Janne J. Korhonen
Verified Expert in Product Management
Janne is an independent consultant, coach, and advisor with 20+ years of versatile consulting experience in strategic, enterprise-scale, mission-critical, and international IT projects in various industries. Janne's specialties include organizational design and development, enterprise architecture, strategy, leadership, digital strategy, and digital service business.
Freelance Product Manager
- Analyzed and developed a B2B SaaS startup's technical setup for virtual innovation workshops. Helped shape the strategy and outline the roadmap. Analyzed and coached team dynamics.
- Assessed the existing functionality, scope, wireframes, and plans; oversaw the prototype development.
- Conducted in-depth research to identify pertinent reference taxonomies and datasets, and created a metamodel for a revised proprietary taxonomy and populated it with relevant data.
- Co-delivered an ideation workshop to empathize with the stakeholders’ pain points and to identify prospective customers and use cases for a new technology.
- Analyzed the competition, discovered customers, and defined the product vision, value proposition, business model, and product-market fit; outlined a product roadmap, made business case calculations, identified team needs, and designed a user study.
Edisto, Ltd. (Self-employed)
- Analyzed requirements and outlined solution architecture alternatives of data warehousing, business intelligence, and data analytics solutions. Advised on the development of strategic capabilities and information governance.
- Provided technology advisory services, cloud solution architecture, service design, Agile coaching, and business development to a SaaS startup pertaining to the financial and administrative back end of SMEs.
- Served as interim CTO for a travel tech startup. Managed a PWA-based app solution, cloud infrastructure, Agile software development, and CI/CD DevOps processes.
- Engaged in business development and sales at a solar energy solutions and sales company. Innovated and developed digital business models and services. Deployed and configured an ERP/CRM system.
- Worked as an organizational architect at an IT infrastructure wholesaler. Helped define the organization's growth strategy and uncover its identity.
- Served as an advisor for an electric boat manufacturer. Counseled the company and the CEO on business models, market segmentation, sales set up, product packaging, marketing, and business development.
- Led technical workshops, identified and mapped functional and technical requirements, and guided the implementation of a cloud-based SaaS Product Information Management system to replace several Legacy databases.
- Developed an integration plan to replace the source system for statistical reporting to ensure seamless continuity of the statistics function. Coordinated four software development teams in the 1 Me+ design and development of the solution.
- Coordinated a process analysis and modeling project to uncover and visualize EU democratic decision-making and legislative processes.
- Mentored a large industrial manufacturer in their enterprise architecture practice and the application of EA methods and tools in an IT landscape transformation program.
- Coordinated and analyzed the as-is situation, solution alternatives, and design of the to-be procurement systems and processes for a government agency. Specified functional and non-functional requirements for the procurement solution.
- Analyzed the as-is situation of strategy, organization, business functions, and IT landscape. Developed the functional reference architecture and designed the target enterprise architecture for a high-growth packaging manufacturer.
- Led a task force to develop organizational ways of working: recruitment strategy and priorities, required skills, training and development approach, individual growth paths, and workforce well-being.
Requisite Remedy (Self-employed)
- Built the strategic target architecture for the business; conducted business case calculations, requirements analysis, solution design, master data analysis, process, and information system mapping.
- Developed the enterprise integration and SOA strategy, integration architecture, requirements analysis, service and integration specifications, information modeling, and information governance model.
- Analyzed and designed BSS and OSS integrations; re-engineered provisioning processes and functional and technical designs; and handled ITIL change, incident, and problem management.
- Designed and deployed an SOA governance framework: roles and responsibilities, principles, policies and practices; SOA funding model, information modeling guidelines, and master data management practices.
- Performed succession planning, capability, and competence assessment of five director candidates; provided advisory in organization design.
- Advised organization design, talent management, performance management, and cultural growth in an information services company.
- Created a capability-based enterprise architecture framework; developed IT and workflow automation strategies; analyzed business intelligence requirements and helped in the tool selection; and provided architectural assurance for strategic projects.
- Assisted an EU agency in defining its information strategy, principles, governance structure, and information management policies.
- Helped a digital marketing agency appraise, develop, and optimize its clients' adaptive digital marketing capability along relevant dimensions.
- Outlined an enterprise architecture framework for a telecom software company based on TOGAF capability-based planning, SAFe, and eTOM.
Senior Information Specialist
Electronic Data Systems (EDS)
- Developed concepts, offerings, frameworks, and methodologies pertaining to business process management.
- Designed and developed a showcase demo to showcase the organization’s capabilities in geographic information systems (GIS) and enterprise application integration (EAI).
- Coordinated the automation and real-time management of radio network construction processes; defined business process architecture; analyzed and designed business processes; and led the BPM development team.
- Developed technology strategies and policies, implementation patterns, reference technology stack, and the conceptual model of business process management in the global corporate-level reference enterprise architecture program.
