Verified Expert in Engineering
Nicol is a full-stack software developer with seven years of experience using technologies like React, Node.js, TypeScript, and Ruby on Rails. She is a jack of all trades with a keen interest in software development, entrepreneurship, and product design. Nicol takes pride in building solutions that solve real business problems with great attention to detail and quality.
The most amazing...
...thing I've built is a personal finance management application called FinWise (finwiseapp.io).
Front-end React Native Developer and Product Designer
- Designed new features for the mobile application using Figma.
- Developed core features in React Native and Expo to deliver an MVP.
- Worked in a small team and fast-paced startup. Took responsibility for the design process and front-end development process.
Full-stack React Developer
- Developed an admin dashboard and system for managing gift fulfillment.
- Wrote integration tests for monitoring the application performance.
- Created core consumer-facing features for gift delivery and selection.
React Front-end Developer
Avantgarde Finance Ltd
- Developed a responsive web application using Next.js and Tailwind CSS.
- Added animation to the website using Framer Motion and native Tailwind CSS.
- Built out native responsive components using React.
- Tested and deployed the web application on a deadline.
Full-stack React and Node.js Developer
Breaking New Consulting Inc
- Designed an authenticated application that featured video streaming and PDF loading and displays on the user side and an admin dashboard on the management system.
- Developed a full-stack application that allowed children across the globe to read books together over video calls with embedded PDFs in the application.
- Oversaw the launch process and conducted testing and deployment for the application.
Front-end Web Developer
Hype Labs Inc.
- Developed a dashboard from scratch using Next.js and TypeScript for a mesh networking and crypto product.
- Designed the architecture for the dashboard to support over 100000 transactions.
- Worked with an end-to-end team to test the delivery and integration of the mesh network.
Co-founder and CEO
- Designed and developed the marketing pages for the TechUp School website.
- Developed an MVP learning management system for sharing resources with students.
- Performed product management tasks to drive product vision.
Freelance Software Engineer
- Redesigned and developed Mindjoy's marketing website using Figma and React–previously Vue.js.
- Implemented tracking using Mixpanel and set up dashboards to track weekly user engagement.
- Created the new design and implemented a revised sign-up flow for Mindjoy's users.
Full-stack Software Engineer
- Improved the model_view Ruby Gem used for model composable serialization—rubygems.org/gems/model_view.
- Implemented Elasticsearch and GraphQL into the core platform's candidate search engine.
- Mentored software engineers and helped them onboard into the product team.
- Participated in the product team's social committee, responsible for ensuring the team was happy moving into a remote-first working environment.
Back-end Software Engineer
- Implemented features on the core internal transactions system that enabled clients to record their FICA–Financial Intelligence Centre Act–information.
- Mentored and upskilled a junior software engineer in the team.
- Dockerized the team's codebase and helped improve our CI/CD processes.
Full-stack Software Engineer
- Developed core platform's back-end and front-end features using Ruby on Rails.
- Provided on-call support on a rotational basis which included weekly bug fixing duty.
- Helped hire over 20 software engineers by performing technical interviews as part of the engineering recruiting initiative.
- Worked with the development team to architect and build a new micro-service using Python and React.
Software Developer Intern
- Tracked and fixed bugs reported on the Trello Kanban board.
- Worked with two other interns to ship and demonstrate our intern projects after six weeks.
Some of the work I completed involved the following:
• Designing and building a video eventing platform, sendit.media, using Vue.js and Tailwind
• Software development for an edtech solution using Ruby on Rails
• Building various landing pages for small businesses
Bel Ombre Cottageshttps://www.belombrecottages.co.za/
The website is a simple static website used to generate income for a small estate.
Ruby on Rails (RoR), Next.js, Tailwind CSS, Express.js, React Native, Redux, Jest, Django, Flask, Material UI
React, Mongoid, Formik, Node.js, Vue, Flask-RESTful, AWS Amplify, jQuery, Lodash, Recharts, AmplifyJS, Puppeteer
Figma, Git, GitLab, RSpec, Docker Compose, Expo, Notion, React Apollo, GitHub, GitLab CI/CD, Jira
Web UI Design, Unit Testing
Heroku, Netlify, PagerDuty, Docker, Amazon EC2, AWS Elastic Beanstalk, Mixpanel, Kubernetes, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Semantic UI, Front-end Development, Front-end, Full-stack, Full-stack Development, Product Management, Miro, Web Consulting, NativeBase, Gatsby, State Machines, Open Source, USSD Technology, CI/CD Pipelines, APIs, WebSockets, Video Chat, Video Streaming, Zod, Framer
PostgreSQL, JSON, MySQL, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), MongoDB, Elasticsearch
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science and Business Computing
University of Cape Town - Cape Town, South Africa
Product Management 101
Basics of GraphQL with Ruby on Rails
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring