Verified Expert in Finance
Management Consulting Expert
Tim is a senior financial expert with extensive experience including BlackRock, Barclays, and E&Y. He's ACA certified with an exemplary record of delivering challenging, complex projects and addressing a company's biggest issues at the board level. His projects include establishing a pricing function valuing $7 trillion of assets, corporate finance activities, regulatory remediations, fund accounting, and system migrations. Tim now freelances to share his expertise with a wider audience.
Build of a Global Pricing Committee at BlackRock and BGI
Fund Accountant Migrations and Enhancements Undertaken at Barclays Global Investors and BlackRock
- Acted as the financial controller of a high-profile sports-based fintech company, transforming the finance function and resolving major operational, compliance, accounting, and tax issues.
- Involved in managing debt raised from VCs and government funding, plus communicating directly with the VC on financial performance and forecasts. The VC rated the quality of the firm's financial set up as 2/10 before I joined and 7/10 afterward.
- Resolved some major potential issues with taxation, VAT, and US compliance, avoiding potential fines and the need to pay external firms to resolve.
TP Dudley Consulting
- Advised startup companies regarding product development, financial planning, and funding sources which have helped them avoid several nonviable routes of business and financing and helped them target where best to seek capital from.
- Provided ad hoc consultancy for the asset management industry, helping hedge funds and private equity firms better understand various aspects of operations and fund accounting for asset managers.
- Performed local voluntary charity work to help vulnerable people through the COVID-19 crisis regarding supplies, medical care, and transport for vaccinations.
Managing Director, Operations & Product Control
- Established and developed the global pricing committee for seven years, responsible for the pricing and valuation of $6 trillion in assets. Managed it through market turmoil including the China crisis and ongoing impacts of the sub-prime crisis.
- Established and ran a global team responsible for regulatory reporting, including MIIFD, AIFMD, FATCA, and Form ADV. Improved the reporting of major shareholdings which was one of the biggest priorities at the board level, reducing errors by 97%.
- Reorganized and enhanced the analytics team of over 30 which was responsible for providing all positions, pricing, and analytics for approximately $2 trillion of assets—which significantly improved the service for all asset classes.
- Addressed the critical differences between the fund administrator accounting versus BLKs Aladdin, involving the extensive analysis and system enhancements. It had been one of the biggest global issues for the business, which was resolved on time.
- Served as the middle office lead on the migration of BLK fund ranges between three different major fund accountants, involving significant build and enhancements of fund accountant analytics—achieved with no material impact in fund valuations.
- Drove a project to control the migration of BLK Irish fund ranges administered by a major fund accountant to their new technology platform—achieved it with no material impact in fund valuations.
Head of Global Product Control
Barclays Global Investors
- Took over the operational control of all of BGI's global derivatives, which were in a critically bad state. Enhanced pricing, documentation, and operational end to end for derivatives to achieve strong control; it praised by board-level management.
- Established and ran the Global Pricing Committee, responsible for $2 trillion of assets across all asset classes. Received praise from the portfolio managers in establishing a market-leading pricing regime and handling the Lehman & subprime crises.
- Took over a major project to migrate the pricing, accounting, and position management of BGI's derivatives between Aladdin and Calypso. Turned around the project from being over-spending and under-delivering to achieving all objectives.
- Devised, established, and ran the Global New Instrument Committee. It was responsible for ensuring that all new complex instruments (CDOs, derivatives, ABSs, etc.) could be handled front-to-back by BGI. It became a very successful, critical function.
Middle Office Head of Fixed Income
Bank of America
- Established the valuation function for Bank of America's (BofA) derivatives and structured assets, covering billions of dollars worth of complex hard-to-value assets, including tranched CDOs and ABSs.
- Established and ran the middle office for BofA EMEA, covering all fixed income products; after establishing the middle office, the front office's satisfaction was significantly raised.
- Built-up the balance sheet control unit for EMEA fixed income, obtaining accounting discipline and accuracy for a wide set of complex businesses.
- Managed and was in charge of explaining BofA's CDO business to the US regulators (OCC and the fed), who had become concerned by the complexity and rising scale of the business. Their detailed review by 20 regulators was concluded satisfactorily.
- Handled the impact of defaults of Enron, Marconi, Parmalat, and others on BofA's book of derivatives and bonds. These were carried out very successfully. Personally handled getting the last $10 million of cash from Enron for BofA's collateral.
- Served as the chief accountant for evolving Hiscox from a private Lloyd's managing agent to a listed company. This involved several steps including restructuring, tax reorganisation, syndicate funding and due diligence. These steps were all very successful.
- Set up three foreign subsidiaries for Hiscox including satisfying local accounting regimes, providing business plans, and obtaining regulatory approval.
- Worked as the main accountant and was involved in analyzing, assessing then implementing and integrating the acquisition of a large licensed insurance company. This company is now responsible for all of its retail business in the UK.
- Audited several large corporations in the insurance, financial data, entertainment, DIY, and oil industries. Ran audits of medium-sized companies on time and budget. Discovered a major accounting error and avoided a potential liability for E&Y.
- Performed a major, deep-dive review into the collapse of the Gooda Walker insurance syndicates. Created models of their very complex layered reinsurance policies. Detected fraud and discovered several millions of unused reinsurance protection.
- Carried out operational work for the insolvency of the Coloroll set of businesses. This insolvency was carried out successfully, most of its businesses are still operating today.
- Qualified as a chartered accountant (ACA) using intensive training courses.
Bachelor's Degree (Honors) in Geography
Oxford University - Oxford, UK
Bank of America
ACA Association of Chartered Accountants
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring