Verified Expert in Finance
Marty is a private equity professional who also has experience working inside small- and medium-sized businesses in a wide variety of industries. He has led M&A processes and also helped CEOs create and drive strategies. In addition to closing private equity deals, he has raised debt and equity financing, built financial packages and financial models, worked as a CFO for multiple businesses in the software/SaaS, retail, distribution, and fintech sectors, and has helped start businesses.
- Rebuilt a detailed financial model to determine capital needs for future growth.
- Developed a detailed financial reporting package with KPI's, trends, and variance analysis.
- Revamped the AR collection process to enable the company to collect all long-dated AR.
- Redesigned the invoicing process to streamline the process to ensure efficient and accurate customer invoicing.
- Implemented a new accounting system in the Indian subsidiary (in progress).
- Closed the acquisition of Education Dynamics, a provider of marketing services and analytical tools to higher education institutions. Tasks completed included leading the due diligence (accounting, industry, customer, IT, and insurance), building an operating model used to underwrite the investment and raise the debt capital, leading negotiations of the credit agreement, and participating in the negotiations of the purchase agreement.
- Closed an add-on acquisition of Unigo, a portal designed to help match high school students with universities. Tasks completed included building a pro forma model and participating in due diligence and strategy sessions prior to and after closing the deal.
- Completed the acquisition of California Medical Evaluators (CME), a provider of medical-legal evaluations in California. Tasks completed included leading the due diligence (accounting, industry, customer, IT and insurance), building the detailed projection model, helping develop the investment thesis, leading negotiations on the credit agreement, and participating in the negotiations on the purchase agreement.
- Developed a financial reporting package and a KPI dashboard for the finance function of CME.
- Supervised the add-on acquisition efforts for CME, including sourcing, valuation, and structuring.
- Led new deal origination efforts for Muirlands Capital.
Founder | Freelance Consultant
Mooney Capital Advisors
- Worked with a private equity-owned fitness company on multiple initiatives, including understanding its near-term and medium-term cash needs, developing its strategic plan, negotiating a credit agreement amendment, developing budgeting and financial forecasting procedures, divesting certain assets, and restructuring the ownership of selected franchise locations.
- Collaborated a private equity-owned aerospace supplier, Vaupell Inc., on its sale to Sumitomo Bakelite. Tasks completed included preparing and organizing data room materials and participating in the completion of due diligence requests for multiple buyers.
- Served as an interim CFO and assisted with capital raising for Bennett Day School, a for-profit Pre-K 8th-grade school in Chicago. Tasks completed included building a detailed projection model, forecasting capital needs, working with the CEO to develop and refine the strategy, and creating presentations for potential investors and the board of directors.
- Advised a well-known management team on the potential purchase of multiple energy and risk management subsidiaries of a public company. Tasks completed included building a detailed forecast model, developing detailed public company and precedent transaction multiples analyses, participating in meetings to raise equity capital, and participating in strategy development meetings.
- Created a financial model and helped craft the strategy for a roll-up in the wealth management sector.
- Developed a template financing model for heating oil dealers in the northeast US.
- Built a financial forecast model for a new startup in the propane and heating oil monitoring market.
Equity 38 LLC
- Spearheaded the investment in Beaming Wellness LLC, a multi-unit superfood retail company based in southern California. Built a detailed model, developed a long-term business plan, and led third-party due diligence and legal documentation.
- Helped lead investment in TRX, a designer and marketing of functional training equipment for gyms and consumers. Built a detailed model, developed a long-term business plan, and led third-party due diligence and legal documentation.
- Led the merger of Beaming Wellness with Project Juice. Built detailed model, developed a long-term business plan, and led third-party due diligence and legal documentation.
- Helped lead a Series B investment into OVME LLC, a multi-unit medical aesthetic business. Built detailed model, developed a long-term business plan, and led third-party due diligence and legal documentation.
- Supervised other potential investments in consumer products and multi-unit retail concepts that ultimately did not close. In all cases, I built a detailed financial model, helped the management team create a long-term financial plan and did industry due diligence.
Nova Capital Management
- Completed the $214-million leveraged buyout of Newell Rubbermaid Hardware division, a portfolio of five businesses.
- Assisted in the ongoing management of the Newell Rubbermaid Hardware businesses—including working directly with senior management on multiple projects to improve operations and the capital structure. Completed a restructuring of the balance sheet and participated in the quarterly board of director meetings.
- Developed an extensive pipeline of potential new deals for the firm and helped lead efforts to expand the network of intermediary contacts. Sourced and presented more deals to investment committee than any other member of the firm over my two years.
- Performed due diligence, valuation, and modeling on multiple potential new deals in a wide variety of industries including industrial manufacturing, consumer products, chemicals, energy, transportation and logistics, paper and packaging, and waste management.
- Completed due diligence, but it still led to the ultimate failure of the deal in Project Gridiron (a complex buyout of GP interest in five different portfolio companies in the consumer products and transportation industries).
- Led the due diligence of Project Poe—a buyout of seven remaining portfolio companies from two legacy private equity funds. Business industries included air freight transportation, contract manufacturing of consumer products, automotive parts manufacturing, lawn and garden products manufacturing, rental equipment for oilfield services, scrapbook product manufacturing, and marketing services.
Code Hennessy & Simmons
- Supported senior investment professionals in origination and evaluation of potential investment opportunities and portfolio company management focused on the distribution, consumer products, infrastructure, industrial, specialty rental, healthcare, and education sectors.
- Performed valuations using leveraged buyout, comparable company trading, and precedent transaction analyses.
- Assisted TruckPro, an aftermarket truck parts distributor, in the restructuring of its balance sheet.
- Assisted in the $164.5 million sale of Suture Express, a healthcare distribution company.
- Assisted Swank Audio Visuals, a provider of audio-visual services to high-end hotels, in the restructuring of its balance sheet.
Investment Banking Analyst
- Assisted senior bankers in the origination and execution of a strategic advisory (merger, acquisition, divestiture, and leveraged buyout) and financing (debt, equity, and convertible) assignments focused in the industrial, automotive, consumer, and healthcare sectors.
- Completed financial valuation analyses including a discounted cash flow, a leveraged buyout, comparable companies, and precedent transactions.
- Worked on the $705-million sale of Cellnet for GTCR Golder Rauner. Tasks included helping write the offering memorandum, assisting in the creation of the management presentation, coordinating the completion of due diligence requests for multiple buyers, and compiling materials to support our recommendation to accept the final proposed valuation.
- Worked on Steel Dynamics' $1.1 billion acquisition of OmniSource and the $370 million acquisition of the Techs. Tasks completed included building detailed projection models for the targets as well as the combined entity, preparing detailed valuation support (DCF, precedent transaction multiple and comparable public company multiple analyses) for the purchase price of each company, and developed the fairness opinion presentation.
- Worked on Eaton's €1.55 billion purchase of Moeller, and on Eaton’s $1.6 billion equity offering to finance the transaction. Tasks completed include building a detailed model for the target and combined company, compiling valuation analyses (DCF, precedent transaction, multiple and comparable, public company multiple analyses) to support the purchase price, developing the fairness opinion presentation, and developing the equity roadshow presentation.
Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Finance and Entrepreneurship
Kellogg School of Management - Evanston, IL, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Finance
University of Notre Dame - South Bend, IN, USA