Verified Expert in Engineering
Big Data Architect and Back-end Developer
Mohamed is a big data platform architect with 15 years of experience in the IT industry. He excels with distributed systems, data engineering, machine learning, and DevOps. Mohamed builds robust batch and real-time data platforms for stakeholders and moves companies to state-of-the-art data platforms. He designed GDPR-compliant data lakes and optimized an ETL pipeline, which saved the client hundreds of thousands of dollars annually. Mohamed is pragmatic and has an agile mindset.
Linux, Slack, Jira, GitHub, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Apache Kafka, Data Engineering, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Big Data, Big Data Architecture
The most amazing...
...project I've delivered required tuning a microservice to serve over 100,000 requests per second in 20 milliseconds per request.
Big Data Architect
- Designed, led, and guided the company data platform migration from on-premises infrastructure to public cloud (GCP) and saved 30% of stakeholders' daily business hours.
- Built and designed a data lake that complies with GDPR requirements with minimal effect on downstream users.
- Planned and monitored the GCP budget across dozens of projects, which resulted in an accurate spend cost.
Staff Data Engineer
Careem Networks FZ
- Developed an ETL framework that automates data processing pipelines and runs hundreds of ETL daily.
- Optimized an ETL pipeline, which saved hundreds of thousands of dollars yearly.
- Established a data academy to help full-stack engineers grow their data engineering knowledge.
Senior Software Engineer and Big Data
- Designed and developed a challengeable data pipeline for billions of messages and records.
- Devised the ETL framework to work with many sources and sinks.
- Presented new technologies and discussed them with my team.
Senior Software Engineer and Big Data
- Developed and tuned recommendation microservices to accept millions of requests per second with a success rate of 99.99 in 20 milliseconds for the whole request trip.
- Designed and developed a reactive DAG framework to build any logical flow over Akka actors and futures.
- Assisted the data scientist team with ETL pipelines to apply ML offline training.
- Developed a logging service that tracks all app actions on MongoDB with AspectJ.
- Developed an e-payment workflow using Mule ESB that controls payment steps.
- Created a wallet payment microservice that transfers payments across bank accounts.
Senior Java Developer
- Developed back-end and front-end payment services using multiple frameworks; ADF, Struts, and ICEfaces.
- Created business reports using the Jasper Reporting tool.
- Built and automated administration pages created from a DB ER diagram.
Service Information Developer
- Built the endpoint of the sales (EPOS) client app validator using Servlet and JSP, which can validate big XML files and return invalid tags.
- Wrote a user tutorial that guided users to new features and increased the customer acceptance rate.
- Contributed to the internal development community that helped new users get familiar with internal tools.
- Created a custom payroll desktop app that handled complicated payroll logic and generated company payroll reports.
- Devised an innovative home service that monitored smart homes and sent mobile notifications to homeowners.
- Built a PCL interface app that controlled devices in an electricity plant.
On-premises to Public Cloud (GCP) Migration
I collected and discussed pain points with stakeholders, created general architecture ADR, reviewed the new design with my team and stakeholders, and collected feedback. Next, I estimated the budget and discussed it with the head of technology, removed obstacles to implementation, and modified open-source frameworks to fit our needs; for example, I added a new feature to the Atlas data catalog framework to support delta-lake. I reviewed the road map with my team and broke it down into epics and parallel stories, jumped in to help when blocks arose, and discussed best practices with different teams in the company from a data point of view.
Real-time Analytics Service
I designed a real-time solution that fulfilled stakeholders' requirements, tuned the reader service to achieve <100 milliseconds latency in the 99.99 success rate percentile, and introduced network solutions as the project ran in a hybrid cloud environment.
Building Marketplace Data Platform
I created a changeable data pipeline for billions of messages and records and designed the ETL framework to work with many sources and sinks. I presented new technologies and discussed them with the team. I tuned the jobs to fit our cluster, reviewed the code, and took ownership of the project.
Reactive Framework (Jarvis)
Bidding Channel ROI Manager
Java, Scala, SQL, HTML, Python, Snowflake, C, C#, VHDL, Pascal, Stored Procedure
Apache Spark, Spark, Hadoop, Akka, Presto DB, Spring Boot, Hibernate, Oracle ADF, Apache Struts, Django
PySpark, JPA 2, Spark Streaming, JAX-WS, JAX-RPC, Pandas, Quartz, Java API for XML Processing (JAXP)
Apache Airflow, Apache Maven, Kafka Streams, BigQuery, Slack, Jira, GitHub, Servlet, Amazon Elastic MapReduce (EMR), Oozie, RabbitMQ, Apache Beam, Amazon EKS, AWS Glue
ETL, Data-driven Design, Microservices
Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Apache Kafka, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Linux, Jupyter Notebook, Apache Flink, Oracle Database, AWS Lambda, Kubernetes, Databricks
Data Pipelines, NoSQL, Google Cloud, Google Cloud SQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Apache Hive, MongoDB, Oracle PL/SQL, Microsoft SQL Server, HDFS, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Data Integration, Amazon DynamoDB, Database Architecture, Redshift, Database Modeling
Data Processing, GDPR, Data Engineering, ELT, Data Architecture, Big Data, Big Data Architecture, Architecture, Solution Architecture, Google BigQuery, Cloud Migration, Data Migration, Ajax, Web Services, Algorithms, Data Structures, Graph Algorithms, Delta Lake, Google Cloud Functions, Catalog Data Entry Services, Apache Cassandra, Apache Livy, Apache Zeppelin, EJB3, Atlas, Pub/Sub, Data Modeling, User-defined Functions (UDF), Data Governance, Data Strategy, APIs, EMR, RESTful Microservices, Microprocessors, Microcontroller Programming, Java Card OpenPlatform (JCOP), Deep Learning, Cloud Run, Apache Flume, Technical Program Management, Data Build Tool (dbt)
Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering
Fayoum University - Egypt
Algorithms on Graphs
Deep Learning Specialisation
OCE Java EE 6 EJB 3.x (1Z0-895)
OCE Java EE 6 Web Service (1Z0-897)
OCE Java Persistence API 2.0 - EE 6 (1Z0-898)
Sun Certified Web Component Developer SCWCD 5 (310-083)
Sun Java5 Certified SCJP 5 (310-055)