Verified Expert in Engineering
Vasiliy is an architect, multiplatform developer, hobbyist UI designer, and entrepreneur. He's an all-in-one performer and perfectionist in a great way. With over 20 years of experience in programming, architecture design, and managing development teams, Vasiliy is excited about the way modern tech is evolving and likes to be on the bleeding edge of tomorrow's technology.
Command-line Interface (CLI), Visual Studio Code (VS Code), MacOS, Zsh, iTerm2, Git
The most amazing...
...thing I've made, while not too challenging technically, was such a brilliant DSL that users not only adopted it but preferred it to the regular app UI.
Architect | Team Lead | Senior Full-stack/Mobile Developer
Remote School Education Stealth Startup (UK)
- Led a team of six developers and two testers in implementing React and React Native MVP apps.
- Provided core architectural and tech-stack decisions according to the project needs, team competencies, cost, maintainability, and infinite scalability requirements.
- Established AWS-based (a subset of Amazon Elemental) video content streaming infrastructure, teamed up with CTO and infrastructure engineers.
- Took part in the design/architecture of tutor/mentor video capture workflow (RTMPS broadcasting via AWS), including cloud bandwidth/storage/cost optimization.
- Provided future-proof project setup for a React web app and React Native app, along with the necessary build tooling and linter configuration.
- Implemented various core components, including custom video players for React/Next.js and React Native apps (HLS streaming-compatible), expandable tree-like lesson question/comment section, and others.
- Took part in Node.js-based microservices, gateway API implementation, and GraphQL schema and database design.
- Participated in designing and configuring the CI/CD pipeline with the in-house DevOps specialists and delivery manager.
- Helped create a reusable Docker-based development environment for Node.js servers and React web application that (along with the documentation) allowed to cut down the front-end developers' onboarding time by a few days.
- Wrote the elaborate onboarding documentation for new developers as well as architecture description.
Senior Front-end and Infrastructure Engineer
Well-known US News Media Company
- Implemented sophisticated real-time episode chat UI (for a React/Next.js application), replacing the old implementation.
- Implemented a new custom video player component that is modular, configurable, adaptive to screen size and bandwidth, and highly optimized from a performance standpoint (HLS streams compatible, using HLS.js and media source extensions).
- Worked with Mux video streaming/delivery platform to ensure a smooth and adaptive streaming experience and proper analytics data collection for the newly reworked video-related sections of the app.
- Provided many Next.js codebase improvements, refactorings, clean-ups, and linter fixes that allowed for cleaner implementations of many parts (from specific React components to whole modules), more consistent styling, and low-to-no code duplication.
- Took care of advanced linter configurations for a more future-proof codebase and fixed the current issues.
- Created the initial version of the new Docker-based app deployment pipeline from scratch to allow custom hosting possibilities as an alternative to Vercel.
- Provided initial design and architecture for the new version of the company's inner CMS (a lightweight variant of a headless CMS closely tailored to the company's needs).
Senior Front-end Developer and Architect
Nuri (formerly Bitwala, via Toptal)
- Took part in a complete redesign/rework of the (then) Bitwala's main React Native-based mobile app to the next generation Nuri app.
- Participated in the huge "Nuri Pots" sub-project from its inception until its release, which added the possibility for the user to seamlessly invest funds in ETFs and get them back to their bank accounts and crypto-wallets.
- Put tons of effort into the codebase refactoring, restructuring, improvement, test coverage, tech debt elimination, and consistency maintenance.
- Worked on the most challenging front-end tasks to date, including some extremely complex interactive and animated chart components for React Native (custom-rendered, but backed by D3 math), circumventing awkward platform-specific quirks, and more.
- Helped build up consistent React Native component testing patterns and approaches using the React Native Testing Library.
- Rewrote the engineering code style guide for the company that covers many aspects but is mainly tailored to React Native apps.
- Recognized as a team member willing to take on extremely challenging tasks.
Architect and Senior Developer
- Built a number of apps, from small-scope to large projects and experimental pieces in several technology stacks. Most projects (as of 2017-2022) are React-based and written in TypeScript. Most back-end projects are based on Node.js.
- Contributed to several small and medium-sized React Native apps, including the one based on React Native for the web.
- Worked on architecture for moderately complex systems, including scalability, maintainability, cost efficiency, security, and other core architectural concerns.
