Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun (see this video from The Huffington Post). We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
Are you a report development guru who is looking to have a significant impact by getting the right information into the hands of the right people, at the right time in order to influence crucial business decisions? We are not looking for an order taker! We are looking for those who love to undertake problems, think critically and build an independent view on data so that the best possible business outcomes are achieved.
Toptal prides itself on being an organization that focuses on the data. Our Report Developers build, support, and maintain reports and dashboards both in a push model and in response to specific requests. This role requires expertise in all aspects of report development, including data sourcing, SQL, report design, data visualization, metric calculation, and intuitive user interface creation. Report Developers are self-starters who can prioritize their time, priorities, and multiple projects simultaneously, as well as explain complex issues in a simple and intuitive way.
While this role sits within our new Business Analytics Center of Excellence team, it will support all functions of the business (product, Enterprise, SMB, sales, marketing, operations, finance, and people teams). Together with Data Analysts and Business Analysts, this role will act as an important gatekeeper to drive quality and consistency at Toptal, while building positive relationships and being responsive to functional needs.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Develop both standardized and ad hoc reports supporting all business disciplines using SQL and BI tools (Tableau and Periscope).
- Visually represent data in a consumable and actionable way.
- Pull insights from and formulate use cases around reports and dashboards.
- Drive consistency across outputs by standardizing report design, metric definitions, and standard methodologies.
- Solve problems that arise in data, ETL processes, business processes, definitions, and report development.
- Establish relationships within Business Analytics and with company-wide partners.
- Instill trust and confidence in produced reports across the organization.
- Train end-users on how to view/use reports and dashboards and effectively communicate data requirements.
- Collaborate to build data dictionaries and document definitions, sources, logic, reports, and usage of all metrics and dimensions.
In the first week, expect to:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal while also learning about Toptal’s history, culture, and vision.
- Shadow key teams including Growth, Talent Operations, Enterprise, and SMB to learn the core of Toptal’s operations and capabilities.
In the first month, expect to:
- Understand the data generated through company operations and activities, and where/how that data is stored.
- Understand our current and future data models, key data sets, and key data relationships.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Develop a proficiency of data elements.
- Complete an inventory of current reports, dashboards, metrics, and views.
- Identify duplicates, discrepancies, and out-of-date reports while beginning to develop, standardize, and create a certification of reports.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Provide an assessment of reporting tools and recommendations on tool selection.
- Start to transition users away from old reports to certified reports.
- Contribute to the alignment and standardization of metric definitions across the company.
In the first year, expect to:
- Play a critical part in setting the team up for success.
- Have established a centralized, certified, official reporting repository as a single source of truth for all key company reports.
- Collaborate to establish and implement a data security policy.
- 3+ years of experience in data science, data analysis, analytics, business intelligence, or reporting.
- Remarkably proficient in all areas of report development, including SQL, UI design, development, access management, and platform management.
- Master at incorporating sometimes complex calculations/logic into simple report outputs.
- Proficiency with Business Intelligence tools (Tableau, Qlik, PowerBI, etc.).
- Track record of linking data and analytics to business strategy and operations to drive real impact.
- Proven technical background in math, science, engineering, or statistics; Working knowledge of business processes and concepts.
- A standout colleague that builds strong relationships and establishes trust with business leaders, engineers, and business analytics colleagues.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong professional skepticism, including the ability to challenge assumptions, communicate limitations and flag blind spots.
- Work multi-functionally and independently; take ownership of quality, accuracy, and timeliness of work.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal.