2018 - PRESENT
Roumen Finance Advisory
- Performed a comprehensive strategic business plan review and valuation analysis including engaging in detailed market research to identify valuation-enhancing growth opportunities as well as identifying and remediating operational risks. The work culminated in a recommendation to establish new business partnerships to maximize value for the business.
- Created a summary valuation for a medium-sized enterprise, utilizing a discounted cash flow as well as comparable company analysis to help secure a successful equity investment from an outside party.
- Supported the investment funding, corporate venturing and business case reviews as right-hand to the Executive Board of a cross-border Transmission System Operator in North-West Europe.
- Delivered the valuation for several different intellectual property. These valuations were used as part of transfer pricing negotiations with national tax authorities.
Focus areas: Business Planning, Leadership Development, Training & Training Content Development, Training, Coaching, Three Statement Operating Model, Strategic Planning & Execution, Intangible Asset Valuation, Valuation Analysis, Valuation Modeling
Director, Capital Allocation
2017 - 2018
Liberty Global PLC
- Designed and implemented governance for $1+ billion of capital investment for an international group. The governance ensured the linkage of planned investment to strategy, long-range financial forecasts, operational planning, and execution, as well as management reporting with a standard set of measurement metrics.
- Optimized the group's capital allocation via a top-down process that prioritized projects by return and strategic alignment, apportioned capital to distinct countries and investment categories, and implemented standardized performance metrics to monitor the amount and return on investment.
- Created a robust control framework, identifying and monitoring key performance indicators ("KPIs") as well as tracking strategies to monitor efficiency improvement and savings opportunities.
- Conducted the investment appraisal, including the review of the strategic and financial business cases, created detailed financial models, and benchmarked and prioritized the investment opportunities, helping to drive improved capital allocation efficiency.
- Balanced the group's capital requirements with the capital to sales guidance given to capital markets helping to forecast revenues and balancing the prioritization of investment activity based on the sales performance.
- Delivered the financial budget and monitored the performance recording the difference between budget and actuals, delivering monthly analysis to the SVP Finance.
- Managed the monthly capital investment committee with the CTO, CFO, and other key stakeholders and was responsible for reviewing the prospective returns of all capital expenditure proposals, prioritizing capital deployment, and ensuring planned expenditures aligned with the long-term plan.
Focus areas: Capital Markets, Cash Flow Forecasting, Financial Reporting, Zero-based Budgeting, Budgeting, Budget Controls, Accounting, Valuation, Capital Investment Appraisals, Capital Budgeting, Financial Modeling, Corporate Governance, Business Planning, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Investments
2007 - 2016
- Acted as the intermediary between the management of several publicly-listed Dutch companies and their auditors, audit committees and tax authorities for financial statement and tax-related valuation approvals.
- Led numerous purchase price allocation assignments for clients in the telecom, industrial and consumer products, and eCommerce sectors including Veon, Heineken, Rocket Internet, and Akzo Nobel, reconciling financial projections with the purchase price; isolating buyer-specific synergies; and identifying intangible assets such as intellectual property, software, trademarks, and customer relationships. These tasks were accomplished by IAS 16 and included the preparation of an opening balance sheet.
- Contributed to the fairness opinion on the Ahold Delhaize merger, conducting market research, performing trading and transaction multiples analysis, identifying revenue and cost synergies, reviewing business plans, completing a study of net debt, preparing a discounted cash flow valuation and reviewing transaction documentation.
- Contributed to the legal and transaction documentation for the sale of 51% of Djezzy to the Algerian Government for $2.6 billion, creating a discounted cash flow valuation and net debt analysis, identifying intangible assets, and reviewing legal documentation.
- Created valuation models for common shares and share-based compensation and reviewed the materials for a Dutch pharmaceutical company's F-1 SEC filing.
- Advised the Trustee of a bankrupt Dutch bank on the investment versus divestment decision for a residential mortgage portfolio, performing market-based analysis of residential mortgage loan books, a review of Dutch housing market trends, creating a detailed cash flow model, and identifying potential buyers.
- Developed Rocket Internet's common share valuation methodology for their venture investments to comply with legal, tax and audit policies for share-based compensation.
- Evaluated corporate business units classifying companies based on their market share and growth potential and utilizing market research and financial analysis to create detailed ROIC and shareholder return forecasts and outlining investment and divestment strategies for clients.
- Supported the execution of financial due diligence projects for private equity and institutional investors including authoring reports, building three statement operating models, engaging in working capital analysis, identifying cash and debt-like items, creating normalized cash flow and EBITDA metrics, preparing post-closing balance sheets and determining cash leakage.
Focus areas: Leadership Development, Training & Training Content Development, Training, Coaching, DCF Valuation, Weighted Average Cost of Capital (WACC), Private Company Valuation, Comparable Company Analysis, Valuation Multiples, Compensation, Bankruptcy, Bank Covenants, Big 4 Accounting, IFRS 3, Net Debt Analysis, Business Planning, Three Statement Operating Model, Due Diligence, Intangible Asset Valuation, Purchase Price Allocation, Strategic Planning & Execution, Board Presentations, Board of Directors, Complex Transaction Agreements, Financial Modeling, Investments, Financial Asset Impairment Models, Valuation