Senior Front-end Developer and Architect2021 - 2022Nuri (formerly Bitwala, via Toptal)
Technologies: React, React Native, React Navigation, Styled-components, Agile, D3.js, React Testing Library
- Took part in a complete redesign/rework of the (then) Bitwala's main React Native-based mobile app to the next generation Nuri app.
- Participated in the huge "Nuri Pots" sub-project from its inception until its release, which added the possibility for the user to seamlessly invest funds in ETFs and get them back to their bank accounts and crypto-wallets.
- Put tons of effort into the codebase refactoring, restructuring, improvement, test coverage, tech debt elimination, and consistency maintenance.
- Worked on the most challenging front-end tasks to date, including some extremely complex interactive and animated chart components for React Native (custom-rendered, but backed by D3 math), circumventing awkward platform-specific quirks, and more.
- Helped build up the consistent React Native component testing patterns and approaches using React Native Testing Library.
- Rewrote the engineering code style guide for the company that covers many aspects but is mainly tailored to React Native apps.
- Been known as a guy who always takes those extremely challenging tasks :).
Senior Front-end Developer2019 - 2021CLARK (via Toptal)
- Participated in the eventual main Clark app front-end rewrite, including full refactoring, improving the structure towards a more component-based approach.
- Implemented and refactored many app components, modifiers, and helpers of various scopes, including quite complex SVG-based interactive animated components.
- Contributed to the migration of Ember components to the new Ember Octane version in both the main app and the Contentful-backed website.
- Helped establish the new naming, structure, and consistency patterns in the codebases for both the main app and the Contentful-backed website.
- Oversaw the improvement of the delivery mechanisms of the public website's updated version, which is a Contentful-backed, multi-language, pre-generated static website with an elaborate structure.
- Built many Contentful data models and brought out consistency patterns for Contentful usage.
Architect and Senior Developer2015 - 2020Independent Consultancy
- Built a number of apps, from small-scope to large projects and experimental pieces in several technologies. Most projects (as of 2017-2020) are React-based and written in TypeScript.
- Contributed to several small and medium-sized React Native apps, including the one based on React Native for the web.
- Worked on architecture for moderately complex systems, including scalability, maintainability, cost-efficiency, security, and other core architectural concerns.
Full-stack React and Node.js Developer and Architect2018 - 2019Intergalactic Gaming, Ltd (via Toptal)
Technologies: Lerna, Webpack, Docker, Redis, PostgreSQL, Apollo, GraphQL, TypeORM, Koa, Node.js, Emotion Library, React, TypeScript
- Worked on a project since its inception, providing initial project structures and Lerna-based monorepo configuration. Built pipeline configuration and scripts, set up development, etc.
- Architected and developed the Node.js-based API server (combined REST-like and GraphQL) and worker services for the project back-end side.
- Designed, architected, and took part in implementing the client-side React app; built patterns for styling/theming with styled-components/emotion; organized codebase; and established state management, data flow, and component composition approaches.
- Provided the implementation of many very complex UI-level features and components, including scalable tree-like visualizations, and made the app mobile-friendly.
- Established the coding practices and formatting and linting rules, such as Prettier, TSLint setup, TypeScript definition examples, and some definitions for third-party packages.
Technologies: Webpack, Scatter JS, EOSIO, Blockchain, EOS, TypeScript
- Designed the API and provided initial implementation for the "Wallet Access Layer for EOS" project (former "wal-eos," now being developed further by the team under "eos-transit"). The project is intended to provide the abstraction layer for the app developer to easily and transparently request the user to sign the EOS transactions in a secure way.
- Researched a lot, discussed with the team, experimented, and tried hundreds of different approaches to find the right abstraction that would both be useful and third-party wallet provider agnostic.
- Designed and developed the plugin system so that different "wallet providers" could be implemented for different existing third-party EOS wallet applications.
Lead Front-end Developer2017 - 2018Wasphi (via Toptal)
Technologies: Lerna, Apollo, GraphQL, GitHub API, Auth0, Koa, Node.js, Styled-components, CSS-in-JS, MobX, Redux, React
- Created completely serverless client-side local-first apps with React and TypeScript.
