Inventor2019 - PRESENTProgramming Language Research
- Built a prototype for the (possibly) world's first functional graphical structured code editor, and used it to solve the majority of 2020's Advent Of Code coding challenges.
- Utilized WebAssembly to get the prototype working both on desktop and in the browser.
- Learned Rust to a near-expert level and became proficient in Haskell and OCaml.
Freelancer2018 - PRESENTSelf-employed
Technologies: PostgreSQL, Django, Go, Python, Rust
- Maintained a web app and a high-volume web scraping pipeline, launched new products, and performed error monitoring and reporting as a one-person engineering team for a startup (DevOps, back and front end) with Go, Python, Django, and DigitalOcean.
- Mentored beginner programmers in Python and experienced industry professionals in learning Go and helped them find better career opportunities.
- Developed high-performance Rust code for a cryptocurrency startup.
Product and Infrastructure Engineer2015 - 2018Remind
Technologies: GraphQL, Redis, AWS DynamoDB, PostgreSQL, React, Node.js, Ruby, Go
- Built a one-way messaging and two-way chat system connecting over 30 million teachers and students, with users in almost every school in the US.
- Designed and implemented many large-scale infrastructure changes to support the growing user-base and engineering organization, e.g., migrating from PostgreSQL to DynamoDB and introducing GraphQL.
- Led the development of Remind for Schools program, which gave bulk controls and reporting to school administrators.
- Kept the infrastructure running healthily at all hours of the day, by setting up monitoring graphs and alerts.
- Made major organization-wide improvements to the developer testing, continuous integration, and error reporting pipelines.
Senior Product Engineer2015 - 2015SocialChorus
Technologies: Extreme Programming, XP, Test-driven Development (TDD), Backbone.js, Ruby on Rails (RoR)
- Maintained a web-based employee outreach SaaS used by very large companies, like Coca-Cola and Target.
- Performed a seamless data migration off of a niche and hard-to-use datastore called CouchDB onto the standard PostgreSQL.
- Worked in a full-time pair programming environment.
- Implemented and maintained front-end and back-end features using Ruby on Rails and Backbone.js.
Software Lead2010 - 2014Yelp
Technologies: MySQL, Microservices, Python
- Led the development of Yelp’s consumer line of products, including Yelp deals, gift certificates, and food delivery.
- Coordinated large team projects.
- Pioneered more efficient and code organization methods for the 200-person engineering team.
- Improved the performance of the in-house email delivery pipeline.
Corporate IT, Internal Tools2009 - 2010Sogeti USA
Technologies: Content Management Systems (CMS), Django, WordPress, PHP, Python, Oracle, Linux
- Rebuilt the company website, which had previously been built in Microsoft Frontpage and was maintained by a single developer, into a CMS which the marketing department could update themselves.
- Implemented a web-based single site authentication system that worked on top of Active Directory.
- Administered Linux and Solaris servers.
- Built internal tools like wikis and blogs so that different branches could share information with each other.
- Developed an internal employee catalog which synchronized data between Microsoft Exchange and Oracle E-Business Suite.