Verified Expert in Product Management
Carson is a seasoned product manager with 6+ years of experience designing data-intensive solutions. He developed a broad range of products, from early warning systems to high-throughput data architectures and software-as-a-service cloud components. Carson is a strategic thinker, passionate about helping businesses scale through data-driven design and automation, who has made outstanding contributions to both Fortune 500 companies and hypergrowth tech unicorns.
Diamond Merckens Hogan, Inc
- Worked with management to coordinate a group of three developers to rebuild a website for a multimillion construction company.
- Developed and implemented a QA plan to ensure that we deliver a segment of the website in each sprint that addresses our end customer's business needs based on the target audience, user personas, and user journey.
- Led the development team to adapt Agile software development best practices. Developed backlog, a triage process, and ran as Scrum Master.
Senior Data Analyst
- Acted as a product manager to design and deliver a high-performance serverless database for business intelligence dashboarding, data analysis, and machine learning.
- Upgraded the company's flagship transaction monitoring product to enable financial recordkeeping and meet anti-money laundering (AML) regulations.
- Developed the roadmap for a fraud detection model to iteratively test and optimize rule sets based on customer traffic.
Senior Data Analyst
- Acted as project manager for the analytics team to deliver long-term projects in behavior analytics, anomaly detection, and database modeling for ETL.
- Upgraded fraud detection and biometric models to classify primary, secondary, and unknown users.
- Designed and implemented a system to automate data processing and business decision making.
Technical Product Analyst
- Designed and delivered a real-time alerting system to detect anomalies and degradation in platform performance.
- Acted as a product manager and product owner to ensure and monitor system availability and performance.
- Oversaw and developed a data standardization layer in the company's API.
- Designed analytic systems back end to author and automate tasks, such as data analytics, modeling, and ETLs.
- Spearheaded POCs for various mobile, business, banking, and online risk intelligence products.
- Designed and implemented a system to detect insider trading activities across all APAC entities.
- Mitigated the internal audit risk by actively analyzing the compliance project roadmap for regulatory gaps.
- Modernized compliance controls via process reengineering.
Early Warning System
Designed and implemented an early warning system to detect performance degradation.
In response, I spearheaded the design, development, and maintenance of an early warning system that proactively scans all data vendors and key clients for disruption in the company's flagship products. The system immediately notifies the customer success, engineering, and management teams with a call to action if anomalies are detected. By automatically switching affected data sources to backup data vendors, this system prevented disruptions and minimized the impact on customers. This system made our team proactive instead of reactive, which was pivotal in securing larger customer contracts and expansion.
High-performance Analytics Database
Designed and coordinated data engineers and data scientists to deliver a high-performance database that enabled business intelligence dashboarding, advanced data-driven features, automation, and machine learning.
I designed the architecture for a high-performance, serverless database that seamlessly integrated with the existing AWS components. Because the database was serverless, it was also extremely low cost. With this database, we developed ETL pipelines for further data refinement, which enabled business intelligence dashboarding and improved data quality above the threshold for predictive modeling.
Another business-critical feature that relied on the database was the anti-money laundering incident recordkeeping, which provided metanalysis and quick fetching of customers' potential fraud incidents and enabled statistics to be reported upstream to regulatory bodies.
Predictive Behavior Analytics
Designed several upgrades for Mastercard's biometric model to enable classification of primary, secondary, and unknown user behaviors.
I worked with data science and data engineering to develop a new rule set that allowed the model to recognize and segment traffic into primary, secondary, and unknown user behaviors within one account. This reduced false-positive rates in many of the company's key accounts, sometimes upward to 12%. It was eventually adopted into a primary fraud detection method in its eCommerce marketplace clients.
Bachelor's Degree in Mathematics
The University of British Columbia - Vancouver, BC, Canada
AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner
Georgia Tech, via Coursera
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring