Verified Expert in Finance
Management Consulting Expert
Surya has 15+ years of finance, strategy, and deal experience. Most recently, he helped spearhead corporate development and ventures for the consumer health and wellness unit at Advocate Aurora Health. He's also led corporate development, M&A transactions, and strategic planning at the Fortune 100 firms Ingram Micro and MGA Entertainment and performed $25+ billion of valuation advisory work at PwC. Freelancing allows Surya to provide critical analysis and guidance to corporate executives.
Director of Corporate Development and Ventures
Advocate Aurora Health
- Directed corporate development, ventures, and transaction process within the for-profit and innovation arm of a large mid-west healthcare company focused on wellness and consumer health and guided corporate leadership.
- Executed over $500 million in deal activity, including two acquisitions, a Series A minority investment, a Series B minority investment, a Series C minority investment, and other venture transactions.
- Built the unit's M&A and transaction playbook, best practices, and due diligence processes.
- Hired, trained, and led a team of three other Toptal finance experts and consultants whose efforts led to sourcing hundreds of potential target companies for M&A, investment, and strategic partnerships.
- Performed so highly, built goodwill with the company and team members, and exceeded expectations that the client decided to turn the role from a Toptal consultancy project into a full-time, fully employed opportunity.
- Sourced 175 companies as potential candidates for acquisitions, investments, joint ventures, and strategic partnerships.
Chief Financial Officer | Corporate Strategy Consultant
- Developed the three-statement financial model at an early-stage entertainment startup that connects movie lovers.
- Oversaw the investor relations functions and designed, prepared, and distributed marketing materials and fundraising documents to potential investors.
- Devised the preliminary revenue forecast for the various revenue streams outlined by the founder.
FP&A and Strategy Director
Asia TV USA, Ltd. (Zee Entertainment)
- Built single handedly the first pitch deck and business strategy presentation for the 5 senses content interaction media and entertainment ecosystem initiative and presented to the CEO.
- Streamlined the operational finance process by implementing a thorough and rigorous billing, invoicing and financial approval process for vendor proposals and payments, equipment and services purchases and new investment opportunities.
- Developed the fiscal year 2019-2020 P&L budgets for the Digital and Innovations business units and presented the detailed components of the budgets including revenue build and operating expenses to the CEO and international CFOs.
- Oversaw and co-directed a team of accountants and performed monthly, quarterly, and annual close for the 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 fiscal year financial results. Actively recommended and implemented cost cutting initiatives.
- Initiated a new discussion and analysis financial reporting review process for the Digital business that was conducted with the US executives and developed and submitted over 30 financial reporting packages to the India executive leadership team.
- Assessed and built the financial models for 5 new business venture and investment opportunities for the Digital business and prepared investment evaluation, analysis and recommendation memos for executive leadership.
Chief Financial Officer | Corporate Strategy Consultant
ComicBlitz (Acquired by Cinedigm in November 2018)
- Created a detailed business plan, rebuilt the three statement financial model, and prepared financial reporting packages for investors at a digital comics provider.
- Managed and coordinated a successful $87,000 crowdfunding campaign by creating investor materials, preparing forms for the SEC, determining the fundraising terms, and preparing the GAAP financial statements.
- Built the internal valuation model that was used as one of the primary inputs in the acquisition by Cinedigm and the final deal structure.
Manager, Corporate Development and Strategy
- Built and maintained comprehensive three-statement operating models and led the due diligence for two buy-side M&A transactions totaling $155 million. Earned recognition from the president and CFO for technical M&A expertise.
- Established best practices guide to enhance the M&A process, including identifying and evaluating potential targets, performing detailed valuation analysis, and conducting in-depth due diligence.
- Managed the budgets and led the FP&A process for the entertainment division as well as the Latin America region (around $20 million).
- Supervised the company pricing approval process, reviewing and analyzing $45 million in revenue from pricing requests using a sophisticated financial model. Advised the president and CFO on the selling prices to achieve the highest margins.
- Led reviews and performed detailed financial and strategic analyses for 10 business venture opportunities, including licensing and partnerships.
- Created and co-implemented the company's three-statement financial model and 5-year forecast for budgeting and forecasting purposes.
- Implemented a quarterly and annual competitor benchmarking review process which required developing detailed presentations for the executive committee.
- Created the company’s corporate overview and investor relations presentation.
Senior Manager, Corporate Development and Strategy
- Spearheaded a $50 million acquisition in Europe and a $10 million acquisition opportunity in the Middle East within the technology solutions business.
- Led a $35 million acquisition opportunity and a $10 million Series E investment opportunity within the cloud business.
- Played an instrumental role in the $45 million Armada acquisition in Turkey by performing financial due diligence, including analyzing revenue, gross margin, and vendor concentration, and then benchmarking against the company's Aptec business.
- Developed an approved business plan for a $75 million strategic initiative within the smart building and connected office space. Evaluated the market and created the financial model, and presented recommendations to senior executives.
- Built and introduced an internal comparable company and precedent M&A transactions Excel database for the corporate development team—providing business unit leaders with current valuation metrics and market intelligence.
- Supervised the initial stages of a divestiture—creating the teaser and management presentation and identifying and liaising with ten potential private equity buyers.
Vice President of Finance and Strategy
- Developed the business plan and financial forecast for an early stage media and entertainment startup that was focused on content aggregation and distribution for the emerging markets. Reported directly to the CEO and CFO.
- Researched the international content landscape with an emphasis on films and TV series programming, and identified market trends and critical drivers.
- Helped identify and evaluate five strategic partnership opportunities by devising detailed financial models and scenario analyses to determine the revenue and profitability potential.
Senior Associate, Transaction Services — Valuations Group
- Built the business valuation and purchase price allocation models, led the internal technical committee calls and served as project captain for Access Industries' $3.4 billion acquisition of Warner Music Group and Caesars Interactive Entertainment’s $86 million acquisition of Playtika.
- Provided portfolio valuation services to 14 private equity and venture capital clients. Prepared analyses and deliverables, coached the junior staff, ran technical committee calls, and delivered effective client service.
- Generated new revenue streams by helping acquire a new audit client and three new private equity clients.
- Performed a business and film library valuation and fair value of debt analysis by building comprehensive financial models for RHI Entertainment’s Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
- Co-authored a thought leadership paper for a PwC newsletter that addressed fair value measurement issues surrounding the allocation of the value of private equity firms’ holdings in portfolio companies. This paper was circulated to private equity clients and instructed them on the framework to adhere to when performing financial reporting valuations.
- Developed discounted cash flow (DCF), comparable company and precedent transaction analyses as well as patent valuation models as part of the purchase price allocation engagement for Google’s $12.4 billion acquisition of Motorola Mobility.
- Promoted within one year of hire to senior associate level.
Investment Banking Analyst
Legacy Partners Group
- Completed three $20-to-$40 million M&A and private placement transactions in the industrial and healthcare sectors.
- Produced valuation analyses utilizing public comparables, precedent transactions, leveraged buyout (LBO), discounted cash flow (DCF), and accretion dilution models for 11 M&A transactions.
- Performed comprehensive valuation analysis of NWH, an owner of a healthcare payer services organization, as part of a fairness opinion for the company’s sale to UnitedHealth Group, and assisted in drafting the presentation to NWH’s board of directors.
- Maintained precedent transaction and public company comparable models for the aerospace and defense as well as business services verticals.
Statistics Group Analyst, Investment Banking Division
Lazard Freres & Co.
- Utilized financial models to calculate precedent transaction multiples for hundreds of M&A deals for all industry groups and several international offices.
- Conducted due diligence on public and private companies in all industries using SEC filings, research reports, online services, and external databases.
- Provided analysts and associates with current M&A information for Lazard presentations by compiling league and volume value tables.
Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Finance
University of California, Irvine | The Paul Merage School of Business - Irvine, CA, USA
Master's Degree in Economics
New York University - New York, NY, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Economics
Cornell University - Ithaca, NY, USA