Lead Full-stack Developer2019 - PRESENTDiversityEdu
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, React, Node.js
- Added SSO/SAML integration both in the back end (Rails) as an alternative to email/password sign in, as well as front end UI (React) changes and JWT generation to accommodate it.
- Setup Capistrano deployment to AWS instances for both Rails and React applications.
- Established an automatic ruling system that allows users to be added/removed from groups based on profile information both in the back end (Rails) and front end (React).
- Fixed several high-priority bugs, such as issues uploading files with the progress not being registered and others.
- Decoupled MariaDB databases from AWS instances into RDS, and MongoDB to Atlas Cloud—both for improved scalability and uptime.
- Decoupled local file system files to use AWS S3 storage instead of for scalability.
- Updated React version and dependencies.
- Improved the back-end (Rails/Minitest) test coverage from 78% to 92%.
- Refactored, cleaned, improved, and rewrote huge segments of the back end (Rails) for increased readability and maintainability.
- Refactored MariaDB database columns that were storing JSON data as text into JSON fields and/or better-structured table data for improved performance and indexing.
- Added feature (Rails/React) to track user's grade score activity on courses, integrating it with Learning Locker's XAPI statements.
- Upgraded, redeployed and fixed issues with open-source Node.js application (Learning Locker).
Senior Rails Developer2017 - 2019Outfront Media
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, Ember, React
- Refactored legacy Ruby codebase increasing its test coverage from 70% to 90% using Rspec; also moved the existing TestUnit test to RSpec to generate a single test coverage metric.
- Migrated databases from MongoDB to PostgreSQL on Amazon RDS.
- Containerized applications with Docker to be deployable to Kubernetes.
- Added continuous integration/delivery using Jenkins and Kubernetes.
- Implemented mechanism to sync database changes in a server/client architecture using RabbitMQ, allowing microservices to be decoupled from the database.
- Added PostgreSQL full-text search to all API resources in use.
- Implemented API changes in the back end (Rails), as well as changes to UI in Ember/React for several different features.
- Made several back-end (Rails) optimizations, including cache and SQL query optimizations in order to reduce load times and timeout errors.
- Documented API, code behavior and setup, and shared information with teammates to get new developers up to speed.
CEO | Full-stack Developer2010 - 2017Heavenstudio
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, MongoDB, PostgreSQL, React, React Native, AWS, PhoneGap, Cordova, Meteor
- Developed a faceted search application that supports dynamic field indexing using Rails, MongoDB, and Sunspot/Solr.
- Created a white-label application with a shared database supporting sharing and collaborating data between individual installments using Rails and MongoDB.
- Built data transfer protocols and a totem application that processed hardware inputs through USB ports for a bike-sharing solution using Ruby.
- Created a React-based educational application that consumed REST data with Node.js and Webpack for the Brazilian government, and supervised the React Native version for mobile phones.
- Developed a Ruby on Rails REST API application to be consumed by a React/React Native app.
- Created a very scalable open-source Rails application for education using caching and optimization techniques adopted by the Brazilian government with widespread usage and high amount of views per month.
- Built an open-source Ruby gem project to handle payments from PagSeguro with 100% test coverage and documentation.
- Developed an open-source Ruby on Rails application that recalculates fees and serial numbers for expired Brazilian bill tickets.
- Built an open-source command-line Ruby gem application that allows the user to download songs from YouTube videos and playlists.
- Built and was a shareholder of an enterprise solution for tracking working hours of remote workers supporting fingerprint authentication according to Brazilian legislation using Meteor.
- Created a Ruby on Rails geolocation and routing service that solves the problem of the shortest path given a series of stop-points to be used by garbage collection trucks for industrial waste.
- Developed the corresponding PhoneGap application with geo-location and routing services to be used by garbage collector truck drivers to follow an optimized route.
- Contributed to an open source Rails internationalization gem.
- Contributed to an open source Rails gem WYSIWYG editor implementing different strategies for file uploads.
- Created an open source Rails engine gem integrating Spree (an open source eCommerce Rails framework) with a Brazilian's courier service called Correios.
- Developed an open source Rails engine gem integrating Spree (an open source eCommerce Rails framework) with the payment method PagSeguro.
- Built an open-source Rails LMS adopted by the Brazilan government.
- Created a Rails LMS B2B application with heavy usage of instructional videos securely stored and with an emphasis on preventing piracy.
- Developed an open source social network focused on social problems; used Rails.
- Set up several hosting servers using AWS EC2 and AWS OpsWorks.
- Implemented a simple continuous delivery solution for a Rails applications into AWS's OpsWorks.
- Managed the development teams for bigger projects related to the Brazilian government.
- Consulted on Rails applications for other companies—analyzing the code quality, security, and performance.
Full-stack Web Developer2008 - 2010CEATS
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, PHP, MySQL, C#, Flash, Flex, .NET, jQuery
- Created a report application that summarized data and presented it in charts using Rails and Flash.
- Developed a Rails LMS with a focus on social interactions and video lessons inspired by Orkut.
- Created a custom Flash video and audio player using Flex.
- Built Internet Explorer toolbar extensions using C# and .NET.
- Developed an institutional WordPress website and several custom open-source plugins.