Verified Expert in Engineering
Jonathan is a software engineer with over a decade of commercial experience. He's currently the head of technology and product at a multi-billion-dollar global conglomerate where he serves as Group CTO. Jonathan holds board positions at an HFT company and a B2B SaaS company, which he co-founded and grew to profitability before fully handing over the day-to-day responsibilities to staff.
Sublime Text 3, Slack, Git, IntelliJ, Ubuntu
The most amazing...
...was being the group CTO, building a new team, and stabilizing the core product, doubling the annual revenue to $1+ billion within six months.
A Global Tech Company
- Stabilized and grew the product offering and doubled the number of countries the products are offered in, doubling revenues to >$1B within 6 months.
- Oversaw the company's technology and product departments, managing a team of directors, and hundreds of employees.
- Hired 60+ employees across half-a-dozen countries.
- Integrated with numerous third-party payment providers, SMS providers, data feeds, and analytics tools.
- Enforced best practices for all of the company's security concerns.
Co-founder | Board Member
A Global B2B SaaS Company
- Wrote the entire back-end codebase from scratch.
- Managed a team of developers to create an MVP.
- Directed the product decisions.
- Hired world-class talent to take over day-to-day work.
- Closed B2B sales in global markets.
Co-founder | CTO
An HFT Company
- Built the company with my co-founder from nothing to more than $1 million of profit in less than six months.
- Ensured the orderly running of the company's technology.
- Participated in high-level business strategy discussions.
- Managed teams of software developers and operations staff.
- Traveled to conferences around the world to represent the company, closing numerous 6-digit and 7-digit B2B deals.
- Managed client relationships.
Senior Software Engineer
An HFT Company
- Managed a team of four developers—ensuring that deadlines are met for the business's priorities.
- Developed high-frequency-trading (HFT) solutions for the cryptocurrency market (primarily with Java 8).
- Created custom trading algorithms for novel/cutting-edge financial instruments.
- Integrated with various cryptocurrency exchanges' APIs in order to perform algorithmic trading.
- Implemented advanced, cross-exchange arbitrage systems.
Freelance Software Engineer
JS Software Solutions, Ltd.
- Configured and managed the environments and deployment pipelines of high-traffic, load-balanced, autoscaling websites, and APIs; primarily with AWS and Jenkins.
- Consulted with startups on architecture and how to implement robust software development life cycles with Agile best practices.
- Created various websites and mobile applications to generate passive income while also learning new technologies and programming paradigms.
- Developed Java (Spring) web applications used in betting terminals across thousands of William Hill stores.
- Modified and debugged Node.js and React codebases.
- Utilized TDD, pair programming, continuous integration (CI), and other best practices in an Agile work environment.
- Configured intercommunicating microservices to decouple responsibilities and allow for horizontal scaling.
- Integrated with various external services including OpenBet and BetFair.
- Utilized the Java Spring framework to develop web applications and APIs that are hit millions of times per day.
- Deployed software and managed environments with Amazon Web Services (EB, EC2, RDS, S3, and so on).
- Experimented in a wide range of languages including Node.js, React, and AngularJS.
- Maintained and contributed to internal open source projects.
- Promoted continuous integration (CI), continuous delivery (CD), test-driven development (TDD), pair programming, code reviews, and general best practices in an Agile environment.
- Managed the full lifecycle of software used by millions of customers—from requirements capturing and estimation through to long-term maintenance and support.
Jagex Games Studio
- Designed, developed, modified, tested, and deployed Spring MVC and Spring Boot Java web applications used by millions of users. Examples include a bespoke account management system and a player stats system.
- Deployed remotely game server builds via a Unix terminal.
- Analyzed and modified Bash and Python scripts for deployment and maintenance tasks.
- Developed PHP plugins for websites.
- Created automated Selenium regression tests that implemented the Page Object design pattern.
- Utilized agile/scrum, Annotations, Generics, Git VCS, HTML, HTTP servlets and containers, Java EE, JBoss, JDBC, JSON, JUnit, OOA/D, Maven, REST, SQL, Subversion (SVN) VCS, and Unix/Bash scripting.
Mobile Application Developer
- Developed bespoke iOS and Android apps for SMEs.
- Created and managed the company's website.
- Produced marketing material, e.g., videos, ads, and so on.
- Converted wireframes to fully operational applications.
- Gathered requirements from customers.
First Class Creative, Ltd.
- Developed WordPress websites for clients around the world.
- Managed servers for SMEs (Apache/Nginx configuration, DNS setup, SFTP creation, and more).
- Created desktop applications for letting agencies.
- Managed social media for student-related businesses (bars, clubs, student sublets, and more).
- Deployed websites for SMEs.
- Managed web servers.
- Designed web pages.
- Modified legacy websites.
- Advised SMEs on technology choices and hosting solutions.
Block N Load
US Elections API
Spring Boot, Mockito, JUnit, Spring JDBC, Spring ORM, Hibernate, Selenium, Redux, Spring, AngularJS
REST APIs, JMS, WebDriver, Spring REST, Stripe, Stripe API, Selenium WebDriver, React, Node.js, Pandas, Vue, React Router, React Redux
REST, Agile, Continuous Integration (CI), Service-oriented Architecture (SOA), Continuous Deployment, Microservices, Scrum, Kanban
Amazon Web Services (AWS), Nexus, Ubuntu, Linux, AWS Elastic Beanstalk, Amazon EC2, WordPress, Blockchain, Oracle, Android, JBoss
Gradle, Apache Tomcat, Git, Amazon CloudWatch, Amazon Simple Queue Service (SQS), Apache Maven, Jenkins, IntelliJ, Slack, Sublime Text 3, Karma, Webpack, Babel, Webpack 2, NGINX, Vagrant, Apache
MySQL, Spring Data, PostgreSQL, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), MongoDB
Full-stack, Single-page Applications (SPA), Selenium Page Object, Cryptocurrency, WebSockets, Ajax, Cloud Foundry, Cloudflare, FIX Protocol
Bachelor of Science Degree with Honors in Computing Science
Huddersfield University - Huddersfield, UK