Verified Expert in Finance
Ethan is an investment banking and hedge fund analyst turned entrepreneur. Drawing from experiences executing $5 billion+ in M&A transactions at Lazard and Blackstone as well as sourcing and evaluating long/short equity investments at a $1.5 billion hedge fund, he’s developed a strong foundation in financial modeling, M&A analysis, and equity research—skills that he enjoys leveraging as a freelancer to help a wider variety of clients.
Melvin Capital Management
- Covered active positions across 5 industry sectors, including: technology, health care, financials, energy, and education.
- Built full operating models, including valuation (discounted cash flow and trading multiples), ROIC, and supplementary analyses.
- Developed primary research through calls with customers, competitors, consultants and former employees; analyzed third-party data.
- Composed investment proposals/summaries, earnings previews and complementary materials for prospective and active positions.
- Created and updated a multi-variable stock screen; evaluated potential ideas to add to the current “watch-list”.
- Attended management meetings as well as industry- and company-specific conferences and events.
- Gained investment experience on a $2 billion asset management company (short) which generated a 45% return over a 12-month time period.
- Invested with a $1 billion energy technology company (short) which generated a 55% return over a 12-month time period.
Mergers & Acquisitions, Analyst
The Blackstone Group
- Worked primarily across 3 industry groups—industrials, healthcare, and media & communications—as part of a generalist program.
- Performed valuation and transaction analyses; including public comparables, precedent transactions, discounted cash flow, sum-of-the-parts, a leveraged buyout, and accretion/dilution.
- Conducted industry and company-specific due diligence to create presentations and supplementary materials for clients; attended client meetings to support the senior bankers.
- Managed due diligence requests from bidders, scheduled weekly update and Q&A calls, created supporting materials with respect to assumptions and overall valuation.
- Advised a $2 billion homebuilding company on a potential sell-side process.
- Advised Verso Corporation on a capital restructuring and potential sell-side process.
- Advised Sachem Head & Pershing Square on their activist investment in Zoetis.
Mergers & Acquisitions, Summer Analyst
- Received a full-time offer following the completion of a 10-week training and internship program.
- Worked across 5 industry teams: technology, media & telecommunications, health care, general banking, power & energy, and restructuring.
- Performed valuation analyses, including discounted cash flow, sum-of-the-parts, accretion/dilution, public comparables, precedent transactions, and analysis at various prices.
- Conducted industry and company-specific research to compose marketing materials and company presentations; attended client meetings to support the senior bankers.
- Implemented the Shire's $4.2 billion acquisition of ViroPharma.
Bachelor of Business Administration in Finance
The University of Texas at Austin - Austin, TX, USA