Verified Expert in Engineering
Brad likes to build and improve software that solves real-world business problems and creates a positive experience for users, as well as having a positive business impact for the organization. He is inspired by a high-productivity/innovative work culture—walking the line between perfection and a getting-it-done mentality.
MacOS, Linux, Git, Sublime Text
The most amazing...
...and fun project I worked on was an online storefront in Go. After writing several complete store systems, I finally wrote one that the team enjoyed maintaining.
Development and Operations In-Charge
International Liaison Office/Golden Era Productions
- Worked primarily as the lead over web development and operations which I acquired after a couple of years as a developer. During this time, I did a majority of the development work on and in most cases led all of the technical on a number of exciting projects and integrations. This is in addition to running the day-to-day maintenance, monitoring, performance review, and more for these products. Some notable projects are included below.
- Did the initial prototyping and then ran the teams that built several iOS applications (iPad and iPhone universal apps): Truth About Drugs Online Education, United for Human Rights Online Education, and Youth for Human Rights Online Education. Technologies used included Objective-C, C++, and Lua.
- Led the team and wrote roughly 25% of the code for a series of corresponding online education web apps: http://education.drugfreeworld.org/, http://education.humanrights.com/, and http://education.youthforhumanrights.org/. Technologies used included: Drupal 7, PHP, Apache, Varnish, Java, Tomcat. Most of the code was written in PHP.
- Built a login and membership system for a charity. Unfortunately most of this site was later decommissioned, but it was a good product and a great learning experience. The user system was backed by an LDAP directory, the application itself was written in Java as two parts and used JAXB for XML-based service calls. The app ran in an early version of Glassfish and was later moved to Resin.
- Ran the team that built an online personality test. This site was built twice from the ground up: http://www.oxfordcapacityanalysis.org/. The first time in PHP and the second in Go. Basic HTML5/CSS3 + jQuery was used for the UI both times. JSON (JSON-RPC 2.0-ish) services were employed for the data storage/retrieval. For both projects, I directed the initial architecture and guided another developer who did a lot of the hands-on work. I did write probably 15-20% of the code personally as well on each version.
- Built an online store in Go. This store was built using Go for the back-end, along with Go templates for page rendering. The front end was mostly just straight JS, some jQuery, and JSON-RPC 2.0-ish web service calls. The above link is just one example of how this was deployed, the engine itself was written to be the core of a number of online stores. Features include multi-language, multi-currency, mobile layout, and several different payment gateway integrations.
- Gained extensive experience managing Linux systems (RedHat/CentOS/Fedora); including addressing performance issues, network admin, installs and upgrades, and file system maintenance. At various points during my tenure, I had to pinch-hit on a number of system administration tasks due to personnel issues or while I was training another person to take the functions over.
Lead Web Developer
Bridge Publications, Inc.
- Did ground-up (re)builds of the main company site and three other product-specific sites (PHP and Java): http://www.bridgepub.com, http://www.battlefieldearth.com, http://www.galaxypress.com, and http://www.clearbodyclearmind.com.
- Worked as the primary developer on their eCommerce system including the online ordering, shopping cart, and payment system (mostly in PHP).
- Wrote a JSP-based UI on top of an Oracle product called iStore which involved a lot of integration with existing/legacy Java components.
- Built several other internal systems including one for managing customer records and hardcopy record reconciliation.
- Developed numerous one-off product landing pages which sold products from email and ads.
Database Admin & Software Developer
- Managed a calling card platform which performed call termination and routing services as used via phone cards.
- Managed the database and saw to the general health and performance.
- Wrote a number of scripts to perform maintenance and create summary data.
- Wrote and maintained a program to merge and correlate billing information from a disparate system presented as text files to core database. The integration was done with dBase and MS Access.
JPA, Spring, Hibernate, Jakarta Server Pages (JSP), GWT, Apache Wicket, Twisted, AngularJS
JSON-RPC, Underscore.js, Riot.js, jQuery, React, Google Maps API, OpenCV, AMQP, PhantomJS
Eclipse IDE, Varnish, Gorilla, Apache, Sublime Text, Adobe Photoshop, Apache Tomcat, Git, Jetty, ActiveMQ, Let's Encrypt, RPM, NGINX, RabbitMQ, Systemd, Postman
Concurrent Programming, REST
Linux RHEL/CentOS, Linux, Drupal, NetBeans, MacOS, MS-DOS, Windows, Mule ESB, Oracle
Database Administration (DBA), MySQL, SQLite, JSON, Memcached, Cassandra, MongoDB, PostgreSQL
Load Balancers, Front-end Development, Back-end Development, LDAP, Ubercart, GlassFish
Undertook a Single Course in iOS Programming
UCLA Extension - Los Angeles, CA, USA
Undertook a Single Course in Computer Security
UCLA Extension - Los Angeles, CA, USA