Verified Expert in Finance
William is a seasoned entrepreneurial executive, having co-founded the UK's largest student lifestyle business, growing it by £2.5 million in turnover straight after university. He has structured £200+ million of transactions and advised startups on internationalization. His latest venture Delic, a music tech platform, has onboarded 1,450 users, raised £700,000+ in VC, and is CreaTech 2021 Ones-to-Watch listed. William joined Toptal to support entrepreneurs with financing and growth strategies.
Pitch Deck for a £1.5 Million Seed Funding Round
Business Plan for Raising Pre-seed Funding
- Supported the founder in developing the prototype and built a team of 12 across product development and marketing.
- Raised over £700,000 in VC from three UK and one US VC firms.
- Led investor outreach campaigns over three rounds and managed the preparation of data rooms and term sheet negotiations.
- Brought in a highly experienced CEO and co-founder, the former head of technology at the BBC, who has provided invaluable product innovation and credibility in the market.
- Managed overall commercial strategy and execution, including securing multiple strategic partnerships with various industry bodies and key stakeholders.
- Oversaw the marketing function, driving over 1,450 beta users.
House of Monir Ltd
- Supported the CEO with the conceptualization of edtech, co-hort learning modules for fashion professionals.
- Advised the CEO with a team-building strategy, including the removal of a challenging consultant that was not the right fit for the brand or business.
- Developed a B2B pitch deck and built an extensive pipeline of new brands to target via personal networks. Supported the business in achieving 85% year-on-year growth.
Hunter Hayes Ltd
- Structured a complex €20 million acquisition finance to acquire a CEE marina and brownfield development site on the Adriatic coast, involving a Southeast Asian multi-family office, regional banks, and professional and technical services providers.
- Launched prototypes and raised $2 million in funding after conducting business planning workshops for a Middle Eastern clean tech spinout that was part of a regional manufacturing conglomerate, backed by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
- Secured a multi-territory sales channel for a UK fintech client with a Latin American electronic invoicing platform, increasing sales in the region by over 600%.
Business Development and Partnerships
- Secured a multi-territory sales channel with a Latin American electronic invoicing platform, increasing sales in the region by over 600%.
- Acted as a relationship manager to key customers, increasing usage by 150% and referrals by 75% across a key vertical.
- Built an extensive customer pipeline across private equity and family office clients.
Business Development Manager
- Served as an experience startup operator to help turnaround a struggling retail operation and expand its consumer goods division.
- Developed the business strategy and brand from the Hong Kong HQ with senior management.
- Generated £2.5 million in annual savings by cutting back on operational overheads, including leases and staff costs.
- Drove 300% of year-on-year sales by developing the retail business within the company's store operation, A.S. Watson Group, Marionnaud, and other channels across Europe.
Sales and Marketing Manager
- Assisted in turning the business around by driving short-term rental revenue to support its recovery amidst corporate account holder collapse post-economic crisis, with its stock reduced from 300 to 100 units.
- Developed the sales and marketing department, personally closing 120 sales and generating £60,000 in monthly short-term rental revenue.
- Increased hotel occupancy from 25% to 85% in three months through event marketing.
Co-founder and Operations Director
Absolute Events (UK) Limited
- Signed contracts with high-profile event venues and developed teams to run regular events in Scotland and Northern Ireland, then joined the business as a co-founder to play a central role in managing business operations.
- Managed regional staff in seven cities across the UK, coordinating up to 18 weekly events, managing cash flow, and developing new business.
- Generated £2.5 million of turnover and 90% year-on-year growth.
- Developed the business plan, raising £250,000 from angel investors to expand the company's service offering into post-graduation lifestyle services.
Bachelor's Degree in History and Philosophy
Newcastle University - Newcastle, England
Startupbootcamp FinTech London