Verified Expert in Engineering
Sumeet has over a decade of experience, including long-term stints at Yelp.com and Remind.com, leading large cross-team projects. He does superbly clean engineering work and is an organized project planner. He excels at communication with both technical and non-technical colleagues, leveling up fellow engineers, and making sense out of the computer jargon.
The most amazing...
...thing I'm currently doing is designing a new kind of graphics-based programming environment that's easier to use for both programmers and non-programmers.
- Maintained web app and high-volume web scraping pipeline and launched new products as a 1-person engineering team for a property management startup that was later acquired. Worked as a full-stack DevOps using Go, Python, Django, TensorFlow, and DigitalOcean.
- Rescued gardening calendar Kickstarter, which had deadly performance issues one week from launch, and helped onboard the first few months of customers. Used Ruby on Rails and Stimulus.
- Guided and cleaned up the software stack of a successful startup with "freelancer syndrome." Shortened time to add new features by 3/4 by adding integration testing infrastructure, all while adding new features using Go and Node.js.
Programming Language Research
- Built a prototype for the (possibly) world's first functional graphical structured code editor and used it to solve the majority of 2020's Advent of Code coding challenges.
- Utilized WebAssembly to get the prototype working both on the desktop and the browser.
- Learned Rust to a near-expert level and became proficient in Haskell and OCaml.
Product and Infrastructure Engineer
- Built a one-way messaging and two-way chat system connecting over 30 million teachers and students, with users in almost every school in the US.
- Designed and implemented many large-scale infrastructure changes to support the growing user-base and engineering organization, e.g., migrating from PostgreSQL to DynamoDB and introducing GraphQL.
- Led the development of Remind for Schools program, which gave bulk controls and reporting to school administrators.
- Kept the infrastructure running healthily at all hours of the day, by setting up monitoring graphs and alerts.
- Made major organization-wide improvements to the developer testing, continuous integration, and error reporting pipelines.
Senior Product Engineer
- Maintained a web-based employee outreach SaaS used by very large companies, like Coca-Cola and Target.
- Performed a seamless data migration off of a niche and hard-to-use datastore called CouchDB onto the standard PostgreSQL.
- Worked in a full-time pair programming environment.
- Implemented and maintained front-end and back-end features using Ruby on Rails and Backbone.js.
- Led the development of Yelp’s consumer line of products, including Yelp deals, gift certificates, and food delivery.
- Coordinated large team projects.
- Pioneered more efficient and code organization methods for the 200-person engineering team.
- Improved the performance of the in-house email delivery pipeline.
Corporate IT, Internal Tools
- Rebuilt the company website, which had previously been built in Microsoft Frontpage and was maintained by a single developer, into a CMS which the marketing department could update themselves.
- Implemented a web-based single site authentication system that worked on top of Active Directory.
- Administered Linux and Solaris servers.
- Built internal tools like wikis and blogs so that different branches could share information with each other.
- Developed an internal employee catalog which synchronized data between Microsoft Exchange and Oracle E-Business Suite.
Yelp Food Deliveryhttps://www.yelp.com/nearme/delivery
Reminder Messages for Teachers and Schoolshttps://www.remind.com/
Check out the link for a super work-in-progress glimpse at the project.
Ruby on Rails (RoR), Django
Vim Text Editor, Shell
Agile, Test-driven Development (TDD), Testing, Microservices, XP, Extreme Programming, Functional Programming
Linux, Oracle, WordPress, iOS
PostgreSQL, MySQL, NoSQL, Redis, Amazon DynamoDB
Project Planning, Content Management Systems (CMS), Programming Languages, Integrated Development Environments (IDE), GUI, Creativity, WebAssembly, Design Language
SQLAlchemy, Backbone.js, Node.js, React
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
Boston University - Boston, MA, USA