Architect | Back-end Engineer2021 - 2021EV Startup (Toptal Client)
Technologies: Java, Spring Boot, AWS, AWS Amplify, Stripe Payments, Stripe
- Co-designed the MVP architecture for a mobile EV Leasing solution, consisting of a mBaaS (mobile backend as a service), along with a complimentary back end that was user-isolated.
- Designed, developed, and managed the payments service using Stripe. The service implied handling several industry-specific use-cases, along with newly identified flows based on UX analysis.
- Launched the initial version of the app and payments service in record time without operational issues.
- Handled stakeholder interviews and discussions, especially on the part of the payments. Co-handled requirements gathering and proposed solutions.
- Assessed and integrated minor third-party services.
Senior Java Interviewer2021 - 2021Independent Consulting
Technologies: Java, Spring, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Software Architecture
- Helped a large software company find local Java talent for their new development office in Cluj on a part-time basis.
- Set up and conducted technical interviews, focusing on everything from basics to practical experience and assessing the level of impact.
- Providing multi-sided feedback to the company and, on request, to the candidate.
- Received very good feedback on ensuring the company starts locally with quality, reliable Java professionals.
Architect, Lead Developer, and Team Lead2019 - 2021Independent Consultant
Technologies: Spring Boot, AWS, Java, PostgreSQL, Spring Data JPA, Spring REST, Maven
- Contracted by a successful European training company in the field of trading, to help them shape and bring to market a minimum viable product in a newly identified area of opportunity.
- Discussed, analyzed, and proposed technical solutions to achieve the stated goal regarding budget and capabilities, rearchitecting whenever significant changes were requested. Focused on reusing the client's existing capabilities and software.
- Researched and determined practical solutions for integrating problematic or insufficient trading APIs into the main solution, considering the development, maintenance, and sustainability costs versus business benefits.
- Identified solutions and rearchitected the MVP in order to reuse the client's existing know-how and software capabilities, thus saving an estimated 15%-20% of development cost.
- Oversaw the progress of the solution, managing two teams of external developers and one client-internal software expert.
- Designed the AWS cloud solution architecture according to the initial requirements. Developed a Java back end focusing on the short-term urgent needs but with the long-term objectives in mind.
- Helped the client gather, assess, and negotiate partnerships for obtaining trading market data.
Teaching Assistant2016 - 2021Technical University of Cluj-Napoca
Technologies: Software Design, Software Development, Software Design Patterns, Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC), Distributed Systems, Spring Boot, Java, C#
- Taught the software design laboratory for third-year students and also taught distributed systems in 2016 and 2017.
- Proposed several improvements, in both course and lab curricula, to better match with current industry practices.
- Since 2017, ran live-coding sessions as a part of the course, showing how to build a new project from start.
- Achieved a 100% student pass rate in the required exam.
- Eliminated antiquated OO patterns in favor of focusing on a more practical start-to-finish framework experience; currently on break, for the academic year 2021-2022.
Solution Architect and Technical Lead2019 - 2019Independent Consulting
Technologies: Java, Spring Boot, Spring Cloud, Discovery, Business Requirements, Technical Requirements, Non-functional Requirements, Cloud Migration, Microservices, GraphQL, AWS, Amazon SQS, Multitenancy
- Contracted by a Dutch ISV to lead the renovation effort of consolidating and migrating two fleet management software products to the cloud.
- Cohandled the gathering and analysis of requirements; the job consisted of several complex and non-standard requirements along with strong constraints from both technical and operational standpoints.
- Solved the majority of the major conflicting requirements with my proposed architecture, successfully passing four client-led architecture challenge stages.
- Set up the new Java department for a service provider company (Python-focused ISV).
- Trained the existing developers and architect on AWS, its principles, and its components.
- Convinced the client to accept a phased approach, considering the scope versus budget, risk, and time to demo.
Senior Software Consultant2018 - 2018Independent Consulting
Technologies: Technical Discovery, Requirements, Technical Requirements, Functional Requirements, Java, SOAP
- Hired by a local top ISV to lead the technical discovery sessions for a new outsourcing contract with the #1 robotics company. The sessions successfully set up the initial project and paved the way to larger assignments.
- Extracted both functional and non-functional requirements, constraints, and business drivers as well on the way of working.
- Analyzed and shared findings and suggestions with team members and management.
Software Architect and Team Lead2017 - 2018Freelance Consulting Work
Technologies: Java, Spring Boot, Hibernate, Elasticsearch, ActiveMQ, Git, Business Requirements, Functional Requirements, Technical Requirements, Non-functional Requirements, Team Leadership, Mentorship, Training, Microservices
- Recommended and contracted by a local top ISV to help them properly initiating a riskier project, by managing the entire technical aspect of the collaboration and prepare their dev team to take over the project.
- Delivered the first version of the code in record time, achieving the stretch goal.
- Mentored and guided the top performer engineer to become lead developer of the project.
- Successfully set up and managed the initiation phase of the work.
Architect, Lead Developer, and Team Lead2015 - 2018Independent Consulting
- Acted as a CTO for a small European consulting company, that identified a new opportunity and wanted to develop its own custom software solution.
- Architected the solution and developed the entire Java back end (80,000+ LOC) for an integrated, plug-in shopping cart and payment processor with complete VAT MOSS support.
- Performed several high-value refactoring sprints, improving readability and maintainability, decreasing code size by around 7,000 LOC.
- Developed several POCs (proof of concept) to better validate the business opportunity of the project and features.
