Toptal is a network of the world’s top 3% of software engineering, design, and finance talent – available on demand to help companies accelerate, adapt, and scale. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun [see this video from The Huffington Post]. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
If you’re not in the job market, you’re exactly the type of person we’re looking for.
As Toptal’s Head of PR, you will be the central authority on all news stories and trending topics within the spaces relevant to the business. You will help build, shape, and protect the Toptal perception and understanding in the media. You will be at the forefront of one of the most important and relevant conversations happening in the media today: employment, jobs, work, gig economy, digital nomadism, future of work, and the digital economy. Through your coordination with the PR team and internal stakeholders, pitch opportunities will be identified and implemented through to publishing. You will manage external media and PR relationships while understanding how their needs overlap with those of Toptal’s needs. You are an expert at building rapport and trust with stakeholders and connecting them with relevant internal spokespeople. Your creativity and ability to achieve mutually beneficial outcomes with top tier media will ensure Toptal’s public image reflects our top 3% philosophy.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
You will be an expert at building trusted relationships with journalists and media. You will clearly map the media needs with relevant Toptal messages, data, and stories while creatively thinking about how to pitch them. You will build and follow a systematic process that also allows for creativity and spontaneity. You will fully manage the pitch ideation, asset development, and publishing process. You will have a continuous pulse on the news cycle and intuitively understand journalists needs. The strength of your relationships with stakeholders and spokespeople will ensure you are able to quickly make connections and create high-quality media opportunities.
In the first week you will:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Review existing Toptal PR content.
- Meet with key executives to understand their perceptions of Toptal and its importance within media areas.
In the first month you will:
- Reach out to existing and new media relationships to send them any updates and potential pitches.
- Be comfortable with our pitch ideation and development process.
In the first three months you will:
- Manage all media relationships and coordinate with internal stakeholders for relevant opportunities.
In the first six months you will:
- Rapidly respond to timely inbound PR opportunities.
- Drive a proactive PR push strategy.
In the first year you will:
- Be fully responsible for all Toptal PR and media communications and relationships.
- You must be an obsessive consumer of news and media.
- You must have a solid understanding of types of headlines, soundbites, and story angles that resonate and attract attention.
- You possess an empathetic understanding of others’ needs, biases, and capabilities.
- Ownership. You take responsibility for Toptal’s public image.
- Quality. You take pride in everything you deliver as a reflection of yourself.
- You must be highly detail-oriented.
- Ability to communicate clearly and constantly with teams via Slack and other collaboration tools.
- Experience in academic research and/or writing of some form from a top university is preferred.
- You must be a relentless, creative problem solver who is unwilling to compromise on the clarity and impact of content.
- You must have outstanding written and verbal communications skills, as well as perfect grammar and command of the English language.
- You must be open to receiving feedback and constructive criticism.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- Raj completed joint Bachelor's and Master's degrees from Oxford in Physics, before ditching oscilloscopes for PowerPoint and getting an MBA from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. He has spent most of his career in consulting at Marakon, focusing on Corporate Strategy and New Market Entry for Fortune 500 Companies. Most recently, Raj launched Skillbridge, a platform that matches top-tier freelance consultants with companies. Raj has also worked for social impact startups in Kenya with Technoserve.