Verified Expert in Finance
As an M&A transaction services associate, Jerod saved a buy-side institutional client £3 million by correctly modeling normalized working capital of their £400 million target. Over his 13 year career as a CPA and CFA charter holder, Jerod has excelled at helping executive decision-makers harness the value underlying their businesses. He enjoys working with a diverse client base from the backdrop of the west coast.
Burrard Inlet Rail Contracting
- Implemented the company’s first month-end close process and internalized all bookkeeping done by external accountants.
- Developed, got agreement on, and prepared monthly reporting package for the company.
- Implemented a cashflow management process to allow for short and long term cashflow planning.
- Built and maintained a three statement financial model to capture the key business drivers and forecast out expected future performance.
- Built a bidding tool to allow for accurate capture of costs and margins when preparing RFP submissions, helping mitigate the company’s exposure to taking on unprofitable projects.
- Led negotiations with key suppliers to align contract terms with the seasonal nature of the business.
Western Forest Products Inc.
- Designed, prepared, and presented weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reporting packages for senior executive management and external lenders.
- Identified control weaknesses and designed and implemented preventative control procedures to safeguard company assets across all manufacturing divisions.
- Coordinated monthly and quarterly forecasts and annual budget activities, in addition to consolidated and presented results and key assumptions to senior executive management.
- Provided financial analysis on all major strategic capital projects related to the manufacturing business from DCF and NPV assumptions and calculations, through to post-project evaluation.
- Built and provided standardized sensitivity tools for operations accountants to use to quickly and easily identify the financial impact of opportunities and issues at their divisions.
- Led the user acceptance testing (UAT) portion of a Dynamics 365 finance system implementation to ensure system configurations and standard operating procedures met the current and future needs of the manufacturing business.
Coulson Group of Companies
- Designed and constructed detailed financial models to capture key performance indicators of group companies and reported results to senior executive management, including recommendations for decision making.
- Built and presented business cases for major capital expenditures with respect to systems and infrastructure improvements, then designed and implemented changes with input from team members.
- Negotiated procurement contracts with key suppliers that fit with the objectives of the business.
- Prepared and presented weekly, monthly, and annual reporting packages for senior executive management, external lenders, and insurance providers.
- Prepared daily cash flow forecasts and traded three currencies in the spot markets across group companies.
Senior Financial Analyst
Viking Pacific Inc.
- Prepared teaser document, prospectus report, and valuation for a sell-side client in the oil and gas services industry looking to exit the northern Alberta oil patch.
- Prepared an independent industry research report for a high net worth investor looking to buy into the e-discovery software business.
- Prepared independent valuation of a medical accessibility solutions manufacturer looking for a strategic buyer.
- Designed, implemented, and executed a new client acceptance screening process for all prospective new clients to ensure fit from an investment perspective in line with the stated objectives and values of the firm.
- Created a paperless, virtual office environment where contractors, employees, and customers could work seamlessly from any location through the use of purpose-built apps and cloud-based SAAS solutions.
M&A Transaction Services Associate
- Led the preparation and presented the trading section of a buy-side financial due diligence report for a Canadian pension fund looking to purchase a national UK gaming company (transaction value: £400 million).
- Led the preparation of a buy-side financial due diligence report for a UK plc client looking to acquire a waste management company in the UK (transaction value: £8 million).
- Analyzed historical and projected balance sheet, P&L, and cash flow accounts to produce a long-form and financial projections report for a company in the real estate development, retail and hotel property management industries in the UAE in preparation for an IPO on the LSE (transaction value: £2 billion).
- Analyzed historical financial statements, projected a 3-year business plan and supporting management reporting data to produce a current trading analysis as part of a vendor due diligence report for use by prospective purchasers of a major UK based facilities management company looking to sell a major portion of its UK business.
- Analyzed cash flow forecasts and profit and loss projections for a company that was looking to acquire a smaller competitor in the printing industry. Duties also included testing assumptions of forecasts by applying sensitivities, conducting interviews with target management, and producing a PowerPoint-based report highlighting the key findings of the analysis.
- Performed desk-based research and liaised with KPMG offices in Asia to analyze economic and market variables in order to produce a comprehensive report on the state of the commercial real estate industry in South East Asia for an international property development company.
Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration
Simon Fraser University - Burnaby, BC, Canada
Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
Chartered Professional Accountant
Chartered Professional Accountants of British Columbia