express.js, Node.js
- Developed an app that connects you with volunteer opportunities in your area daily.
- Led a small team of developers across native and back-end development.
- Managed daily processes using agile methodologies.
- Drove technical direction for the determined feature sets.
Software Engineer2016 - 2016Stayful
- Developed the back-end platform for a hotel booking website similar to Priceline.com.
- Designed and implemented REST APIs in Flask for our iOS client.
- Converted PSDs to pixel-perfect web pages for our admin site.
Director of Engineering2014 - 2015Grsp
- Developed the back-end for a mobile app that helps people shop while in a store.
- Created a mobile web app using Meteor that we incorporated into the native iOS app for a hybrid solution.
- Managed a hybrid onsite/remote team of four developers across back-end, web, and mobile.
- Drove technical projects and provided leadership in a fast-paced environment.
- Led project management and recruiting, working directly with the CEO to ensure the proper planning, execution, and success of the product.
Back-end Engineer2013 - 2014Shareablee
Technologies: Elasticsearch, Cassandra, Storm, RabbitMQ, Redis, PostgreSQL, Django, Python, SQL
- Refactored and extended the Django-based analytics platform layer to support additional social media sites beyond Facebook.
- Designed and implemented a distributed, fault-tolerant, and scalable data collection topology using Storm and other modern big data technologies.
- Migrated hundreds of gigabytes of data between PostgreSQL, Cassandra, and Elasticsearch, ensuring data sanity and zero loss of data.
- Managed cloud infrastructure on AWS EC2, in charge of server performance and on-call support.
- Extended the Twitter platform to allow for historical data with Gnip integration.
- Designed and developed a system that allowed for variable-range-windowed and time-series metrics on user and category properties.
Server Engineer2013 - 2013Hinge
Technologies: JVM, Groovy, Gremlin, Neo4j, Django, Python
- Worked on a dating app that helps users find genuine, offline connections by utilizing the Facebook API to introduce users to friends-of-friends.
- Administered the Neo4J database for complex Facebook graph operations and "smart matching."
- Conducted JVM tuning and analysis for optimal performance, detecting memory leaks in one of our scripts and allowing for 10x future growth.
- Implemented various platform features with Django and MongoDB.
- Mentored younger engineers on cloud infrastructure and distributed systems.
Data Engineer2012 - 2012Pict
Technologies: Apache Hive, Python, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), MongoDB, Scrapy
- Developed the data framework for a web app that embeds smart watermarks into images so that retail companies can share, track, and manage them for eCommerce purposes.
- Created a robust data pipeline and scalable infrastructure to scrape and index Pinterest.
- Reduced disconnected raw data about pins into network trees based on root pins, which allowed us to provide analytics on the virality and network effect of original content.
- Developed a system that used MongoDB as the bucket for processed MapReduce data, allowing the user to execute time-series queries.
- Designed efficient data partitioning schemes in AWS S3.
Server Engineer2011 - 2012TinyCo
Technologies: DevOps, Java, Hadoop, Vertica, Cassandra, Redis, MySQL, Django, Python, AWS, SQL
- Developed the back-end for beautiful, fun, and engaging games that can be played anywhere on mobile devices.
- Worked with a wide variety of technologies on projects related to real-time analytics and scalable social gaming architecture.
- Designed and developed a scalable click-tracking service, similar to bit.ly, for direct ad partners. A very high-traffic service with weekend ad spends often exceeding $1 million.
- Implemented a Cassandra-backed "saved game state" service layer to migrate our JSON blobs off MySQL.
- Created a multi-layer architecture to allow for fault tolerance and independent layer scalability.
- Designed and implemented secure REST APIs for mobile clients.
- Analyzed and re-wrote inefficient SQL queries.
- Wore many hats across DevOps, DBA, and back-end development.