Verified Expert in Finance
Ross is a former banker turned tech startup executive, experienced in business operations and advisory and operational finance. He started his career in investment banking, advising and supporting private equity investors in London and Sydney. He then moved to a tech startup, joining the two founders as their first employee and taking on the COO role. Most recently, he ran finance for a Sydney startup. Ross's background also includes freelance experience advising companies on finance matters.
Consumer Electronics Product with Subscription Launch
- Built financial models for valuation, raising debt, and internal forecasting for early-stage startups, scaleups, and established businesses to help founders and management teams make decisions, forecast performance, and plan fundraising.
- Advised companies on fundraising, including the best use of capital.
- Worked with management teams to improve forecasting through the use of financial models.
Chief Operating Officer (COO)
- Designed, built, and launched an Internet of Things (IoT) product with a software-as-a-service (SaaS) subscription from scratch.
- Grew the business to over £1 million in annual run rate sales and subscription revenue.
- Led a project to analyze and improve unit economics after the first year of trading, significantly improving margins and contributing to improved payback periods and the customer lifetime value to customer acquisition cost (LTV/CAC) ratio.
- Managed the due diligence process across three funding rounds for a total of £7 million investment.
- Built operational processes to fulfill thousands of customer orders, including a global supply chain of more than 300 components, third-party logistics for customer order fulfillment, and a field installation engineer network of national engineers.
- Implemented a business intelligence (BI) SQL tool and worked with functional team heads to measure what matters. Reduced customer returns by over 25% and resolution time for hardware change requests by 20%.
- Grew the team to 25 with a robust recruitment and onboarding process set-up for scaling. Improved employee net promoter score (NPS) to over 40.
- Implemented objectives and key results (OKRs) with 100% of the team reporting they understood and were aligned with Boundary's plans for future success.
Commonwealth Bank of Australia
- Managed over 20 transactions worth more than A$1 billion over three years with the bank.
- Provided debt to clients of the bank to finance acquisitions, primarily supporting private equity investors nationally across Australia. Worked on deals advising clients in mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and equity capital raising.
- Led a team of analysts and associates, ran the legal negotiation process with private equity investors and C-suite executives, and presented deals to senior bank management.
- Built, reviewed, and interrogated financial models, led the analysis and due diligence process, and prospected for new deals, including building pitch decks with investment ideas for clients.
- Built financial models for hotel and healthcare transactions in the UK.
- Conducted credit analysis on prospective borrowers and made recommendations to bank credit committees.
- Worked on the legal negotiations of debt term sheets and financing documentation.
Bachelor's Degree in Finance (First Class Honors)
University of Strathclyde - Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Associate Member of the Association of Corporate Treasurers (AMCT)
Association of Corporate Treasurers (ACT)
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring