Co-founder2017 - PRESENTThe Club HQ
- Developed all aspects of the site from the front to the back end.
- Created a platform that allows users to create a progressive web application for their sports club or team.
- Designed a simple architecture to support the addition of multiple sports and localisations.
Web Engineer2020 - 2020Inclusively
- Helped people with disabilities find suitable jobs. I was tasked to take the existing WordPress site and to rewrite and expand on the features using the React ecosystem.
- Worked closely with a designer and a back-end developer to implement the landing site, account creation and profile management, and job search and application features.
- Used Material UI for the component styling, React Context API for the UI state management, and React Query to handle the REST API requests and server cache.
- Used Jira to break down the different features into workable tasks and to provide time estimates in order to meet the broad requirements for the project.
- Worked with and mentored five US college students who worked part-time on the project as part of one of their courses.
Web Engineer2019 - 2019Social News Desk
- Redeveloped and extended an existing product using React, Redux, and modern CSS during a three-month contract that allows news stations to create and interact with social media feeds live on air.
- Led the implementation of pixel-perfect styling from designs provided in Zeplin.
- Created a component structure and related styles that would allow straightforward reuse and extension for different branding.
- Developed SASS mixins for the creation of smooth, reusable CSS animations.
Lead Web Engineer2015 - 2019Metail
- Led the front and middle-tier development for all of Metail's client-facing UIs.
- Advocated for and led the change of stack and architecture of Metail's primary product, a virtual fitting room plugin for clothing retailer's websites. This expanded the plugin from being desktop-only to being mobile and native-ready.
- Layed down the foundation in new codebases to ease local development and provide seamless routes for deploying to staging and production environments.
- Led the development of REST APIs to support both customers and retailers.
- Led both front and back-end performance management and improvements. This included latency and payload of the API requests and front-end resources (including optimizing for the initial payload), reducing the number of requests, and resource caching.
- Used AWS services to deploy front and middle-tier components to provide our services quickly to tens of thousands of daily users across the world.
- Worked closely with project managers and designers to outline the technical feasibility of mockups and designs, provide time estimates, and break up high-level requirements into workable tasks.
- Developed and mentored junior and senior engineers.
- Acted as the Metail's first off-site developer, helping to outline an effective strategy for remote working. The team subsequently grew to be 50% remote.
Web Tech Lead2013 - 2015Metail
- Defined the architecture for, and led the development of an iframe-based, customizable, localizable virtual fitting room plugin for retailer's desktop sites.
- Led the development for standalone fitting room sites, such as that for our collaboration with ITV’s This Morning, where it was used periodically on live television and for which we were nominated for the BAFTA for Digital Creativity in 2014.
- Defined and led the implementation of the build, continuous integration and deployment processes for all front and middle-tier components.
- Helped build, line managed and led the technical team for the development of Metail’s fitting room UIs.
- Helped define job specifications, defined tech tests, reviewed candidate CVs and performed technical interviews.
Developer | Products2010 - 2013Metail
- Led the re-implementation and expansion of Metail’s first prototype virtual fitting room.
- Replaced the company’s holding page with a WordPress-backed website.
Ph.D. Candidate and Postdoctoral Research Assistant2004 - 2010University of Cambridge
- Developed an open-source software to aid capture, processing, and dissemination of chemical data within and between institutions.
- Created a self-updating website that found, aggregated and republished crystallographic data from peer-reviewed journals in a more reusable, semantic form.
- Automated the selection of datasets from the aforementioned website and subsequent high-throughput performance and analysis of quantum mechanical calculations using a university-wide grid.