Freelance Web Developer | Formerly Team Leader2012 - PRESENTWolf & Badger
- Took on a functioning but struggling project and turned it around into an award-winning eCommerce web site, with the business continuing to grow 2-3 times year on year.
- Utilized my expertise in Python and Django to fix major performance problems on key pages.
- Implemented various designer-supplied graphical designs in HTML/CSS—adapting them to add responsive features.
- Worked with client to identify business needs, while utilizing knowledge of web trends, to both drive the business forward and enable subsequent large refactorings and cleanups.
- Scaled the development team up from being the sole member to a distributed team; including doing recruiting and online technical interviews, and introducing code review and other quality controls.
- Continued to implement large scale changes to the codebase to cope with new business needs - for example, converting the project to be multi-currency.
- Developed and released the testing library "Django-Functest" to aid testing requirements.
Freelance Web Developer2008 - 2011Cardiff University School of Medicine
- Participated in the design of a UI that emphasized semantic editing and designer-defined styling in order to make consistent styling across the site possible.
- Integrated into the editor a layout system that allowed users to create multicolumn layouts without the need for special templates or editing HTML.
- Implemented all of the above as a plugin to a Django CMS that was released as an independent open source project.
Software Developer2004 - 2006Diagonal Solutions
Technologies: C#, ASP.NET, Microsoft SQL Server
- Implemented bespoke, web-based business applications for government bodies—police departments and local councils—using C# and ASP.NET.
- Used and extended the company's in-house enterprise CMS solution.
- Delivered websites to exacting accessibility standards for public sector bodies.
- Used test-driven development to produce software of the highest quality.
Freelance Developer2002 - 2004Federal Mogul
Technologies: MS Excel, MS SQL Server, VBA
- Developed bespoke software for internal order processing.
- Performed business analysis of their existing ordering processes in order to provide equivalent software solutions, streamlined where possible.
- Worked within software constraints of a multinational company to provide accessible software.
- Provided end-to-end support for a new system from design to installation.
- Iterated a software solution rapidly in response to user needs and further business process clarifications.