Toptal is a network of the world’s top 3% of software engineering, design, finance, and project management talent – available on demand to help companies accelerate, adapt, and scale. With $100+ million in annual revenue and triple-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun [see this video from The Huffington Post]. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
If you’re not in the job market, you’re exactly the type of person we’re looking for.
As the SEO Manager, you will lead an SEO team at Toptal. You’ll be responsible for executing and supporting the strategy for short-term and long-term SEO growth. You’ll work with a high-energy team of engineers, designers, copywriters, data scientists, and growth experts to grow key business metrics and address both top of funnel head terms and highly qualified long tail terms associated with companies looking to hire elite software engineers, designers, and finance experts.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere in the world.
You will lead a team of SEO specialists to continue to grow our organic presence while working with our product team to optimize conversion rates for organic traffic. You will own the execution of a well-informed strategy for sustainable SEO growth and new content generation while supporting thought leadership, strategic insight, and clear communication (both written and verbal) to your team around that strategy. You will be responsible for reporting regularly on SEO KPIs (including Ranking, Traffic, CTR, Conversion, and CPA) and for conducting backlink analysis of our site and our competitors to find new link opportunities and monitor link quality. You will conduct ongoing SERP analysis of critical head terms and optimize on-page content and internal link architecture for head terms. You will also be responsible for identifying and managing crawl errors, sitemaps, site speed issues, and any other technical issues that can affect ranking. You will be responsible for coordinating the Outreach team to maximize the distribution of our content, as well as for analyzing the impact of their efforts.
In the first week you will:
- Onboard and integrate into Toptal.
- Familiarize yourself with the structure and operations of the current SEO team.
- Dive into the roadmap and the biggest opportunities to focus on for improvement.
In the first month you will:
- Learn the details related to existing SEO and technology stacks.
- Connect with the teams you will work closely with, understand how you will work together to drive successful outcomes of your initiatives - e.g., engineering, growth product management, publications, etc.
- Take ownership of the execution of the SEO roadmap.
- Ensure all SEO projects are correctly tracked and up-to-date on Wrike.
In the first three months you will:
- Project Manage several strategic and regular initiatives to make sure we are on track to deliver all their deliverables on time.
- Continuously improve the processes in place to assess the team performance each quarter, and you will help to set up goals for the next quarter in a seamless manner.
- Continuously help to create and deliver training programs to grow the knowledge and skills of the team.
In the first six months you will:
- Expand scale and scope of your team and projects.
In the first year you will:
- Become the SEO execution leader and manager of an extensive SEO team that is doing cutting-edge SEO innovation
- 3+ years of recent experience on SEO - ideally leading teams.
- Deep understanding of SEO concepts and how SEO has evolved over time.
- Experience working in distributed teams.
- You must feel comfortable at driving, tracking, and reporting the progress of multiple SEO projects involving many people in a professional and organized way, by using tools such as Wrike, Asana, etc.
- You must know how to quantitatively analyze the impact of SEO programs. A bachelor’s degree in science or engineering is preferred, but not required.
- You must feel very comfortable at managing complex spreadsheets in Google Sheets or Microsoft Excel; experience with Tableau and SQL is a plus.
- Comfort collaborating with both developers and marketers to accomplish SEO objectives, including the ability to create world-class product specifications.
- Knowledge of various technologies and web design principles and their effect on SEO.
- Experience implementing content-focused and technical SEO tactics independently or by working with developers.
- Extensive experience with software for data, tracking, and analytics, including SEMRush and/or Moz Pro, Google Analytics, Google Webmaster Tools, Google Keyword Planner, Google * PageSpeed Insights, advanced Excel, etc.
- Be extremely knowledgeable at conversion rate optimization and best practices.
- Have an extremely sharp eye for detail and a strong sense of what types of creative products will be both effective for organic growth and conversion and representative of the Toptal brand.
- Be able to build and scale in a fast-growing company with a focus on execution.
- You must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
View the whole team →WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
- Alejandro is our Director of SEO. His career in technology started at the age of 12 when he founded one of the first Bulletin Board Systems in Argentina. He is the founder of Postcron.com, a SaaS company that helps marketers to manage their social networks. With a background in electrical engineering and control systems, and as an award-winning student of the Engineering School of the Catholic University of Córdoba, Alejandro excels at using mathematical methods to model and optimize marketing systems. As Toptal's Director of SEO, he ensures that Toptal dominates the SERPs, by building the right teams, tracking, and control systems, with an entrepreneurial approach based on creativity and ruthless optimization.
- Gabriel is our VP of Growth Marketing. He leads our customer acquisition strategy for both SMB and Enterprise segments. His career in technology started at age 13 when he built a revenue-generating social website. Afterward, he worked in management consulting, growth and product management in companies such as Facebook and InsideSales.com. He earned degrees in Industrial Engineering, Data Analytics, and an MBA from Stanford University. Outside of work, Gabriel enjoys training for long distance triathlons and traveling around the world.