- Deeply integrated with GitHub API, including both v3 REST API and v4 GraphQL-based.
- Performed deep integration with Auth0 API (sometimes using undocumented features).
- Created, configured, and maintained the consolidated front-end monorepo for all client-side libs, managed with Lerna.
- Involved with UI/UX, supporting a fleet of styled components that implement the corporate UI.
- Created and maintained the style guide app that showcased the components in client packages, designs, etc.
- Created and maintained the boilerplate/template for WDP (Wasphi Delivery Platform) client apps.
Freelance Front-end Developer2017 - 2018EvoBits Information Technology SRL (via Toptal)
Technologies: Unit Testing, React, NgRx/store, Redux, Angular CLI, Angular, TypeScript
- Worked hard on emerging the state management patterns, approaches, state structure, and side effects control (using Redux and Ngrx/store).
- Planned and executed the refactoring iterations to keep code in a good shape for a fast-paced movement.
- Implemented lots of reusable controls, helpers, and abstractions for the Angular 2/3/4/5 app, forms state included.
- Worked on the overall app's UI/UX (based on the Genesis UI Prime theme initially, but quite diverged over time).
Freelance Front-end Developer2016 - 2017L2O (via Toptal)
Technologies: jQuery, Textbox.io, CSS3, HTML5, React, AngularJS
- Built up the Webpack-based project build and deployment pipeline from scratch (especially complicated due to unusual config because of the legacy project structure).
- Planned the refactoring phases for the pieces of the L2O app for the team members to work on and took part in the refactoring process as well.
- Tested for the legacy app.
- Developed new features as the project was growing.
- Optimized the mobile performance of a responsive Textbox.io editor and lots of other things.
Freelance Front-end Developer and UX Specialist2014 - 2017International Technological University (via Toptal)
Technologies: Ruby on Rails (RoR), CSS3, HTML5, AngularJS
- Designed the UX for the entire ITU Bridge project (ITU project to help ITU students and alumni to apply for jobs at top companies).
- Took part in ITU Bridge and ITU ID (ITU Identity Provider) API design.
- Implemented a Bridge project client application (mid to large-sized application with tons of corner cases).
- Helped implement the internal corporate CRM and API.
- Collaborated with a small team to implement a flagship education management system.
Freelance Front-end Developer2015 - 2016ClickFunnels (via Toptal)
- Built a marketplace for the ClickFunnels digital projects (templates and entire funnels).
- Migrated from older Ember to a newer version with a component-based approach at this position.
- Helped create a corporate style guide of sorts, a separate showcase app to present styling. I handled the entire UI/UX and technical implementation.
- Implemented a neat thing to both run the same markup/code and showcase that as a source (without duplication). The style guide needed code snippets so that team devs can reuse them freely.
- Implemented an extremely consistent CSS (Sass) codebase with components, etc. A bit like Bootstrap/Foundation/Semantic-UI but just an internal framework, with styles following BEM methodology and widgets driven by Ember.js.
Freelance Front-end Developer2014 - 2015ConsumerAffairs.com (via Toptal)
- Helped transition from Brunch.io to a set of Gulp.js tasks as a modern front-end build system.
- Contributed to the migration of the legacy Backbone.js-based parts of the app to AngularJS.
- Spent a large amount of time on reviews, cooperation, and improving the code quality in an Agile environment.
Lead Front-end Developer2013 - 2014Akzia.iNets Interactive Digital Signage
- Coded the highly-interactive and complex front-end app that is the client UI for payments processing module.
- Created many non-trivial and non-standard animations using AngularJS hooks, CSS3 transitions/animations, SVG animations, and GSAP (GreenSock).
- Ran the project on a specially designed dual-touch-screen multi-media device (Akzia.iNets project).
Technical Project Manager2012 - 2014Convergent Media Group
- Spearheaded the development of a front-end app for a complex advertising platform.
- Managed and developed an internal file storage and synchronization system.
- Analyzed business requirements for technically challenging projects.
- Led the development of company's technical projects, both external and internal.
Architect, Senior Developer, Team Lead2010 - 2014Independent Consultancy
- Completed a total of 27 independent projects in web development, complex front-end app development, complex animation, web architecture, scalability architecture, real-time systems, kiosk apps, and web APIs.
- Created five complex client-side apps, three of which are fully responsive and run on mobile.
- Implemented seven complicated app UIs, among which were two responsive apps that run on mobile, and two animation-heavy apps created for kiosks.
- Implemented five inter-corporate CRM, financial accounting, and decision support systems.
- Contributed to three Ruby on Rails-based projects alongside the client's dev teams.
- Implemented two high-scalability real-time systems with Node.js for financial analysis and collaborative doc flow.
- Implemented around fifteen RESTful web APIs (not real-time) integrated with other corporate back-end APIs.
- Designed about ten UIs for different apps (mobile as well).
- Managed twelve development projects as PM (planning, estimates, strategy, customer communication).
- Led teams of up to five developers.
Senior Developer2011 - 2013Rolotex/PortsAmerica
- Developed back-end services for a large-scale system (Marine Terminal Operations System).
- Developed the front-end UI for MTOS.
- Took part in architecture decisions for the entire solution.
- Reviewed the solutions and complex strategies to eventually migrate the legacy system to a new platform.
- Performed code and UI reviews.
Developer, IT Consultant2011 - 2012Royal Travel, LLC
Technologies: ASP.NET MVC, ASP.NET, C#, .NET
- Developed the corporate website.
- Developed the tools and app for internal accounting processes.
- Reviewed the corporate IT strategy for internal projects.
Project Manager, Architect, Developer2009 - 2010YouFashion Online Lingerie Store
- Developed the eCommerce platform based on Microsoft .NET web stack.
- Managed the dev team working on new features for both external and internal eCommerce services.
- Implemented the payment processing gateways and payment providers integration.
- Handled overall technical project management and solution architecture.
CEO, Owner, Lead Architect, Senior Developer2006 - 2009IDEA Consulting Agency (formerly Infinima Design Studio)
- Organized the outsourcing development team as a business unit.
- Managed the most valuable high-priority projects.
- Embedded Scrum as the team's organizational methodology.
- Applied most Extreme Programming practices into the company's development flow.
- Pioneered TDD and BDD as development driving practices.
- Developed (architected and coded on my own) the highly configurable and flexible MVC framework on ASP.NET platform (prior to ASP.NET MVC was out) which was used in most of the company's web projects.
- Worked out agreements and SLAs for the company.
- Completed over thirty large- and medium-scale projects and many more smaller ones as architect, developer, and team lead.
- Defined the guides for UIs that the company made for its projects.
- Developed the set of reusable UI components (CSS/HTML-based) before Twitter Bootstrap.
Project Manager, Lead Developer, Architect2004 - 2005Parizhanka, LLC
Technologies: FileMaker, MySQL, PHP
- Created a data warehouse and OLAP solution as a university graduate project for a wholesaler of lingerie and underwear products.
- Built up a solution architecture as well as data warehouse and data marts structures, and described use cases.
- Coded a complicated ETL utility to sync OLTP system data with denormalized data warehouse.
- Designed and developed the entire report-view application to work with the data warehouse contents, as well as specify analysis dimensions and UI for OLAP cubes,.
- Coded a facade around the FileMaker database-backed solution containing actual business accounting information.
Consultant, Project Manager2004 - 2005Independent Consultancy
- Worked as independent IT consultant analyzing the business requirements for projects, performing communication with customers, negotiating pre-sale and project terms, and planning the development process.
- Performed business analysis for customers on contract-based projects.
- Completed eight projects during 1.5 years working as contractor and PM.
- Performed critical development and UI design for projects.
Web Developer2002 - 2003Freelance
Technologies: CSS, HTML, MySQL, PHP
- Developed websites as a freelance developer, around 25 contract-based projects.
- Leveraged nearly all of the web development anti-patterns possible.
Junior Designer1996 - 2000Ruzanov Design Studio/TechnoCOM Design/TAAD
Technologies: Fireworks, Flash, CorelDRAW, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop
- Learned graphic and web design tooling.
- Learned the basics of web animation with Macromedia Flash.
- Created many logos, personal cards, blanks, letterheads, envelopes, and other small designs using Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and CorelDRAW.
- Acquired necessary design, usability, and composition skills that proved extremely useful for web and UI design later.