Verified Expert in Engineering
Data Structures Developer
Rob is a dedicated problem solver who has been developing financial systems on the .NET platform since 2006. Optimizing relational database queries comes naturally to him. He is a very pragmatic programmer who prefers function over fads in software tool choices and a good communicator who prides himself on his ability to positively affect morale.
Git, Emacs, Linux
The most amazing...
...thing I've achieved was bringing an inefficient SQL corporate action/dissemination/data import process time from 40 hours down to 8 by careful query analysis.
Technical Application Specialist Consultant (Independent)
- Delivered a massive cost savings in the space of 8 months for a large client, working with a small team. The client was able to save hundreds of thousands of Euro in annual licensing fees after we wrote the replacement system.
- Collaborated with teammates spread between Frankfurt, Cape Town, Stockholm, London, and Bordeux through constant communication, weekly Google Hangout status meetings, and collaboration via Github and JIRA.
- Improved processing time from 36 hours to 14 hours.
- Surprised the client with swift development turnaround time even during high-pressure portions of project development.
- Conducted extensive query analysis, both T-SQL and PL/SQL.
Senior Developer (Composites Product)
- Maintained a commercially successful product used by over 120 asset managers globally.
- Investigated new opportunities in moving the composites product to the cloud, utilizing dynamic web frameworks like Rails and AngularJS for a slick front-end experience.
- Worked remotely, reporting to the Frankfurt office from Cape Town, using JIRA and Lync to coordinate and SVN to collaborate.
- Worked with the R+ team at Statpro, using Ruby on Rails to create a modern portfolio management solution using Highstock charting.
- Provided second line development support to large bank clients remotely via WebEx.
Senior Systems Developer
- Configured a CruiseControl.net server to rein in a sprawling legacy project with over 100 disparate component modules in C#, VB.NET, and C++/MFC.
- Set up an OpenGrok source code search server to assist the team in searching a constantly updated index including the version control history of a ~3.5m line project.
- Migrated source control to SVN from Visual Source Safe 2005, retaining all history.
- Mentored developers.
- Optimized queries for a large and inefficient SQL batch process, reducing run time by around 80%.
- Developed for a completely agile development shop, doing daily stand-ups, fortnightly sprints, internal customer, pair programming, and pool table.
- Conducted full end-to-end testing, TDD, front-end testing, unit tests, FxCop, Smoke tests, and MSI installation/upgrade tests on VM infrastructure.
- Created an internal time tracking/client reporting/invoicing app with another junior developer.
- Learned all about SQL injection and various security concerns.
- Read The Pragmatic Programmer.
.NET, ASP.NET, ASP.NET MVC, Bootstrap 3, Sinatra, Ruby on Rails (RoR), NUnit, Django, AngularJS
Windows Forms (WinForms), Node.js, Reactive Extensions, jQuery, Microsoft Foundation Class Library (MFC), Twitter API
Emacs, Microsoft Visual Studio, NAnt, Git
Agile Software Development, COM+, Design Patterns
Umbraco, Linux, Android
Freelancing, Algorithms, Data Structures, MSMQ, ComponentOne, R2, DevExpress, COM, IoC
PostgreSQL, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle 11g, MongoDB
Bachelor of Science Degree in Information Technology (Computer Engineering)
University of Cape Town - Cape Town, South Africa