Senior Front-end Developer
CLARK (via Toptal)
- Participated in the eventual main Clark app front-end rewrite, including full refactoring, improving the structure towards a more component-based approach.
- Implemented and refactored many app components, modifiers, and helpers of various scopes, including quite complex SVG-based interactive animated components.
- Contributed to the migration of Ember components to the new Ember Octane version in both the main app and the Contentful-backed website.
- Helped establish the new naming, structure, and consistency patterns in the codebases for both the main app and the Contentful-backed website.
- Oversaw the improvement of the delivery mechanisms of the public website's updated version, which is a Contentful-backed, multi-language, pre-generated static website with an elaborate structure.
- Built many Contentful data models and brought out consistency patterns for Contentful usage.
Full-stack React and Node.js Developer and Architect
Intergalactic Gaming, Ltd (via Toptal)
- Worked on a project since its inception, providing initial project structures and Lerna-based monorepo configuration. Built pipeline configuration and scripts, set up development, etc.
- Architected and developed the Node.js-based API server (combined REST-like and GraphQL) and worker services for the project back-end side.
- Designed, architected, and took part in implementing the client-side React app; built patterns for styling/theming with styled-components/emotion; organized codebase; and established state management, data flow, and component composition approaches.
- Provided the implementation of many very complex UI-level features and components, including scalable tree-like visualizations, and made the app mobile-friendly.
- Established the coding practices and formatting and linting rules, such as Prettier, TSLint setup, TypeScript definition examples, and some definitions for third-party packages.
EOS New York
- Designed the API and provided the first implementation for the "Wallet Access Layer for EOS" project (now "eos-transit"), whose goal was to provide the abstraction layer for the developer to easily request the user to sign EOS transactions securely.
- Researched a lot, discussed with the team, experimented, and tried hundreds of different approaches to find the right abstraction that would both be useful and third-party wallet provider agnostic.
- Designed and developed the plugin system so that different "wallet providers" could be implemented for different existing third-party EOS wallet applications.
Lead Front-end Developer
- Created completely serverless client-side local-first apps with React and TypeScript.
- Deeply integrated with GitHub API, including both v3 REST API and v4 GraphQL-based.
- Performed deep integration with Auth0 API (sometimes using undocumented features).
- Created, configured, and maintained the consolidated front-end monorepo for all client-side libs, managed with Lerna.
- Involved with UI/UX, supporting a fleet of styled components that implement the corporate UI.
- Created and maintained the style guide app that showcased the components in client packages, designs, etc.
- Created and maintained the boilerplate/template for WDP (Wasphi Delivery Platform) client apps.
EvoBits Information Technology SRL
- Worked hard on emerging the state management patterns, approaches, state structure, and side effects control (using Redux and Ngrx/store).
- Planned and executed the refactoring iterations to keep code in a good shape for a fast-paced movement.
- Implemented lots of reusable controls, helpers, and abstractions for the Angular 2/3/4/5 app, forms state included.
- Worked on the overall app's UI/UX (based on the Genesis UI Prime theme initially, but quite diverged over time).
- Built up the Webpack-based project build and deployment pipeline from scratch (especially complicated due to unusual config because of the legacy project structure).
- Planned the refactoring phases for the pieces of the L2O app for the team members to work on and took part in the refactoring process as well.
- Helped implement the tests for the legacy app functional and performance issues.
- Developed new features as the project was growing.
- Optimized the mobile performance of a responsive Textbox.io editor and lots of other things.
Senior Front-end Developer and UX Specialist
International Technological University
- Designed the UX for the entire ITU Bridge project (ITU project to help ITU students and alumni to apply for jobs at top companies).
- Took part in ITU Bridge and ITU ID (ITU Identity Provider) API design.
- Implemented a Bridge project client application (mid to large-sized application with tons of corner cases).
- Helped implement the internal corporate CRM and API.
- Collaborated with a small team to implement a flagship education management system.
- Built a marketplace for the ClickFunnels digital projects (templates and entire funnels).
- Migrated from older Ember to a newer version with a component-based approach at this position.
- Helped create a corporate style guide of sorts, a separate showcase app to present styling. I handled the entire UI/UX and technical implementation.
