Verified Expert in Finance
Nick's career has been heavily focused on implementing financial and operational strategies that transform businesses by improving efficiency and aligning processes and results with overall organizational objectives. By executing various strategies accurately and efficiently, Nick has delivered high-value solutions in a variety of project types: real estate portfolio strategy, sales compensation strategy, capital investment strategy, performance management, and acquisition/valuation processes.
Three-statement and Valuation Model
Consolidated P&L and Management Dashboard for Portfolio of Three Businesses
Director, Strategic FP&A
- Led strategic planning for annual and long-range real estate portfolio and sales optimization initiatives, improved average store profitability by $100 thousand, resulting in $81 million incremental annual 4-wall EBITDA.
- Owned investment analysis for acquisitions, new lines of business, capital expenditures, and strategic initiatives for the organization. The impact included a $1 million annual improvement in the newly launched call center business.
- Enabled $700 million of M&A activity by identifying candidates for acquisition, building valuation models, forecasting performance, and projecting expected synergies.
- Built and utilized robust ROIC models for organizational investments that led to a 59% improvement in the average payback period on growth investments.
- Created and implemented a Capital Authorization Request process and detailed capital expense reporting and forecasting processes that improved cash flow by $1.5 million.
- Collaborated with other team leaders to design and implement a new sales compensation structure aligned with the company's strategic goals, leading to a 6% operating margin improvement.
- Owned development of the budget and monthly forecasting processes for occupancy, labor, and capital expenses totaling $285 million annually.
- Spearheaded the implementation of improved budgeting and forecasting process for $65 million of annual occupancy expense, increasing forecasting accuracy to a monthly variance of less than 2%.
Senior Financial Analyst
- Achieved $250 thousand in expense savings by finding an alternative to our existing real estate software provider and developing in-house analytics for new location forecasting.
- Worked with stakeholders to develop annual departmental budgets throughout the organization, including IT, human resources, accounting, asset protection, real estate, and store construction.
- Complied with and analyzed store P&Ls monthly. Charged with identifying trends and forecasting future performance, isolating candidates for performance management, relocation, or closure.
- Reviewed and validated the general ledger entries made by accounting at the end of each month, ensuring any adjustments or re-classes from prior months were accurately reflected.
- Worked on the monthly review of departmental expenses with internal stakeholders to detail variances to budget and provided updated forecasts through the remainder of the year.
Roman Catholic Diocese of Raleigh
- Served as the sole financial consultant for roughly 130 parishes and Catholic schools in eastern North Carolina.
- Reviewed and amended annual budgets, monthly results, and annual forecasts for all parishes and schools in the diocese.
- Reviewed and validated requests for capital expenditures using cash flow analysis.
- Performed risk evaluation and constructed term loans for parishes that requested additional funding to ensure sufficient cash flow and liquidity to service the loans.
Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Finance
Ball State University - Muncie, Indiana, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration
Stony Brook University - Stony Brook, NY, USA
Advanced Valuation Executive Certificate Program
New York University
Financial Modeling and Valuations Analyst (FMVA)
Corporate Finance Institute