Vice President, Product Development2019 - 2021Yotascale
- Led and built the engineering and product organization for this company focused on cloud cost management. Helped the company grow revenue by winning new customers and retaining/expanding within the existing base.
- Tuned the company’s product strategy and direction and found the product/market fit. Helped raise Series B financing and participated in hiring all key management.
- Led the existing team, which included a remote team in Pakistan, and hired a distributed team in the US.
- Implemented new best practices in engineering, stabilized the production environment, and spearheaded a next-generation platform's design, architecture, and delivery. Managed the first patent filing.
- Worked on all aspects and phases of product development (except coding), including customer discovery, vision, roadmaps, features definition, UX designs, arch and design reviews, project management, bug bashing, legal, operations, support, etc.
- Managed external contractors, cloud services, developer tools, licensed various technologies and complex SaaS solutions and streamlined all IT for the company.
Senior Advisor2017 - 2018McKinsey & Company
- Helped design a program to bring McKinsey's capabilities in big data, advanced analytics, artificial intelligence (AI), and machine learning (ML) and applied it to social good causes.
- Recommended strategic initiatives and keystone projects to kick-off the program.
- Researched the world of human trafficking and delved into effective ways to combat it, using artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML).
- Interviewed nonprofits to understand their data and how they measure their impact and outcomes; also proposed potential projects to nonprofits.
- Collaborated with AI/ML companies who have working solutions and looked at how to apply them in the not-for-profit space.
Product Strategist and Advisor2017 - 2018Mena Energy Ventures, Intelligent B
- Managed and helped build a consumer on-demand tech startup, Cafu, that deals in mobile fuel delivery in Dubai, UAE. Advised on the creation of Urban.
- Participated in drafting role specifications, interviewing, and hiring the team.
- Developed functional requirements for the service.
- Examined and detailed similar services in other markets.
- Designed the tech architecture, researched, and recommended a platform and development path.
- Developed technical partnerships and negotiated licenses for various services.
- Participated in finance, operational design, marketing, and overall execution.
Vice President, Strategy, and Advanced Development2016 - 2017VMware
- Set product direction and new business strategy for mobility; this included prototyping and developing new end-user computing (EUC) solutions.
- Evaluated new business opportunities, including partnerships, investments, and acquisitions; completed all due diligence required for VMware to successfully move forward.
- Collaborated with local academic and startup communities to surface interesting developments and discover alignments.
- Guided go-forward partnerships and sparked the imagination of core engineers, sharing opportunities on various platforms.
- Oversaw the development of leading-edge prototypes in voice-to-text, artificial intelligence agents for email search, Android virtualization on Intel systems, Microsoft Hololens, ARM-based security enclaves, etc.
Senior Director, Product Management, and Strategy2011 - 2016VMware
- Took on leadership, evaluation, and acquisition responsibilities of AirWatch, the leader in enterprise mobility management; this was VMware’s largest acquisition, valued at $1.54 billion and included 2,000+ employees.
- Integrated AirWatch's company, people, products, and processes into VMware, ensuring a successful and seamless transition.
- Investigated new growth areas for VMware and AirWatch (such as IoT and M2M); this involved research, development, and a presentation of an internet-of-things (IoT) strategic plan for executive management.
- Established a strategy to enter mobile application development and management markets.
- Researched approaches, developed plans, evangelized and vetted options, evaluated potential partnerships, recommended acquisition targets, and initiated organic product development efforts.
- Launching the Horizon platform, ensuring availability on a broad set of mobile devices; the solution provided secure end-user access to applications and data on desktops, laptops, phones, and tablets.
- Led a team of product managers to deliver Horizon Workspace, mobile, and identity solutions.
- Defined and delivered multiple releases of an enterprise-grade application access and data management platform.
- Managed the Horizon Mobile (Android virtualization) product through its full lifecycle, including device OEM and carrier partnerships.
Vice President, Products2009 - 2011Aptana
- Defined the company’s strategy and collaborated with investors to facilitate the acquisition by Appcelerator (now: Axway) in collaboration with the CEO.
- Revised the product direction and roadmap for Aptana Studio, the leading open-source, integrated development environment (IDE) for the web.
- Grew the monthly active user base by 150% and increased downloads by 50%.
- Measured and implemented new monetization approaches (ads, service referrals, etc.) and established partnerships with key developer-oriented service providers.
- Played a key role in transitioning and integrating the product and team into Appcelerator.
Senior Director, Product Management2008 - 2009AdMob
- Built roadmaps and product specs for publisher, advertiser, and network infrastructure projects, such as analytics, user demographics, device profiling, targeting, third-party network integration, local advertising, conversion, and network quality.
- Designed AdMob's mobile OS platform strategy, covering iPhone, Android, RIM/Blackberry, Palm WebOS, Symbian OS, Windows Mobile, Java, and Flash.
- Delivered multiple iterations of analytics dashboards and publishing API solutions and ensured successful integration of third-party solutions into the AdMob platform.
Senior Director, Product Management2006 - 2008Mozilla Corporation
- Defined, delivered, and managed the Firefox developer ecosystem, including Firefox add-ons, the Addons.mozilla.org website, and overall developer strategy.
- Initiated and launched bundling and distribution channels for co-branded and customized Firefox release with Google, Yahoo!, Kodak, eBay, and many others.
- Led the product requirements and design phases of Firefox upon establishing a simplified data collection and requirements gathering process.
- Launched the first generation of Mozilla Labs, a showcase for experimentation and innovation from the Mozilla community.
Senior Director, Travel Products2005 - 2006Yahoo!
- Defined the business and product strategy for Yahoo! Travel properties: Travel Guides (travel search product), FareChase (comparison travel search engine), and Trip Planner.
- Led a team of 12 PMs to define and deliver multiple travel-related product releases.
- Increased traffic by 50% and revenue by 100% for Yahoo! Travel Guides through deep integration with Yahoo!, the main site search, and new monetization initiatives.
- Instituted Scrum as an Agile development methodology; revised product development processes to increase collaboration amongst engineers, user experience designers, and product managers.
Co-founder | Senior Director, Products2000 - 2003CenterRun
- Co-founded and built CenterRun based on an idea of a market-defining product for data center automation.
- Worked with lighthouse customers to define and design early prototypes.
- Served as product owner for all versions of CenterRun, 1.0 to 4.0.
- Raised funds from Sequoia Capital in one of the most challenging fundraising environments.
- Hired a team (45), built the product, and acquired customers (15).
- Played a key role in selling the company to Sun Microsystems in August 2003, becoming part of the N1 data center automation initiative. (Later product was transitioned to Oracle when Sun was acquired.).
- Supported the acquisition by integrating CenterRun employees into Sun’s culture.
- Presented the product at company public events and integrated CenterRun products into Sun Microsystems’ Data Center Automation roadmap; trained Sun’s personnel to ensure seamless integration.
Director, Product Management1996 - 2000AOL and Netscape
- Led a team of eight product managers to define and ship personalization infrastructure services for the My Netscape, My AOL.com, and My AOL properties.
- Built and managed massively scalable services for AOL sites, which saw membership in the millions of users, personalized daily pageviews of 10 million+, and increased time online.
- Managed the Netscape web server business and helped grow product line to $40 million/year across four channels (direct, VAR/SI, OEM, and web sales).
- Coordinated a team of product managers through two major product release cycles from requirements planning to launch.
- Contributed to Netscape Enterprise Server consistently coming first in competitive web server reviews.