- Integrated enterprise applications in high-level target architecture blueprint, defining a major, multi-year enterprise transformation program. Designed, deployed, and facilitated governance for cross-domain communications and coordination.
- Contributed to the corporate SOA reference architecture and to the enterprise integration offering. Co-chaired the global BPM and workflow community of practice.
- Devised a non-normative proof-of-concept mapping of BPDM constructs to BPEL elements in OMG’s business process definition metamodel (BPDM) standard.
- Co-designed the EA metamodel; conducted worldwide discovery, collection, and analysis of enterprise architecture data; and reverse-engineered business processes in a global enterprise architecture modernization team.
- Devised business process architecture, implementation patterns, and guidelines; coordinated business process analysis and design; and gave end-client training.
WM Data (formerly Novo; Stonesoft e-Solutions)
- Designed and implemented sales automation systems (e.g., sales configurators and pricing engines) for global telecommunications and industry companies. Provided pre-sales consulting.
- Assessed and reported the work unit’s organizational culture and provided recommendations for organizational development.
- Conducted root cause analysis, bug fixing, and development of an in-house, object-oriented client-server payroll application.
- Performed a viability assessment of a business model for the client company, investigated RosettaNet’s applicability to exception-based collaborative forecasting, and proposed a process integration architecture and an implementation roadmap.
- Conducted a business, process, and information analysis of the client’s operating environment, gathered requirements, and proposed an integration architecture and roadmap.
- Developed the company’s EAI offering, evaluated products, and engaged in pre-sales and tendering activities.
- Led a development team of six people responsible for implementing the process control subsystem for the hot rolling process in a mission-critical, real-time environment based on a four-tier event-driven architecture.
- Provided consulting and provision of training in business process analysis (BPA), redesign, and implementation (BPM), covering the entire process development lifecycle.
- Developed, designed, and maintained an in-house patent database application.
- Designed data modeling and relational database schema and query.
- Created and developed reports and the user interface.
Strategic Frameworks for Enterprise Architecture and Information Management
Designed two strategic frameworks for an EU agency: a capability-based enterprise architecture framework and information management framework.
In the first one, I, together with a resident business architect, designed an agency-wide strategic enterprise architecture framework that fostered the identification, development, and management of capabilities across the agency. The framework featured a steering model, capability-based planning process, high-level capability map, service catalog, architectural principles, and development roadmap.
In the second project, I facilitated articulating information strategy, the design of an information governance model, and the specification of information management policies. The capability-based enterprise architecture framework transformed the agency’s planning approach from activity-based to capability-based – steering the organization from the future capability requirements rather than present resource constraints. The information management framework established a governance structure and unified and enhanced the agency’s information management principles, policies, and processes.
Smart Metering Transformation
Specified the solution architecture in a major transformation program pertaining to automated meter management.
In this role, I led workshops for requirements analysis and architecture development; elicited functional and non-functional requirements, asset information, artifact dependencies, and master data and document information, process, system, and technical views; provided vendors with guidelines about the solution to be developed and secured alignment between the solution architecture document and vendor specifications; identified and evaluated solution scenarios and contributed to the definition of strategic views for the target architecture.
"Janne performed the work highly professionally, assignments always completed [on] time, [within] budget, and with quality exceeding expectations."
Process Control System Re-engineering
Worked as a team leader in a large-scale mission-critical process control system (PCS) re-engineering program that enabled the client, a large steel manufacturer, to double its production capacity.
Specified functional and non-functional requirements with the customer, designed the solution in coordination with other teams and within the architectural constraints, coordinated the software development, and developed system test cases.
The PCS system comprised 150 user interfaces, 210 database tables, 16 message brokers, and 22 business logic servers.
Product Management for an Early-stage Startup
Helped the client articulate a well-defined value proposition, design their business model, and define a go-to-market strategy.
"Janne Korhonen consistently showcased his expertise in product management throughout the project's development, with an uncanny ability to analyze market trends and incorporate them into our product's design. He demonstrated a deep understanding of various theories and frameworks and was able to effectively apply them to the project, ensuring the alignment of our business goals with market demands."
Doctorate in Product Information Technology
Aalto University - Helsinki, Finland
Bachelor of Arts Degree in Cognitive Science
University of Helsinki - Helsinki, Finland
Master of Science Degree in Computer Science
Helsinki University of Technology - Espoo, Finland
Become an SEO Expert
Become a Digital Marketing Specialist
Master Digital Marketing
TOGAF 9 Certified
AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner
Become a User Experience Designer
Master Digital Transformation
Digital Product Management Specialization
Master Agile Software Development
Become a Product Manager
Become an Agile Project Manager
Azure Infrastructure Fundamentals
Archimate 3 Practitioner
Archimate 3 Foundation