- Implemented a neat thing to both run the same markup/code and showcase that as a source (without duplication). The style guide needed code snippets so that team devs can reuse them freely.
- Implemented an extremely consistent CSS (Sass) codebase with components, etc. A bit like Bootstrap/Foundation/Semantic-UI but just an internal framework, with styles following BEM methodology and widgets driven by Ember.js.
Senior Front-end Developer
- Helped transition from Brunch.io to a set of Gulp.js tasks as a modern front-end build system.
- Contributed to the migration of the legacy Backbone.js-based parts of the app to AngularJS.
- Spent a large amount of time on reviews, cooperation, and improving the code quality in an Agile environment.
Lead Front-end Developer
Akzia.iNets Interactive Digital Signage
- Coded the highly-interactive and complex front-end app that is the client UI for payments processing module.
- Created many non-trivial and non-standard animations using AngularJS hooks, CSS3 transitions/animations, SVG animations, and GSAP (GreenSock).
- Ran the project on a specially designed dual-touch-screen multi-media device (Akzia.iNets project).
Technical Project Manager
Convergent Media Group
- Spearheaded the development of a front-end app for a complex advertising platform.
- Managed and developed an internal file storage and synchronization system.
- Analyzed business requirements for technically challenging projects.
- Led the development of the company's technical projects, both external and internal.
Architect, Senior Developer, Team Lead
- Completed a total of 27 independent projects in web development, complex front-end app development, complex animation, web architecture, scalability architecture, real-time systems, kiosk apps, and web APIs.
- Created five complex client-side apps, three of which are fully responsive and run on mobile.
- Implemented seven complicated app UIs, among which were two responsive apps that run on mobile and two animation-heavy apps created for kiosks.
- Implemented five inter-corporate CRM, financial accounting, and decision support systems.
- Contributed to three Ruby on Rails-based projects alongside the client's dev teams.
- Implemented two high-scalability real-time systems with Node.js for financial analysis and collaborative doc flow.
- Implemented around 15 RESTful web APIs (not real-time) integrated with other corporate back-end APIs.
- Designed about ten UIs for different apps (mobile as well).
- Managed 12 development projects as PM (planning, estimates, strategy, customer communication).
Senior Full-stack Developer
- Developed back-end services for a large-scale system (Marine Terminal Operations System).
- Developed the sophisticated front-end UI for the new version of the MTOS web app.
- Took part in architecture decisions for the entire solution.
- Reviewed the solutions and complex strategies to eventually migrate the legacy system to a new platform.
- Performed MTOS codebase and UI reviews, code refactoring, and performance optimization.
Lead Developer, IT Consultant
Royal Travel, LLC
- Led and took part in developing the corporate website, including overall tech stack, architecture, design, and maintenance strategies.
- Developed the tools and app for internal accounting processes.
- Reviewed the corporate IT strategy for internal projects.
- Managed a small team of developers and content editors involved in the development process.
Project Manager, Architect, Developer
YouFashion Online Lingerie Store
- Designed and developed the sophisticated eCommerce platform for the project based on Microsoft .NET web stack.
- Managed the dev team working on new features for both external and internal eCommerce services.
- Implemented the payment processing gateways and payment providers integration.
- Handled overall technical project management and solution architecture.
CEO, Owner, Lead Architect, Senior Developer
IDEA Consulting Agency (formerly Infinima Design Studio)
- Organized the outsourcing development team as a business unit.
- Managed the most valuable high-priority projects as a project manager.
- Embedded Scrum as the team's organizational methodology.
- Applied most Extreme Programming practices into the company's development flow.
- Pioneered TDD and BDD as development driving practices.
- Developed (architected and coded on my own) the highly configurable and flexible MVC framework on ASP.NET platform (prior to ASP.NET MVC being out), which was used in most of the company's web projects.
- Worked on agreements, SLAs and other important corporate documents for the company.
- Completed over thirty large- and medium-scale projects and many more smaller ones as architect, developer, and team lead.
- Defined the guides for UIs that the company made for its projects.
- Developed the set of reusable UI components (CSS/HTML-based) before Twitter Bootstrap.
Project Manager, Lead Developer, Architect
- Created a data warehouse and OLAP solution as a university graduate project for a wholesaler of lingerie and underwear products.
- Built up a solution architecture, data warehouse, and data mart structures and described use cases.
