Verified Expert in Engineering
Data Scientist and Developer
Nick is a data science and analytics professional with over fifteen years of commercial experience across various industries and roles with a tech focus. He's developed dashboards, designed data warehouses, built apps, and has managed teams to do it all too.
Windows, Python, PyCharm, SQL Server BI, MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Tableau
The most amazing...
...project I've worked on was building out a data warehouse and all the reporting for a new online game entirely from scratch, including 3D models of the maps.
Business Intelligence Manager
- Led the front-end business intelligence team with five direct reports located across five different time zones and three continents.
- Managed delivery of online (Oracle BI) and offline (Excel) reporting for the finance and the go-to-market teams.
- Implemented a bespoke data mart for reporting. It improved query performance and reduced data latency from weeks to hours.
- Delivered data science projects around forecasting future revenue and string-parsing for vertical industry classifications of digital audiences, reducing the need for human input in month-end close processes.
- Re-designed the compensation calculation system to improve the timeliness of the submissions each quarter and reduce errors.
Data Scientist | Freelance
- Built a prototype machine learning model to provide recommendations for the placement of TV advertising spots.
- Developed an econometric model to forecast response rates from TV advertising based on customer verticals, competitor spending, and search traffic.
- Conducted analysis of the impact of advertising during the 2016 NFL Super Bowl and 2016 European Championships Final, which gained media coverage for the company.
- Prepared and presented weekly KPI packs to the exec team, covering revenue, user metrics, and game balance.
- Analyzed full user onboarding flow, from an initial website visit to account creation and tutorial completion.
- Oversaw reporting through the beta launch of the game, selecting users to be invited, and tracking daily changes to metrics.
- Worked with a national bank on the rollout of new customer-facing systems to determine available day one capacity.
- Scenario modeled customer Voice over IP (VoIP) systems based on suggested network topologies to determine total user constraints.
- Analyzed batch processes of a major car leasing company to identify potential optimizations and ways to reduce overall processing time.
Data Mart for Sales Data
Tableau Dashboards for Startup
Previous reports had been done in Google Sheets for a single partner at a time, so I was brought in to build a set of reports that would cover the whole business. I worked with stakeholders throughout the company, from sales leads and account managers to product managers and up to the exec team.
The dashboards became a key part of the day-to-day running of the business.
Analysis of TV Ad Winners of Super Bowl 50https://adtechdaily.com/2016/02/10/amazons-echo-made-most-impact-following-its-super-bowl-advert-says-tvsquared-infographic/
I managed data collection for the project, ensuring we could scrape the data we needed within the mandated API rate limits and without any gaps in the data.
SQL, Python, Excel VBA, R
SQL Server BI, Tableau, Microsoft Excel, PyCharm, Jira, Confluence, Apache Airflow
Business Intelligence (BI), Dimensional Modeling, ETL, Data Science
Microsoft SQL Server, SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS), Databases, SQL Stored Procedures, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), Data Pipelines, MongoDB, Vertica, Apache Hive, SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), SQL Server Agent
Analytics, Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Data Modeling, Data Architecture, Data Reporting, Data Warehousing, Dashboards, Data Analysis, Data Visualization, Query Optimization, Oracle BI, Google Trends, Excel Macros, Data Governance, eCommerce
Windows, Oracle, Alteryx, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Master's Degree in Operational Research
University of Strathclyde - Glasgow, UK
Bachelor's Degree in Mathematics
University of Warwick - Warwickshire, UK