Co-founder2017 - PRESENTThe Club HQ
- Developed all aspects of the site from front to back-end.
- Created a platform that allows users to create a progressive web application for their sports club or team.
- Designed a simple architecture to support the addition of multiple sports and localisations.
Web Engineer2019 - 2019Social News Desk
- Redeveloped and extended an existing product using React, Redux, and modern CSS during a 3-month contract that allows news stations to create and interact with social media feeds live on air.
- Led the implementation of pixel-perfect styling from designs provided in Zeplin.
- Created a component structure and related styles that would allow straightforward reuse and extension for different branding.
- Developed SASS mixins for the creation of smooth, reusable CSS animations.
Lead Web Engineer2015 - 2019Metail
- Led the front and middle-tier development for all of Metail's client-facing UIs.
- Advocated for and led the change of stack and architecture of Metail's primary product, a virtual fitting room plugin for clothing retailer's websites. This expanded the plugin from being desktop-only to being mobile and native-ready.
- Layed down the foundation in new codebases to ease local development and provide seamless routes for deploying to staging and production environments.
- Led the development of REST APIs to support both customers and retailers.
- Led both front and backend performance management and improvements. This included latency and payload of the API requests and frontend resources (including optimising for the initial payload), reducing the number of requests and resource caching.
- Used AWS services to deploy front and middle-tier components to provide our services quickly to tens of thousands of daily users across the world.
- Worked closely with project managers and designers to outline technical feasibility of mockups and designs, provide time estimates and break up high-level requirements into workable tasks.
- Actively developed and mentored junior and senior engineers.
- Acted as the Metail's first off-site developer, helping to outline an effective strategy for remote working. The team subsequently grew to be 50% remote.
Web Tech Lead2013 - 2015Metail
- Defined the architecture for, and led the development of an iframe-based, customizable, localizable virtual fitting room plugin for retailer's desktop sites.
- Led the development for standalone fitting room sites, such as that for our collaboration with ITV’s This Morning, where it was used periodically on live television and for which we were nominated for the BAFTA for Digital Creativity in 2014.
- Defined and led the implementation of the build, continuous integration and deployment processes for all front and middle-tier components.
- Helped build, line managed and led the technical team for the development of Metail’s fitting room UIs.
- Helped define job specifications, defined tech tests, reviewed candidate CVs and performed technical interviews.
Developer - Products2010 - 2013Metail
- Led the re-implementation and expansion of Metail’s first prototype virtual fitting room.
- Replaced the company’s holding page with a WordPress-backed website.
Ph.D. Candidate and Postdoctoral Research Assistant2004 - 2010University of Cambridge
- Developed open-source software to aid capture, processing, and dissemination of chemical data within and between institutions.
- Created a self-updating website that found, aggregated and republished crystallographic data from peer-reviewed journals in a more reusable, semantic form.
- Automated the selection of datasets from the aforementioned website and subsequent high-throughput performance and analysis of quantum mechanical calculations using a university-wide Grid.