- Coded a complicated ETL utility to sync OLTP system data with denormalized data warehouse.
- Designed and developed the entire report-view application to work with the data warehouse contents, as well as specify analysis dimensions and UI for OLAP cubes.
- Coded a facade around the FileMaker database-backed solution containing actual business accounting information.
Consultant, Project Manager
- Worked as independent IT consultant analyzing the business requirements for projects, performing communication with customers, negotiating pre-sale and project terms, and planning the development process.
- Performed business analysis for customers on contract-based projects.
- Completed eight projects during 1.5 years working as contractor and PM.
- Performed critical development and UI design for projects.
Junior Web Developer
- Developed websites as a freelance developer, around 25 contract-based projects.
- Implemented several custom website content management systems.
- Leveraged nearly all of the web development anti-patterns possible. This was a necessary step and a valuable experience.
Ruzanov Design Studio/TechnoCOM Design/TAAD
- Learned graphic and web design tooling, including basic and slightly more advanced concepts.
- Learned the basics of web animation with Macromedia Flash.
- Created many logos, personal cards, blanks, letterheads, envelopes, and other small designs using Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and CorelDRAW.
- Acquired necessary design, usability, and composition skills that later proved extremely useful for web and UI design.
Akzia.iNets Payment Terminal Front-end App (Development)
Next.js, Angular, Redux, Jasmine, ZURB Foundation, Express.js, Bootstrap, AngularJS, Ember.js, Koa, Hyperapp, React Native, Tailwind CSS, Jest, ASP.NET, Cycle.js, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Laravel, .NET, ASP.NET MVC, Yii, Protractor, NestJS, MUI (Material UI), Slim, Aurelia, Knockout (Knockout.js), PhoneGap, Cypress, Django
Emotion Library, Moment.js, Chai, Lodash, React, Node.js, Backbone.js, jQuery, Socket.IO, MobX, Anime.js, React Navigation, D3.js, REST APIs, InfernoJS, Preact, Sinon.JS, RxJS, Vue, XStream, NgRx/store, GitHub API, Scatter JS, Ramda, Ember FastBoot, Ember Data, React Native for Web, jQuery UI
Webpack, Karma, React Apollo, GitHub, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Git, Zsh, Figma, FileMaker, CorelDRAW, Flash, Fireworks, Rollup, Stylus, Gulp, Brunch, Textbox.io, Auth0, Lerna, WebStorm
Unit Testing, Responsive, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Agile Software Development, Behavior-driven Development (BDD), Test-driven Development (TDD), Agile, Responsive Layout, REST, Mobile Development, Functional Reactive Programming, Reactive Programming, UX Design, Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Functional Programming, Management, Real-time Messaging Protocol (RTMP)
MacOS, Contentful, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), GreenSock Animation Platform (GSAP), Firebase, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Mobile, Oracle, SharePoint, Docker, Blockchain, Linux, Video Platforms
MySQL, Redis, RethinkDB, MongoDB, PostgreSQL, Microsoft SQL Server, CouchDB, Elasticsearch, AWS Elemental
CSS Modules, Styled-components, User Interface (UI), Front-end, Usability, SVG, Apollo, Apollo Server, WebSockets, Ember CLI, SVG Animation, React Testing Library, APIs, Code Review, Data Visualization, Charts, Architecture, Full-stack, Web Development, Software Design, Leadership, API Integration, Technical Leadership, Mobile Apps, Front-end Architecture, ParcelJS, TypeORM, Enzyme, Bitcoin, User Experience (UX), iTerm2, Software Architecture, Segment, Startups, Single Sign-on (SSO), OAuth, Gatsby, Command-line Interface (CLI), Tron Blockchain, Kappa Architecture, CSS-in-JS, EOSIO, EOS, IPFS, Digital Kiosks, Animation, Back-end, Over-the-top Content (OTT), Video Streaming, Streaming, Cloud Architecture, AWS Cloud Architecture, HTTP Live Streaming (HLS), MPEG-DASH, AWS Elemental MediaConnect, AWS Elemental MediaStore, AWS Elemental MediaLive, AWS Elemental MediaPackage, Team Leadership, Remote Team Leadership, Planning, Video Players
Master's Degree in Information Technology, Computer Engineering, Management
Togliatti Academy of Management - Togliatti, Russia