- Discovered a bug in the Stripe API where the API contract was different for new Stripe users.
Senior Java Engineer2015 - 2016Freelance Consulting Work
- Worked for a large European blue-chip telecom on a "web front" solution.
- Fixed an over 6-month-old bug in Magnolia and Jackrabbit that was threatening the release, due to irremediably blocking the solution engine.
- Built from scratch a WAF inside Magnolia CMS (stateless rule-based filtering) that successfully blocked specific DDOS attacks that were blocking the request thread for five minutes at 100% CPU/core usage.
- Discussed, analyzed, and negotiated with other teams ways of improving the integrations between our systems.
- Proposed and implemented a queuing mechanism for critical but unreliable data import.
- Demonstrated the benefit of sub-splitting a 20+ developer team, each focused on parts of 15+ project modules.
- Performed several hotfixes in production for critical issues that could not wait 1-2 weeks via the standard release process. The actions were allowed or requested by high-level managers.
Senior Java Engineer (Consultant)2014 - 2015GE Healthcare
Technologies: Java, Oracle ADF, JSF, XML, Oracle 11g, WebLogic, Jenkins, Ant, Sonar, Crucible, Perforce, ClearCase, IBM Doors, HP Application Lifecycle Management (ALM), SAML, OpenAM, Back-end
- Built a tool that automated the module creation process (very prone to mistakes), virtually minimizing initial bugs to zero. The tool reduced the implementation time for new modules by more than 95% (2-3 workdays were cut down to 30 minutes).
- Created a tool that automatically generates complete SQL scripts for views based on existing tables and formal requirements.
- Recommended for the team lead position by team members and the site manager.
Senior Java Engineer2013 - 2014Ullink
Technologies: Java, Git, Gerrit, Jenkins, Ant, Sonar, Scrum, Requirements Analysis, HSQLDB, Back-end
- Migrated and refactored a legacy functionality to a stand-alone order management system extension.
- Redesigned the API and developed the server-side component (owned 40% of the entire extension product).
- Ranked first Java engineer in the "Ullink Bug Fighting Challenge" in Cluj-Napoca and top three in the company.
- Proactively participated in cross-product code reviews, contributed to framework enhancements, and organized knowledge-sharing sessions.
Founder and CTO2010 - 2013KeenSkim
- Researched, designed, and implemented a big data and text analytics solution for creating real-time automatic summaries of free-text documents.
- Optimized the text processing engine to be in real time, by using shallow parsing, domain-independent semantic and NLP algorithms, and different heuristics.
- Raised accelerator funding (approximately $400,000 valuation ) and developed and negotiated partnerships.
- Pitched and won several startup challenges from Europe and the US.
Researcher and Teaching Assistant2007 - 2011Technical University of Cluj-Napoca
Technologies: Software Design, Software Design Patterns, C#, Java
- Designed and built the Semantic Information Extraction module for the ArhiNET research project, an early big data and text mining solution for historic documents of Transylvania.
- Codeveloped the architecture and domain ontology, technology survey, and research paper as a contributor and part-time adviser.
- Taught the software design laboratory for third-year students, bridging the gap between theory and industry standards and practice.
Research Engineer (Intern)2010 - 2010Inria
Technologies: Hadoop, GRID, GRID5000, Cloud, Java
- Researched, designed, and implemented a distributed-processing solution for parallelizing NCBI BLAST bioinformatics sequencing tool via Hadoop over GRID5000, France's large research grid.
- Determined solutions for predictable efficiency at high-scale deployment in (1) a homogeneous cluster of 120 machines, (2) a heterogeneous data center with two clusters of 250+ machines, and (3) a heterogeneous geo-distributed grid of 800+ machines.
- Successfully completed the five-month internship in 13 weeks and was invited to continue for a Ph.D.
Team Lead and National Technology Manager2005 - 2010Microsoft Student Partners
Technologies: C#, .NET, MS Server 2003, Microsoft SQL Server, ASP.NET, Windows Server, C#.NET, Team Leadership, Presentations, Workshops, Training, Events, Partnerships, LINQ, Azure, Program Management
- Led a team to be a consistent achiever, proudly organizing three of the top five technology events in MSP Romania: .NET Summer Rally 2009, Academic Tour Live, and Academic Tour 4.5.
- Served as the longest active member in MSP Romania, working on all aspects of the tech organization.
- Coordinated the team and activities of the MSP TUCN center.
- Co-managed the nine national teams and planned and implemented the strategy in MSP Romania.
- Organized, taught, and presented in over 20 Microsoft Student Partners/Microsoft technology events as well as handling ongoing mentoring in the MSP laboratory.
- Codeveloped Microsoft's S2B internship program, which obtained excellent results—the best worldwide.
- Recruited new team members as well as mentored and grew the team.
- Negotiated partnerships with local ISVs to provide technical training and internships.
.NET and Business Intelligence Developer2007 - 2009ISDC
Technologies: C#, .NET, SQL Server BI, LLBLGen, IIS, SOAP, SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS), SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), Back-end Development, Microsoft SQL Server, DevExpress, Microsoft Enterprise Library
- Served as a cross-department member (.NET and business intelligence) involved in analysis, design, and solution development.
- Selected as a member of the project refining team for code review and refactoring.
- Delivered several proof-of-concept solutions for the sales team.
- Proactively recommended training resources for the .NET department.
- Mentored junior team members in C#/.NET programming and helped them complete their tasks.