Verified Expert in Engineering
Andres is a senior mobile app developer with over 17 years of software development experience. He has an embedded software background developing sophisticated applications for General Electric's SCADA equipment. Andres has developed multiple iOS and Android apps with vast experience in the entire app development lifecycle, using Swift, Objective-C, and Flutter.
MacOS, Xcode, Flutter, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Swift, Objective-C, Git, Bitbucket, Firebase, Cloud Firestore
The most amazing...
...thing I've developed is a system with iOS devices and BLE that allows airlines to double the number of flights they can board at peak hours.
Senior Software Architect
- Developed an app for iOS and Android using Flutter to make parents' life easier when picking up their kids at school, as well as to help schools improve the process and security of handing the students to their parents at the end of school.
- Created an app for dairy farms that monitors the weather conditions at any location using a weather service API and predicts the heat stress the cows may suffer for the next seven days.
- Built an app and web portal for a company that installs LED street lights. This system allows them to keep a georeferenced control of all the street lights to be installed and a record of before, during, and after images of the installation.
Senior Software Engineer | Lead Designer
Vortex Boarding and Disembarking Systems Ltd.
- Developed a simulation software for iOS using Objective-C that simulates 10 different ways to board and two ways to disembark a commercial airplane. The software can simulate three other processes simultaneously.
- Created an intelligent boarding pass reader for iOS in Objective-C using 2D barcode reading libraries and communication with Bluetooth LE.
- Built an iOS app for iPad using Vortex's intelligent boarding algorithm and communication via Bluetooth LE with Vortex barcode reader and the airline's departure control system to reduce passengers' boarding time in commercial flights.
- Developed an iOS app for iPad that communicates via Bluetooth LE with multiple Vortex barcode readers and multiple airlines' distributed control systems (DCS) to efficiently board simultaneous flights on remote-position boarding gates.
- Implemented the Vortex remote-position boarding system at Mexico City's airport, boarding over one million passengers and duplicating the boarding capacity of remote-position boarding gates.
Embedded Software Engineer | Team Leader
- Led a remote team in the design and implementation of distribution automation and fault detection, isolation, and restoration (DA-FDIR) embedded software using object-oriented programming in C++ for the GE D400 advanced substation gateway.
- Developed the DA-FDIR software's library that parses an XML file with the description of the distribution grid to be supervised. It detects faults to isolate a grid section and restores power to the remaining grid using alternate power sources.
- Tracked and fixed bugs using Bugzilla as a reporting tool.
Embedded Software Engineer
- Developed communication protocols for electronic equipment used for supervision and control of electric utility substations and distribution lines using C and C++.
- Implemented new features, improved software efficiency, and debugged existing communication protocols and other applications for GE Harris ECS hardware products.
- Imparted various training courses on installation, configuration, and programming of data acquisition and control equipment for electric substations.
With this app, parents can choose who will pick up their kids each day, allowing them to easily carpool and reducing the time they wait in line or at the school door.
The app uses GPS location to predict the order in which parents will arrive to pick up their kids and helps school personnel coordinate the process of handing the students from their classroom to the school door, and ensure that the student will be ready to be picked up at the moment the authorized person arrives.
I also created a web portal using Flutter for web and Google Maps API (REST) to allow schools to add, edit, remove students and personnel, manage permissions, monitor the process daily, access historical information, and generate reports.
I designed and fully implemented the app and web portal and managed the release and maintenance in App Store and Google Play Store.
Heat Stress Prediction Apphttp://digithpro.com/
It calculates the heat stress index suffered by the cows, displaying rich information in very informative graphs with predictions up to seven days in advance.
Using Google Maps API, the app allows the user to pinpoint their ranch’s location and save multiple locations to be monitored.
I was the designer and developer of the app and was responsible for the release and maintenance in the App Store.
LED Street Lights Installation Platformhttp://dyhmexicana.com/
The iOS app allows the company's personnel to visit the site and register the locations of every street light to be installed by reading a QR code that identifies each post and using GPS to register its location. The user also takes pictures of the area for reference.
Using the web portal, the administrator can view a map with the position of all installation locations, generate reports to show the client, create a proposal, and select groups of street light locations to be assigned to an installation crew. Using a map, the crew is guided to each location for the installation.
I managed the design and implementation of the mobile app, the creation of the web portal, and the supervision and guidance of the web developer to ensure the product's quality.
I managed the research and discovery of the right tools and technologies to be able to accomplish a successful product and for the design and implementation of the simulator. I worked with the design team to help them generate the required drawings and images, and I implemented the algorithms for the different boarding and disembarking processes.
Vortex Intelligent Boarding Systemhttps://vortexbandd.com/
I designed and developed the app and managed the implementation of Vortex's intelligent boarding algorithm into the app. Additionally, I designed the communication protocol for the Bluetooth LE communication with the Vortex boarding pass reader, and I integrated it with the airline's departure control system.
Vortex Boarding Pass Readerhttps://vortexbandd.com/
After receiving an answer from the airline's DCS, the iPad's screen displays the passenger's name and whether they can board. I designed and developed the app and managed constant improvement based on field tests.
Vortex Regionals Boarding Systemhttps://vortexbandd.com/
It dramatically increases the number of flights that can be boarded during peak hours.
Distribution Automation and Fault Detection, Isolation, and Restoration
When a fault in the grid occurs, the FDIR system traces the graph to calculate where the fault occurred, calculating the smallest area that can be isolated and sending the commands to open the required switches or breakers to isolate the area.
After isolation, the FDIR searches for alternative power sources in the grid and calculates the largest possible area to restore, considering the priority of areas to restore and the capacity of all elements in the grid to avoid overloading. Finally, it sends the commands to close the required switches or breakers to restore power.
Flutter, Core Data
Xcode, Git, Bitbucket, Subversion (SVN)
Mobile Development, REST
Firebase, iOS, MacOS, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Bluetooth LE, Android, Linux, Embedded Linux
Cloud Firestore, JSON, XML Parsing
QR Codes, APIs, App UX, Architecture, GPS, Team Management, Digital Electronics, Firebase Hosting, Real-time Operating System (RTOS)
Google Maps API, Node.js
Bachelor's Degree in Electronics and Communications Engineering
SC Iberoamerican University - Torreón, Coahuila, Mexico