Nico Arjen Miedema
Back-end and Game Developer
Arjen is a senior back-end developer with 8+ years of experience and additional experience as a game developer. He has helped companies migrate to microservice architectures and developed the back-end architecture for one of the larger workplace booking apps on the market. Arjen thrives on working hard and learning a lot, which he demonstrated by graduating cum laude in computer science while working part-time in a tech startup and his own game studio.
Experience.NET - 8 yearsSQL - 8 yearsC# - 8 yearsSoftware Architecture - 6 yearsASP.NET - 6 yearsTest-driven Development (TDD) - 6 yearsUnity3D - 6 yearsAzure - 5 years
Windows, Visual Studio, Unity, ASP.NET, Game Development, Back-end Development
The most amazing...
...thing I've developed was a workplace booking app during the start of the pandemic. I created the app in six weeks, and people loved it straight away.
Founder, Lead Developer
- Created an online co-op first-person horde shooter using the Unity engine (HDRP).
- Developed gameplay logic and systems that are fully replicated over the network.
- Designed enemy AI that focuses on surrounding and flanking the player, enhancing the active and fast gameplay experience.
- Built fast and efficient networked transforms that performed around 10-100 times better than the default Unity implementation at the time and allowed us to have 30 moving enemies on-screen at the same time.
- Developed a high-score system integrated with a discord bot, providing real-time updates to discord members when new records are set on a given day.
- Ported many visual effects from the standard rendering pipeline and URP to HDRP.
- Built a smart office platform for the Mapiq platform, used to manage many office features, such as meeting room availability, colleague localization, and integrations with numerous IoT devices and business applications.
- Developed the back-end architecture used for most microservices and the Mapiq OfficeShifts product.
- Developed parts of the localization framework used to show the position of employees within a building via routers and a smartphone app.
- Designed a microservices architecture to replace the legacy monolithic server architecture.
- Assisted in the development and migration from a single-tenant to a multi-tenant application, removing the need for individual servers for each tenant.
- Redesigned and developed a new setting layer to replace an old settings layer that had not performed as intended. The performance gain was a few orders of magnitude faster.
- Spearheaded code quality improvements, such as introducing SonarCloud, style guides, StyleCop, test coverage gates, and code reports. These changes improved the future development speed and code quality.
- Designed several CI/CD pipelines within Azure DevOps. Some of these pipelines were used to publish internal packages, and others were deployed to the Mapiq platform.
Technical University Delft
- Counseled first-year computer science students to assist them in the change between high school and university and help them with their homework and other challenges.
- Educated students in software development, source control, and some programming patterns.
- Mediated between students and teachers in quarterly meetings where the performance of students and teachers was evaluated.
Assistance Software (Acquired by Unit4)
- Built many web apps used within the PSA solution for Microsoft Dynamics CRM. The company was quite successful and later acquired by Unit4.
- Developed parts of the PSA project management suite and assisted in porting the old Microsoft Silverlight application to HTML5 using Ext JS.
- Built a tablet/phone app for Windows Phone using URP and .NET. The app showed project details in a quick and organized way.
- Developed a financial accounting suite for the company.
- Published and maintained apps in the windows store.
Mapiq Office Shiftshttps://www.mapiq.com/page/mapiqs-office-shifts
C#, SQL, Java, Scala, Python, HTML5
Unity, Unity3D, ASP.NET, Entity Framework Core, .NET Core, NUnit, Ext JS, Json.NET, Hibernate, .NET, Razor
Entity Framework, AutoMapper, NSubstitute, Moq, Node.js, Rhino, jQuery, OpenCV, REST APIs
Software Testing, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Test-driven Development (TDD), REST, Agile Software Development, Scrum, Agile, Azure DevOps, Test Automation, Microservices, Functional Programming
3D Games, Programming, Software, OOP Designs, Domain Models, Netcode, Artificial Intelligence (AI), CI/CD Pipelines, Integration Testing, Game Design, Game Development, Software Architecture, Domain-driven Design (DDD), Architecture, Asynchronous Servers, Business to Business (B2B), Business to Consumer (B2C), Macroeconomics, Economics, Algebra, Finance, Image Processing, Programming Language Design, Discord Bots, Game Tools Development, Level Design, High Code Quality, Azure Virtual Machines, Azure Virtual Networks, Education, SOAP, APIs, Booking Apps, Games, Back-end Development, Engineering, Internet of Things (IoT), Cloud Architecture
Git, GitHub, SonarQube, Azure Key Vault, MSTest, StyleCop, Dapper, Microsoft Dynamics CRM, SoapUI, Subversion (SVN), Visual Studio
Azure, Azure Functions, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Windows
NoSQL, Azure Table Storage, Amazon DynamoDB, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
Technical University Delft - Delft, NL
Master's Degree in Business Administration
University of Groningen - Groningen, NL
Bachelor's Degree in Business Economics
University of Groningen - Groningen, NL