Verified Expert in Engineering
As an entrepreneur, Luís understands the importance of proactivity and results, and has learned the meaning of responsibility and accountability. He is more of a generalist than a specialist, though he loves the detail and deep understanding that comes from intense focus and work on development projects.
Subversion (SVN), Git, PyDev, Eclipse
The most amazing...
...piece of software I have ever built is a P2P lending website, built from scratch and integrating multiple technologies.
Tynker (via Toptal)
- Created an affiliate tracking system using PHP and MongoDB. Created a coupon management system, and integrated with the affiliation.
- Reworked purchase flow as a multi-step funnel, with a role-dependent experience and multiple possible entry points. Used Stripe API.
- Modernized existing PHP application extracting presentation logic and introducing layouts and unit tests using PHPUnit and Composer.
- Implemented Optimizely for A/B testing.
- Engaged with multiple marketing-driven projects with very short turnaround in a near-continuous deployment environment.
TST Media Inc. (via Toptal)
- Created a live sports scoring single-page application.
- Added new features to a client-side heavy, real-time web and mobile application.
Neuron Fuel Inc. (via Toptal)
- Developed a graphics painting application for the web (similar to MS Paint).
- Used the HTML5 canvas element to work on a graphics editor, extending the basic feature set with advanced features such as oval pen, 2D transforms, selection tools, cropping, etc.
Idle Games (via Toptal)
- Coded an administration tool for a social gaming title, leveraging and pushing the envelope on the Django admin (identified and fixed breaking points).
- Developed new generic views for reporting in Django and efficient retrieval of large datasets from Mongo DB.
- Created business critical APIs directly impacting monetization and game server operation.
- Handled performance sensitive work and was capable of handling a large scale operation.
- Implemented TDD and extensive unit-test coverage.
- Developed core technology for a company-sponsored Colony Framework open source project (featuring full-text search and UI widget library adapter).
- Developed back-end logic in Python, using Colony Framework and its MVC stack for an online invoicing solution.
- Used MySQL GIS functions to handle location-based search on a large knowledge base.
- Developed a stock management tool in C# and integrated it with Microsoft Excel.
RotoReality (via Toptal)
- Developed the Django templates for a Fantasy Sports web application.
- Worked extensively on the front-end doing everything from slicing the initial PNG mockups to creating the HTML and CSS and writing the actual Django templates.
Project Promoter, Lead Developer
- Developed and launched a crowdfunding platform focused on Peer-To-Peer Loans.
- Kicked-off a private beta with friends and family with real cash and loans.
- Wrote a simple yet very effective loan matching system in Prolog to support the platform operation.
- Wrote MSc thesis on “Combining Loan Requests and Investment Offers in Peer-To-Peer Lending”, and eventually presented the work in Intelligent Agents and Technologies for e-Business (IAT4EB) workshop in European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI) 2010.
- Failed to obtain regulatory clearance in Portugal, but assembled a team with the required skills and handed over the project.
- Handled third-line support (specialist level) for bespoke systems used by the Pricing Team of the Marketing Department of the largest retailer in Portugal (€5 billion revenue).
- Implemented functions including everything from getting the bug report from the second-line of support, performing test case reduction, analyzing a substantial quantity of legacy code and complex integration flows, diagnosing the problem, and implementing a solution that effectively fixed it in production.
- Assumed effective responsibility for the system as whole and performed training of new staff.
- Developed custom reports for the competitive intelligence team of a big retailer.
- Interfaced with the price benchmarking team to identify the business needs for the reports.
- Handled performance optimization for a series of existing reports using Oracle DBMS proprietary features.
- Developed an integration flow for one of the largest retailers in the world (£60 billion).
- Customized an Oracle Retail Pricing Management solution, a Java EE stack, to operate with one of the company’s master data management systems.
- Worked in the clients’ offices in the UK and traveled to Bangalore for knowledge transfer and training in the clients’ offshore development center.
Revision Control Subversion Adapter
Yellow Page Mobile Application
I used Qt Quick for quick time-to-market in the early stages of development. I created C++ extensions whenever necessary to extensively customize existing behavior. Technologies used include C++, Qt, Qt Quick, Qt Mobility, and Symbian.
I developed new classroom management features for the educational system. Technologies used include Ruby and Ruby on Rails.
À La Carte
Django, WebObjects, Pylons, .NET, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Colony Framework, Knockout (Knockout.js), Qt Quick, Qt
jQuery, React, OpenGL, Vue, Active Merchant, HTML5 Canvas, jQuery UI
Eclipse IDE, VMware, Git, PyDev, Subversion (SVN)
Test Automation, Mobile Development, Test-driven Development (TDD), OLAP
WordPress, Shopify, Oracle, Java EE, KornShell, AIX, Eclipse, iOS, Android
Architecture, Web Development, Software Development, Mobile App Development, Front-end Development, CubicWeb, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Mobile Apps, Test Engineer, TextSearch, SAP BusinessObjects (BO), BitTorrent, Plugins
Master of Science in Informatics and Computing Engineering
Faculdade de Engenharia da Universidade do Porto - Porto, Portugal