Verified Expert in Engineering
UI, UX, and Front-End Developer
Nick is a front-end specialist who also has over a decade of back-end experience. He’s highly committed to quality and use of best practices and enjoys crafting simple solutions to complex problems.
Git, WebStorm, IntelliJ IDEA
The most amazing...
...project I've worked on was a web application that was periodically used on a live television show in front of millions of viewers.
The Club HQ
- Developed all aspects of the site from the front to the back end.
- Created a platform that allows users to create a progressive web application for their sports club or team.
- Designed a simple architecture to support the addition of multiple sports and localizations.
- Built the front and back end of an MVP to help radiologists book follow-up appointments with patients.
- Helped the company decide on a tech stack of Next.js, Tailwind, and Prisma and developed the app from scratch from a set of pre-existing Figma designs.
- Worked closely with the CEO and CTO to outline the features required for the MVP and then define the lowest risk strategy for developing the app in the required timeframe.
- Developed OpenStage, a site that allows users to book "exceptional talent" to take part in their virtual events.
- Worked on all aspects of the front end, including pixel-perfect responsive views, auth, analytics, error-tracking, emails, performance, and unit and integration testing.
- Communicated with project managers and designers to outline technical feasibility of mockups and designs, providing time estimates and breaking up high-level requirements into workable tasks.
- Reimplemented a jQuery-based, static MVP of an image workflow tool and extended the features as a fully responsive, single-page React site.
- Developed the features that included user-account lifecycle, user-group management, and filtering and pagination of images through the various stages of their workflow.
- Worked closely with a back-end developer who provided a REST API using AWS Amplify (with Amazon Cognito for user identity).
- Defined the layout and user flow through the app.
- Rewrote an existing WordPress site, which helped people with disabilities find suitable jobs, and expanded on the React ecosystem features.
- Worked closely with a back-end developer and designer to implement the landing site, account creation, profile management, job search, and job application features.
- Used Jira to break down the different features into workable tasks and provide time estimates to meet the broad requirements for the project.
- Mentored five Arizona State University students who worked on the project as part of their course.
Social News Desk
- Reimplemented and extended the SND On Air product, which allows news stations to create and interact with social media feeds live on air, as a front-end specialist in a team of three.
- Created a component structure and related styles that would allow straightforward reuse and extension for different branding.
- Led the implementation of pixel-perfect styling and developed Sass mixins to create smooth, reusable CSS animations.
Lead Web Engineer
- Developed Metails’s virtual fitting rooms, which covered the front-end and all related middle-tier REST APIs and components, as the lead engineer.
- Produced the primary product: a customizable, localizable plugin for clothing retailers’ desktop and mobile websites, allowing users to create a virtual representation of their body shape as they try on clothes and receive sizing recommendations.
- Deployed the plugin across four continents to sites with tens of thousands of daily users, paying particular attention to payload size, scalability, and robustness.
- Worked closely with project managers and designers to outline technical feasibility of mockups and designs, providing time estimates and breaking up high-level requirements into workable tasks.
- Planned technical evolution of projects in line with feature development, technical debt, and customer adoption. We worked in a cross-functional, cross-site team using a Kanban board in Jira to manage the workstreams.
- Actively developed and mentored junior and senior engineers.
Web Tech Lead
- Helped build, line managed, and led the technical team to develop Metail’s fitting-room UIs. The team grew to eight members at its largest.
- Defined the architecture for and led the development of an iframe-based, customizable, localizable virtual fitting-room plugin for retailers' desktop sites.
- Led the development for standalone fitting-room sites, such as our collaboration with ITV’s This Morning, where it was used periodically on live television. We were nominated for the BAFTA for Digital Creativity in 2014.
Developer | Products
- Led the re-implementation and expansion of Metail’s prototype virtual fitting room.
- Replaced the company’s holding page with a WordPress-backed website.
Ph.D. Candidate and Postdoctoral Research Assistant
University of Cambridge
- Developed an open-source software to aid the capture, processing, and dissemination of chemical data within and between institutions.
- Created a self-updating website that found, aggregated, and republished crystallographic data from peer-reviewed journals in a more reusable, semantic form.
- Automated the selection of datasets from the aforementioned website and subsequent high-throughput performance and analysis of quantum-mechanical calculations using a university-wide grid.
Talent Booking for Virtual Events
The Club HQhttps://www.theclubhq.com
Metail's Virtual Fitting Roomhttps://metail.com/
I defined the architecture and led this plugin's front and middle-tier development. It was designed to use a single codebase to support retailer localizations, style, and branding customizations and work across their desktop, mobile, and native platforms.
Takeover the Makeoverhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czUYyMh0jwk
One of the hosts used the fitting room on a touchscreen, and viewers were invited to try to submit outfits for themselves as suggestions for the guest. At the peak, the fitting room supported over 5,000 concurrent users.
We were nominated for the 2014 BAFTA for Digital Creativity for this work.
Later, I expanded the tool to convert the data to XML for easier processing, added RSS/Atom feeds to allow other researchers easy access to the data, and 3D visualizations and graphs.
MUI (Material UI), ClojureScript, Redux, Tailwind CSS, JSON Web Tokens (JWT), Cypress, Re-frame, Jest, Spring, Next.js, Selenium
Context API, React, AWS Amplify, Node.js, Marionette.js, Stripe, Backbone.js, Backbone.Marionette, Segment.io
User Interface (UI), User Experience (UX), Full-stack, Front-end Development, React Query, Zustand, Web Development, ESLint, React Testing Library, Autopilot, RSS Feeds, Data Visualization, Web Crawlers, SDKs, Analysis
WebStorm, Amazon Cognito, Amazon CloudFront CDN, Mercurial, Git, Prisma, IntelliJ IDEA, Grunt, Jenkins, Atom, Zeplin, Sentry, BrowserStack, Leiningen, Jetty, Apache Maven, GitHub, Jira, Figma, Uploadcare
Functional Programming, Agile Software Development, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), REST, Kanban, Testing
Meteor, Heroku, WordPress, Galaxy, AWS Lambda, Amazon EC2, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Azure
Amazon S3 (AWS S3), MongoDB, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch, Datadog
Ph.D. in Chemical Informatics
University of Cambridge - England
Master's Degree in Chemistry
University of Oxford - England