Verified Expert in Finance
Farhad has over 10 years of experience working with executives of startups, VCs (Anthemis), private equity (InFrontier), and multinationals (Credit Suisse M&A). He has participated in M&A, PE, and VC transactions totaling over $10 billion. Farhad enjoys freelancing as it provides opportunities to meet fascinating entrepreneurs, investors, and lenders, and to leverage his expertise to help them build and grow sustainable businesses.
- Actively assisted clients across the globe to conduct strategic reviews, valuations, and financial and legal due diligence; structure cross-border M&A transactions; perform international business development; and build strategic partnerships.
- Helped existing anchor investors raise additional equity growth capital for geographical expansion of a technology startup focused on online education.
- Collaborated with the chairman and chief operating officer of a pan-African B2B eCommerce platform to raise $3 million of equity capital. I assisted in building a detailed financial model in Excel, conducted market research, created an investor presentation, and established an online data room.
- Assisted the founders of an eCommerce platform to secure £3 million in equity growth capital to expand into new markets. We collaborated to develop a detailed financial model and an investor presentation.
- Served as managing director for InFrontier, an investment company specializing in pre-emerging markets with investment teams based in London, Kabul, Tashkent, and Karachi.
- Set up and managed the day-to-day local operations of the fund in Kabul; helped the board identify and invest in market leaders with the potential to shape whole sectors of the economy; created a pipeline of investment opportunities; conducted extensive commercial, financial, legal, management/shareholder, and on-the-ground operational due diligence; and performed valuations and term sheet negotiations with the founders and boards of investment opportunities.
- Led investment opportunity analyses. Examples include: 1) A pharmacy chain (the fund’s first investment as reported in the Financial Times); 2) A privately owned medical equipment manufacturer and distributor with operations in multiple cities; 3) Privately owned medical laboratories; 4) A reputable, privately owned bank with multiple branches across the country; 5) Mobile money/network operators; and 6) A privately owned university.
- Participated in meetings with ambassadors from the international community, World Bank/IFC executives, and local politicians, as well as entrepreneurs, shareholders, and senior management teams from the private sector including medical devices/services, financial/mobile money services, telecoms, media, education, retail, and oil and gas.
- Organized a mobile business symposium, inviting local and international speakers to discuss strengths, challenges, and opportunities within the mobile sector such as health, education, and finance/payments.
- Prepared training materials for MBA students on private equity, accounting, financial modeling, and due diligence.
- Participated in a small team responsible for setting up Anthemis Group. Anthemis is a holding company providing strategy, leadership, and capital to startups that have innovative business models at the intersection of financial services, markets, and technology.
- Served as a strategic advisor to the board of a multinational clearing bank, assisting them with a detailed strategic review of their global operations.
- Conducted in-person interviews with clients, competitors, suppliers, country directors, sales executives, and account management teams in London, Amsterdam, Paris, Chicago, New York, Singapore, Hong Kong, and Sydney. Presented detailed findings and recommendations to the board of the bank in Amsterdam.
- Managed numerous sell-side and buy-side M&A processes including all aspects of the transactions: due diligence (financial, legal, operational, and tax); management and board presentations; term sheet negotiations; and completion documentation.
- Advised on multiple successful cross-border transactions. Examples include: 1) Acquisition of TimesofMoney (India) by Network International (UAE); 2) Acquisition of Envoy by WorldPay; 3) Acquisition of ODL Group (UK) by FXCM Holdings LLC (US); and 4) Strategic partnership of National Stock Exchange of India with the Chicago Mercantile Exchange and the Singapore Exchange.
- Served as a hands-on mentor for Seedcamp (a portfolio company of Anthemis Group). I helped the team jump-start the entrepreneurial community in Europe by connecting next-generation developers and entrepreneurs with over 400 mentors from a top-tier network of company builders. These included seed investors, serial entrepreneurs, product experts, HR and PR specialists, marketers, lawyers, recruiters, journalists, and venture capitalists.
- Collaborated with the management team of Seedcamp to launch the incubator in various markets around the globe including London, Singapore, and Mumbai.
- Originated and completed projects across a range of industries including healthcare, retail, real estate, media, energy, technology, and financial institutions.
- Built detailed financial and valuation models for discounted cash flow, sum-of-the-parts, and leveraged buyout analyses. I also created a merger model template for the team.
- Prepared client presentations, memoranda of information, engagement letters, non-disclosure agreements, and press announcements. I liaised with colleagues across industry and product groups including equity capital markets, leveraged finance, and financial sponsors.
- Participated in external meetings to present investment opportunities; conduct operational, legal, financial, and regulatory due diligence; and manage various complex and time-sensitive M&A processes and teams.
- Delivered multiple successful cross-border projects/transactions. Examples include: 1) Public cash offer for Arawak Energy Limited (UK) by Rosco S.A. (Switzerland); 2) Recommended public cash offer for Benfield Group (UK) by AON Corp.; (US), 3) Recommended public cash offer for Zodiak Television AB (Sweden) by De Agostini (Italy); 4) Acquisition of a 25% stake in Kazkommertsbank (Kazakhstan) by Alnair Capital (UAE); and 5) Recommended public cash offer for Sondex plc (UK) by General Electric Company (US).
Bachelor's Degree in Biomedical Engineering
Imperial College London - London, United Kingdom