Product Strategist and Advisor2017 - PRESENTMena Energy Ventures, Intelligent B
- Managed and helped build a consumer on-demand tech startup, Cafu, that deals in mobile fuel delivery in Dubai, UAE.
- Participated in drafting role specifications and interviewing and hiring the team.
- Developed functional requirements for the service.
- Examined and detailed similar services in other markets.
- Designed the tech architecture, researched and recommended a platform and development path.
- Developed technical partnerships and negotiated licenses for various services.
- Participated in finance, operational design, marketing, and overall execution.
Senior Advisor2017 - 2018McKinsey & Company
- Helped design a program to bring McKinsey's capabilities in big data, advanced analytics, artificial intelligence (AI), and machine learning (ML) and applied it to social good causes.
- Recommended strategic initiatives and keystone projects to kick-off the program.
- Researched the horrifying world of human trafficking and delved into effective ways to combat it using artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML).
- Interviewed nonprofits to understand their data and how they measure their impact and outcomes; also proposed potential projects to nonprofits.
- Collaborated with AI/ML companies who have working solutions and looked at how to apply them in the not-for-profit space.
Vice President, Strategy and Advanced Development2016 - 2017VMware
- Set product direction and new business strategy for mobility; this included prototyping and developing new end-user computing (EUC) solutions.
- Evaluated new business opportunities including partnerships, investments, and acquisitions; completed all due diligence required for VMware to successfully move forward.
- Collaborated with local academic and startup communities to surface interesting developments and discover alignments.
- Guided go-forward partnerships and sparked the imagination of core engineers, sharing opportunities on various platforms.
- Oversaw the development of leading-edge prototypes in areas such as voice-to-text, artificial intelligence agents for email search, Android virtualization on Intel systems, Microsoft Hololens, and ARM-based security enclaves.
Senior Director, Product Management and Strategy2011 - 2016VMware
- Took on leadership, evaluation, and acquisition responsibilities of AirWatch, the leader in enterprise mobility management; this was VMware’s largest acquisition, valued at $1.54 billion and included 2,000+ employees.
- Integrated AirWatch's company, people, products, and processes into VMware, ensuring a successful and seamless transition.
- Investigated new growth areas for VMware and AirWatch (such as IoT and M2M); this involved research, development, and a presentation of an internet-of-things (IoT) strategic plan for executive management.
- Established a strategy to enter mobile application development and management markets.
- Researched approaches, developed plans, evangelized and vetted options, evaluated potential partnerships, recommended acquisition targets, and initiated organic product development efforts.
- Launching the Horizon platform, ensuring availability on a broad set of mobile devices; the solution provided secure end-user access to applications and data on desktops, laptops, phones, and tablets.
- Led a team of product managers to deliver Horizon Workspace, mobile, and identity solutions.
- Defined and delivered multiple releases of an enterprise-grade application access and data management platform.
- Managed the Horizon Mobile (Android virtualization) product through its full lifecycle; including device OEM and carrier partnerships.
Vice President, Products2009 - 2011Aptana
- Along with the CEO, defined the company’s strategy and collaborated with investors to facilitate the acquisition by Appcelerator.
- Revised the product direction and roadmap for Aptana Studio, the leading open source integrated development environment (IDE) for the web.
- Increasing downloads by 50% and grew monthly active user base by 150%.
- Measured and implemented new monetization approaches (ads, service referrals, etc.) and established partnerships with key developer-oriented service providers.
- Played a key role in transitioning and integrating product and team into Appcelerator.
Senior Director, Product Management2008 - 2009AdMob
- Built roadmaps and product specifications for a variety of publisher, advertiser, and network infrastructure projects including analytics, user demographics, device profiling, targeting, third-party network integration, local advertising, conversion analytics, and network quality.
- Designed AdMob's mobile OS platform strategy covering iPhone, Android, RIM/Blackberry, Palm WebOS, Symbian OS, Windows Mobile, Java, and Flash.
- Delivered multiple iterations of analytics dashboards and publishing API solutions, and ensured successful integration of third-party solutions into the AdMob platform.
Senior Director, Product Management2006 - 2008Mozilla Corporation
- Defined, delivered, and managed the Firefox developer ecosystem including Firefox add-ons, the Addons.mozilla.org website, and overall developer strategy.
- Initiated and launched bundling and distribution channels for co-branded and customized Firefox releases with Google, Yahoo!, Kodak, eBay, and many others.
- Led the product requirements and design phases of Firefox upon establishing a simplified data collection and requirements gathering process.
- Launched the first generation of Mozilla Labs, a showcase for experimentation and innovation from the Mozilla community.
Senior Director, Travel Products2005 - 2006Yahoo!
- Defined the business and product strategy for Yahoo! Travel properties: Travel Guides (travel search product), FareChase (comparison travel search engine), and Trip Planner.
- Led a team of 12 PMs to define and deliver multiple travel-related product releases.
- Increased traffic by 50% and revenue by 100% to Yahoo! Travel Guides through deep integration with the Yahoo! main site search and new monetization initiatives.
- Instituted Scrum as an Agile development methodology; revised product development processes to increase collaboration amongst engineers, user experience designers, and product managers.
Co-founder | Senior Director, Products2000 - 2003CenterRun
- Co-founded and built CenterRun based on an idea of a market-defining product for data center automation.
- Worked with lighthouse customers to define and design early prototypes.
- Served as product owner for all versions of CenterRun, 1.0 to 4.0.
- Raised funds from Sequoia Capital in one of the most challenging fundraising environments.
- Hired a team (45), built the product, and gained customers (15).
- Played a key role in selling the company to Sun Microsystems in August 2003, becoming part of the N1 data center automation initiative.
- Supported the acquisition by integrating CenterRun employees into Sun’s culture.
- Presented the product at company public events and integrated CenterRun products into Sun Microsystems’ Data Center Automation roadmap; trained Sun’s personnel to ensure a seamless integration.
Director, Product Management1996 - 2000AOL & Netscape
- Led a team of eight product managers to define and ship personalization infrastructure services for the My Netscape, My AOL.com, and My AOL properties.
- Built and managed massively scalable services for AOL sites, which saw membership in the millions of users, personalized daily pageviews of 10 million+, and an increase of time online.
- Managed the Netscape web server business and helped grow product line to $40 million/year across four channels (direct, VAR/SI, OEM, and web sales).
- Coordinated a team of product managers through two major product release cycles from requirements planning to launch.
- Contributed to Netscape Enterprise Server consistently coming first in competitive web server reviews.