Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, United States
Member since June 30, 2017
Marty is a private equity professional who also has experience working inside small- and medium-sized businesses in a wide variety of industries. He has led M&A processes and also helped CEOs create and drive strategies. In addition to closing private equity deals, he has raised debt and equity financing, built financial packages and financial models, worked as an interim CFO, and has helped start businesses.
- Principal2015 - PRESENTMuirlands Capital
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Budgeting, Finance Strategy, Strategic Finance Management, Financial Reporting, Financial Restructuring, Financial Modeling, Three Statement Operating Model, Valuation Modeling, Investment Thesis, Investment Memoranda, Investor Decks
- Closed the acquisition of Education Dynamics, a provider of marketing services and analytical tools to higher education institutions. Tasks completed included leading the due diligence (accounting, industry, customer, IT, and insurance), building an operating model used to underwrite the investment and raise the debt capital, leading negotiations of the credit agreement, and participating in the negotiations of the purchase agreement.
- Closed an add-on acquisition of Unigo, a portal designed to help match high school students with universities. Tasks completed included building a pro forma model and participating in due diligence and strategy sessions prior to and after closing the deal.
- Completed the acquisition of California Medical Evaluators (CME), a provider of medical-legal evaluations in California. Tasks completed included leading the due diligence (accounting, industry, customer, IT and insurance), building the detailed projection model, helping develop the investment thesis, leading negotiations on the credit agreement, and participating in the negotiations on the purchase agreement.
- Developed a financial reporting package and a KPI dashboard for finance function of CME.
- Led the add-on acquisition efforts for CME, including sourcing, valuation, and structuring.
- Led new deal origination efforts for Muirlands Capital.
- Founder | Freelance Consultant2011 - PRESENTMooney Capital Advisors
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Financial Modeling, Capital Raising, Budgeting, Financial Reporting, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Financial Strategy
- Worked with a private equity-owned fitness company on multiple initiatives, including understanding its near-term and medium-term cash needs, developing its strategic plan, negotiating a credit agreement amendment, developing budgeting and financial forecasting procedures, divesting certain assets, and restructuring the ownership of selected franchise locations.
- Worked with a private equity-owned aerospace supplier, Vaupell Inc., on its sale to Sumitomo Bakelite. Tasks completed included preparing and organizing data room materials and participating in the completion of due diligence requests for multiple buyers.
- Served as an interim CFO and assisted with capital raising for Bennett Day School, a for-profit Pre-K 8th-grade school in Chicago. Tasks completed included building detailed projection model, forecasting capital needs, working with the CEO to develop, and refining the strategy, and creating presentations for potential investors and the board of directors.
- Advised a well-known management team on the potential purchase of multiple energy and risk management subsidiaries of a public company. Tasks completed included building a detailed forecast model, developing detailed public company and precedent transaction multiples analyses, participating in meetings to raise equity capital, and participating in strategy development meetings.
- Created a financial model and helped craft the strategy for a roll-up in the wealth management sector.
- Developed a template financing model for heating oil dealers in the northeast US.
- Developed a financial forecast model for a new startup in the propane and heating oil monitoring market.
- Vice President2013 - 2015Nova Capital Management
Focus areas: Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Budgeting, Financial Modeling, Valuation Modeling, Financial Strategy
- Completed the $214 million leveraged buyout of Newell Rubbermaid Hardware division, a portfolio of 5 businesses.
- Assisted in the ongoing management of the Newell Rubbermaid Hardware businesses—including working directly with senior management on multiple projects to improve operations and the capital structure. Completed a restructuring of the balance sheet and participated in quarterly board of director meetings.
- Developed an extensive pipeline of potential new deals for the firm and helped lead efforts to expand the network of intermediary contacts. Sourced and presented more deals to investment committee than any other member of the firm over my 2 years.
- Performed due diligence, valuation, and modeling on multiple potential new deals in a wide variety of industries including industrial manufacturing, consumer products, chemicals, energy, transportation and logistics, paper and packaging, and waste management.
- Completed due diligence, but it still led to the ultimate failure of the deal in Project Gridiron (a complex buyout of GP interest in 5 different portfolio companies in the consumer products and transportation industries).
- Led the due diligence of Project Poe—a buyout of 7 remaining portfolio companies from 2 legacy private equity funds. Business industries included air freight transportation, contract manufacturing of consumer products, automotive parts manufacturing, lawn and garden products manufacturing, rental equipment for oilfield services, scrap book product manufacturing, and marketing services.
- Associate2008 - 2010Code Hennessy & Simmons
Focus areas: Financial Modeling, Valuation Modeling, Three Statement Operating Model, Budgeting, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Finance Strategy, Investment Thesis, Investment Memoranda
- Supported senior investment professionals in origination and evaluation of potential investment opportunities and portfolio company management focused in the distribution, consumer products, infrastructure, industrial, specialty rental, healthcare, and education sectors.
- Performed valuations using leveraged buyout, comparable company trading, and precedent transaction analyses.
- Assisted TruckPro, an aftermarket truck parts distributor, in the restructuring of its balance sheet.
- Assisted in the $164.5 million sale of Suture Express, a healthcare distribution company.
- Assisted Swank Audio Visuals, a provider of audio-visual services to high-end hotels, in the restructuring of its balance sheet.
- Investment Banking Analyst2006 - 2008Morgan Stanley
Focus areas: Financial Modeling, Valuation Modeling, Investment Memoranda, Pitch Deck Financials
- Assisted senior bankers in the origination and execution of a strategic advisory (merger, acquisition, divestiture and leveraged buyout) and financing (debt, equity, and convertible) assignments focused in the industrial, automotive, consumer, and healthcare sectors.
- Completed financial valuation analyses including a discounted cash flow, a leveraged buyout, comparable companies, and precedent transactions.
- Worked on the $705 million sale of Cellnet for GTCR Golder Rauner. Tasks included helping write the offering memorandum, assisting in the creation of the management presentation, coordinating the completion of due diligence requests for multiple buyers, and compiling materials to support our recommendation to accept the final proposed valuation.
- Worked on Steel Dynamics' $1.1 billion acquisition of OmniSource and the $370 million acquisition of the Techs. Tasks completed included building detailed projection models for the targets as well as the combined entity, preparing detailed valuation support (DCF, precedent transaction multiple and comparable public company multiple analyses) for the purchase price of each company, and developed the fairness opinion presentation.
- Worked on Eaton's €1.55 billion purchase of Moeller, and on Eaton’s $1.6 billion equity offering to finance the transaction. Tasks completed include building a detailed model for the target and combined company, compiling valuation analyses (DCF, precedent transaction multiple and comparable public company multiple analyses) to support the purchase price, developing the fairness opinion presentation, and developing the equity roadshow presentation.
- Why Every Business Should Build Weekly Cash Flow Forecasts (Publication)When most finance professionals hear the term “13 week cash Forecast,” they view it as a burden—one more task to appease an overbearing lender. It doesn’t help that it seems less exciting than analyzing an investment or acquisition. Therefore, people often only prioritize these forecasts in distressed situations, when it is too late to take corrective actions. However, in this article, Toptal Finance Expert Marty Mooney argues that weekly cash forecasts are crucial for all businesses, irrespective of size, health, or sector. It also provides a simple tutorial for efficiently building such analyses.
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Finance and Entrepreneurship2010 - 2012Kellogg School of Management - Evanston, IL, USA
- Bachelor's degree in Finance2003 - 2006University of Notre Dame - South Bend, IN, USA