Managing Director2011 - PRESENTZelta Capital Partners
Focus areas: Project Finance, Finance Strategy, Financial Advisory, Corporate Finance, Investments, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A)
- Bridged Asian and Middle East capital and energy needs with North American and European opportunities and provided clients (upstream, midstream, oilfield services, real estate, mining, fintech, technology, and power generation) with corporate finance services in the following areas: M&A advisory, strategic advisory, and equity and debt private placements.
- Provided strategic advice on M&A transactions and negotiations with international joint venture partners, including the $225 million USD equity sale by two sovereign funds from Oman of China Gas Holdings, a Hong Kong-listed natural gas infrastructure company and $12 million CAD investment by American investors into a Canadian gold mine joint venture.
- Provided financial analysis and valuation services to clients, including the valuation of a Latvian biomass combined heat and power project for Canadian and Asian investors ($30 million USD in value).
- Provided expert valuation analysis in arbitration cases, including TransAtlantic Petroleum's arbitration case with the Albanian government ($80-100 million USD in value).
- Provided strategic advice to a senior oil and gas producer in its negotiations with Asian joint venture partners on its $10 billion USD liquefied natural gas (LNG) project.
- Successfully marketed a $1 billion USD integrated Canadian LNG opportunity to a consortium of Asian joint venture partners.
- Provided advice and sourced an investor for an Australian tin mining company and successfully completed a $3 million AUD joint venture with a North American investor with an option for a further $22 million AUD investment in 2019.
- Identified and negotiated the purchase of an LNG site on the west coast of Canada for $8.6 million for an upstream oil and gas client.
Head of Evaluations2008 - 2011Oman Oil Company
Focus areas: Financial Modeling, International Finance, Investments, Project Evaluation, Project Finance, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A)
- Managed a dormant (for three years) joint venture with China Gas Holdings and re-established the business relationship between Oman Oil and China Gas. Completed the due diligence, negotiation, and structuring of Oman Oil’s $131.5 million equity investment into the Chinese joint venture in the LPG importation, storage, and distribution industry. Received Oman Oil board approval eleven months after taking over the project and managed a deal team of five internal and fifteen external professionals (Vinson & Elkins, PWC, E&Y and Worley Parsons) throughout the deal process.
- Developed a standardized evaluation and gated decision-making process for new investment opportunities for the business development group (mining and metals, power and infrastructure, refining and petrochemicals).
- Developed the company's analyst training and mentoring program for the professional development of senior and junior Omani analysts.
- Originated international investment opportunities in the power and infrastructure sectors.
- Managed a $1.2 billion portfolio of investments within the power, infrastructure, and shipping investments of Oman Oil, totaling 12 private and public investments.
- Established new business alliances and partnerships for joint ventures and co-investing opportunities with major private equity firms, strategic operating companies, and other sovereign wealth funds within the infrastructure and power sectors.
- Evaluated, negotiated, structured, and recommended new investment opportunities within the power and infrastructure sectors.
- Provided analysis and advised on negotiating Oman Oil's $125 million project financing ($1.2 billion project value) for the building of an iron ore pelletizing plant in Oman, with Vale, which added to the diversification of Oman’s manufacturing sector.
- Managed and executed the evaluation and due diligence of Oman Oil’s $217 million purchase of a 5% equity stake in Enagas, a publicly listed Spanish natural gas transmission company. The investment had an IRR of 18% over its initial 5-year holding period, an average dividend yield of 7% and was sold in May 2015 at a 100% capital gain.
Commercial Manager - International Business Development2004 - 2008Nexen
Focus areas: Business Planning, Financial Statements, Asset Valuation, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A)
- Identified, evaluated, and recommended potential corporate and asset acquisitions in upstream oil and gas sectors outside of North America.
- Developed new country entry business plans which required extensive research and development, including identification of business partners, structure, and competitor analysis.
- Participated in over $4 billion of executed M&A transactions, including Nexen's $2.1 billion purchase of EnCana's Buzzard field in the North Sea of United Kingdom.
- Provided detailed analysis and recommendations to the CEO and CFO on the strategic disposition of $1.5 billion of oil and gas properties in Canada.
- Provided detailed analysis of the options surrounding the IPO of Nexen's chemical division ($300 million equity issue, $1 billion in valuation) in the Canadian versus US capital markets.
Senior Financial Analyst2003 - 2004AltaGas
Focus areas: Investments, Financial Modeling, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A)
- Provided comprehensive financial, economic, and accounting assessments and contributed to the design of the commercial, financial, and tax aspects of corporate and major asset projects and transactions.
- Provided detailed analysis, valuation, and due diligence services on AltaGas's $46 million acquisition of a natural gas straddle plant, which expanded AltaGas’s operations into a new sector.
Associate1999 - 2003Charlton Capital
Focus areas: Equity Research, Fundraising, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A)
- Provided advice on mergers and acquisitions, asset divestitures, corporate restructuring, going private transactions, private placements, takeover defenses, and management buyouts for public and private companies.
- Provided analysis and deal support on BP Canada's disposition of its oil business unit for $1.6 billion.
- Advised an upstream oil and gas company on its strategic alternatives process. Successfully sourced and negotiated the $39 million joint venture investment by a group of pension funds into the company's natural gas assets.
Financial Analyst1997 - 1999Merrill Lynch Canada
Focus areas: Debt Raises, Equity Offerings, Equity Valuation, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A)
- Assisted on the execution of a variety of capital market transactions (M&A, equity, and debt financings) through extensive valuations, financial modeling, and pricing of equity and debt placements.
- Served as a member of the deal team that successfully defended a hostile takeover attempt in the retail sector. The effort was recognized in the industry as the first "Nancy Reagan" takeover defense in Canada.
Financial Analyst1996 - 1997Sprott Securities
Focus areas: Equity Research, Fundraising, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A)
- Analyzed, wrote, and published research reports on junior oil and gas companies and provided valuation and modeling support to the oil and gas research analysts.
- Provided senior corporate finance bankers with valuations and modeling of companies for M&A advisory work and assisted the bankers in the execution of a variety of capital market transactions.
- Completed fairness opinions on M&A transactions and reporting letters required by the stock exchange for an oilfield services IPO.
Financial Analyst1995 - 1995Amoco Canada
Focus areas: Valuation Analysis, Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A)
- Supported Amoco Canada’s Major Deals Group in its mandate to analyze and recommend material asset and corporate acquisitions.
- Completed financial modeling and analysis of competitors and potential acquisition targets.
- Participated in Amoco Canada's $1.6 billion hostile takeover bid of another oil and gas company by providing analytical support to the valuation of various properties and pipeline assets.