Verified Expert in Engineering
Manuel is a seasoned developer with 10+ years of experience launching and growing software products, which handled transactions of millions of customers and petabytes of data for Fortune 500 companies. He has a solid background in leading and delivering data-intensive systems with challenging architectural concerns like scalability, performance, security, and compliance. Manuel enjoys learning about business models, securing new client deals, mentoring people, and helping teams grow.
MacOS, Go, Slack, Google Apps, Jira, Trello, GitHub, GitLab
The most amazing...
...product I've developed is points.com, a currency transaction platform that served millions of users and handled thousands of requests per second.
Senior Back-end Engineer
- Developed cloudsoda.io, a system for accelerated data movement and storage cost analytics.
- Contributed to a high-impact team of engineers writing Go microservices.
- Handled core features like petabyte transfer support, speed metrics, cost tracking, multi-cloud support, and self-updating binaries.
- Conducted performance optimizations across multiple system levels, such as the kernel, the operating system, the network infrastructure, the database, and the application.
- Decreased up to 95% of the execution time of critical database queries.
- Designed, documented, and implemented a gRPC API and a REST API.
- Ported the transfer agent to macOS and Windows using native APIs.
- Collaborated with diverse technology partners to write custom integrations. Those partners included AWS, Google Cloud Platform, Backblaze, and NetApp.
- Worked on other supporting features, like an end-to-end testing framework for quality assurance (QA) engineers and automatic code signing to secure release binaries.
- Launched points.com, a currency transaction platform for loyalty programs that served millions of users and handled thousands of requests per second. By 2018, the company generated 94% of its revenue from loyalty currency sales.
- Contributed as a tech lead and full-stack engineer in delivering high-profile projects for global brands.
- Delivered a project for Lyft and Hilton Hotels in less than four months, resulting in a 33% increase in engagement.
- Worked on a project for Apple to allow their customers to earn points on purchases made through their website.
- Authored several core features, including account management, order orchestration, and security such as signup, login, account recovery, two-factor authentication (2FA), single sign-on (SSO), bot detection, and audit trails.
- Took responsibility for reaching compliance criteria for 3rd-party audits regarding data privacy (GDPR) and web accessibility (WCAG).
- Launched a car rental service that earned loyalty rewards with each rental. Worked in a small team of three developers and delivered on a tight schedule.
- Conducted interviewing, training, and mentoring of new team members.
- Used wireframes, Photoshop, and Flash for web design.
- Handled search engine optimization (SEO) for Google Search and Google Maps.
Back-end, Front-end, APIs, Performance, API Design, New Product Development, Applications, Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Mathematics, Algorithms, Web Security, Data Privacy, GDPR, Web Accessibility, WCAG 2, White Labeling, A/B Testing, Compliance, Structured Logging, Debugging, Root Cause Analysis, Profiling, Documentation, CI/CD Pipelines, SaaS, QUIC, Virtualization, SSH, VNC, Message Queues, File Systems, Time Management, Task Management, PCI DSS, OWASP, OWASP Top 10, Architecture, Wireframing, Google SEO, Streaming Data, Downloads, i18n, Internationalization, Localization, Financial Transactions, Enterprise Loyalty Programs, Car Rental
Redux, Ruby on Rails (RoR), gRPC
React, REST APIs, Google Apps
Microservices, B2C, B2B, REST, UI Design, UX Design, Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Majestic Monolith
Chrome Developer Tools, Splunk, Git, GitHub, GitLab, Photoshop CC, Flash, Slack, Jira, Trello
Amazon Web Services (AWS), Azure, Docker, Kubernetes, MacOS, Linux, Windows
PostgreSQL, Cache, SQL Performance, Google Cloud, MySQL, SQLite, Object Databases, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), PostgreSQL 10
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
University of Sonora - Hermosillo, Mexico
OWASP Web Application Security Training
A Vendor Security Assessment Services
Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS)
PCI Security Standards Council
Getting Things Done
David Allen Company