Co-founder2017 - PRESENTThe Club HQ
Technologies: UI, Less, CSS, Material-UI, Cypress.io, React Testing Library, Amazon CloudFront CDN, Stripe, React Query, Meteor, Node.js, React
- Developed all aspects of the site from the front to the back end.
- Created a platform that allows users to create a progressive web application for their sports club or team.
- Designed a simple architecture to support the addition of multiple sports and localizations.
Web Engineer2020 - 2020Metail
- Was asked to take a jQuery-based, static MVP of an image workflow tool and to reimplement and extend the features as a fully responsive, single-page React site.
- Developed the features that included user account lifecycle, user group management, and filtering and pagination of images through the various stages of their workflow.
- Worked closely with a back-end developer who provided a REST API using AWS Amplify (with AWS Cognito for user identity).
- Was required to define the layout and user flows through the app.
Web Engineer2020 - 2020Inclusively
- Was required to take an existing WordPress site, which helped people with disabilities find suitable jobs, and to rewrite and expand on the features using the React ecosystem.
- Worked closely with a back-end developer and designer to implement the landing site, account creation, profile management, job search, and job application features.
- Used Jira to break down the different features into workable tasks and to provide time estimates in order to meet the broad requirements for the project.
- Was asked to mentor five Arizona State University students who worked on the project as part of their course.
Web Engineer2019 - 2019Social News Desk
- Was the front-end specialist in a team of three, tasked with reimplementing and extending the SND on air product, which allows news stations to create and interact with social media feeds live on air.
- Created a component structure and related styles that would allow straightforward reuse and extension for different branding.
- Led the implementation of pixel-perfect styling and developed Sass mixins for the creation of smooth, reusable CSS animations.
Lead Web Engineer2015 - 2019Metail
Technologies: Java, Less, CSS, Material-UI, Git, AWS S3, Amazon CloudFront CDN, Clojure, ClojureScript, React
- I was the lead engineer for the development of Metails’s virtual fitting rooms, which covered the front-end and all related middle-tier REST APIs and components.
- The primary product was a customisable, localisable plugin for clothing retailer’s desktop and mobile web sites, which allowed users to create a virtual representation of their body shape and to try on clothes and receive sizing recommendations.
- The plugin was deployed across 4 continents to sites with tens of thousands of daily users and so we had to pay particular attention to payload size, scalability and robustness.
- Worked closely with project managers and designers to outline technical feasibility of mockups and designs, provide time estimates and break up high-level requirements into workable tasks.
- Planned technical evolution of projects in line with feature development, technical debt and customer adoption. We worked in a cross-functional, cross-site team using a Kanban board in Jira to manage the work streams.
- Actively developed and mentored junior and senior engineers.
Web Tech Lead2013 - 2015Metail
Technologies: Java, Less, CSS, Mercurial (Hg), Grunt.js, Jetty, Maven, Backbone.js, CoffeeScript
- Helped build, line managed and led the technical team for the development of Metail’s fitting room UIs. The team grew to 8 members at its largest.
- Defined the architecture for, and led the development of an iframe-based, customizable, localizable virtual fitting room plugin for retailer's desktop sites.
- Led the development for standalone fitting room sites, such as that for our collaboration with ITV’s This Morning, where it was used periodically on live television and for which we were nominated for the BAFTA for Digital Creativity in 2014.
Developer | Products2010 - 2013Metail
- Led the re-implementation and expansion of Metail’s first prototype virtual fitting room.
- Replaced the company’s holding page with a WordPress-backed website.
Ph.D. Candidate and Postdoctoral Research Assistant2004 - 2010University of Cambridge
- Developed an open-source software to aid capture, processing, and dissemination of chemical data within and between institutions.
- Created a self-updating website that found, aggregated and republished crystallographic data from peer-reviewed journals in a more reusable, semantic form.
- Automated the selection of datasets from the aforementioned website and subsequent high-throughput performance and analysis of quantum mechanical calculations using a university-wide grid.