Freelance Team DevOps Engineer2018 - PRESENTBlackboard (via Toptal)
Technologies: Azure, Azure Service Fabric, Octopus Deploy, Jenkins, PowerShell, Docker
- Automated Dockerized microservice deployments to Azure Service Fabric.
- Automated microservice deployments and infrastructure updates using Octopus Deploy.
- Automated HA (multi-region) service and infrastructure deployments.
- Modularizdc deployment scripts and modules for reuse.
- Provisiondc multiple Azure resources including Key Vaults, CosmosDB, ServiceBus, EventHub, and others.
CEO | Partner2011 - PRESENTUsability Dynamics
Technologies: DevOps, Cloud Computing, High Availability, PaaS
- Worked with a team of brilliant engineers, project managers, designers, and copywriters to deliver top-notch technology services.
- Led by example by always learning and staying on top of emerging technology trends while mentoring and developing team members.
- Enhanced and managed the distributed product release flow by automating the testing, tagging, packaging, and releasing of public plugins/modules and libraries.
- Handled the business development efforts in the B2B space by defining the organizational mission and business objectives.
Senior Technical Manager2014 - 2017Usability Dynamics
Technologies: GCE, Azure, Node.js, Docker, CoreOS, Elasticsearch, CircleCI, RabbitMQ, HAProxy, Nginx
- Oversaw the development of multiple Node.js-based web services.
- Engineered various deployment strategies on AWS, GCE, and Azure.
- Trained team members on stateless application development patterns.
- Gained a great deal of experience with Docker while building a proprietary Docker-based hosting platform.
- Implemented container-based development and workflow principles.
- Published 13 public packages and 17 more private packages; more information can be found at Npmjs.com/~andy.potanin.
- Published over 40 Docker images. (more information can be found at Hub.docker.com/u/andypotanin/).
- Migrated 140 client applications from single node deployments to containerized horizontally scalable clusters.
Full-stack Senior Developer2012 - 2014Usability Dynamics
Technologies: Varnish, GitHub, GitFlow, WordPress, PHP, HVVM, MySQL, Linux, VMware vCenter
- Developed a WordPress hosting infrastructure based on Docker; oversaw the development of WP-Property, WP-Invoice, WP-CRM, and WP-Stateless.
- Leveraged a variety of technologies (Elasticsearch, RabbitMQ, and Percona) and deployments on numerous long-term projects.
- Published and participated in over 400 repositories.
- Made over 7,000 codebase contributions and revisions; more information can be found at the link: Github.com/andypotanin.
- Reached the top 11% in 2017 on Stack Overflow; can be seen using the link, Stackoverflow.com/users/104247/andy.
- Oversaw the development of WordPress products with over 630,000 downloads; more information can be found at Profiles.wordpress.org/andypotanin/#content-plugins.
Systems Engineer | Applications Developer2010 - 2012Northrop Grumman | TASC
Technologies: WordPress, PHP, MySQL, Linux, AirFortress
- Oversaw the development of a web-based ERP system customized for the unique business process of the technical engineering and assistance team (TE&AT) with an objective to support the US Marine Corps logistics forces.
- Supported the Marine Corps' mission as a member of a 25-person team.
- Improved daily operations by leveraging various technologies.
- Created methods for analyzing and quantifying team member performance.
Information Technology Chief2005 - 2010United States Marine Corps
Technologies: Cisco Networking, Windows Server 2003, SharePoint, WiFi Security, BackTrack Linux
- Led a group of eight-to-eleven IT personnel in the day-to-day operations.
- Coordinated and scheduled IT training sessions which were tailored specifically for the individual at hand.
- Conducted performance evaluations and recommendations for promotion.
- Implemented a SharePoint powered asset and task tracking system for section cohesion.
- Delegated and supervised a monthly average of 42.5 individual tasks and projects within IT.
- Managed an inventory valued over $1.2 million—achieving a 100% compliance in a field supply and maintenance analysis office (FSMAO) inspection.