Development and Operations In-Charge2005 - 2016International Liaison Office/Golden Era Productions
Technologies: Linux, MySQL, Apache, PHP, Java, Go
- Worked primarily as the lead over web development and operations which I acquired after a couple of years as a developer. During this time, I did a majority of the development work on and in most cases led all of the technical on a number of exciting projects and integrations. This is in addition to running the day-to-day maintenance, monitoring, performance review, and more for these products. Some notable projects are included below.
- Did the initial prototyping and then ran the teams that built several iOS applications (iPad and iPhone universal apps): Truth About Drugs Online Education, United for Human Rights Online Education, and Youth for Human Rights Online Education. Technologies used included Objective-C, C++, and Lua.
- Led the team and wrote roughly 25% of the code for a series of corresponding online education web apps: http://education.drugfreeworld.org/, http://education.humanrights.com/, and http://education.youthforhumanrights.org/. Technologies used included: Drupal 7, PHP, Apache, Varnish, Java, Tomcat. Most of the code was written in PHP.
- Built a login and membership system for a charity. Unfortunately most of this site was later decommissioned, but it was a good product and a great learning experience. The user system was backed by an LDAP directory, the application itself was written in Java as two parts and used JAXB for XML-based service calls. The app ran in an early version of Glassfish and was later moved to Resin.
- Ran the team that built an online personality test. This site was built twice from the ground up: http://www.oxfordcapacityanalysis.org/. The first time in PHP and the second in Go. Basic HTML5/CSS3 + jQuery was used for the UI both times. JSON (JSON-RPC 2.0-ish) services were employed for the data storage/retrieval. For both projects, I directed the initial architecture and guided another developer who did a lot of the hands-on work. I did write probably 15-20% of the code personally as well on each version.
- Built an online store in Go. This store was built using Go for the back-end, along with Go templates for page rendering. The front end was mostly just straight JS, some jQuery, and JSON-RPC 2.0-ish web service calls. The above link is just one example of how this was deployed, the engine itself was written to be the core of a number of online stores. Features include multi-language, multi-currency, mobile layout, and several different payment gateway integrations.
- Gained extensive experience managing Linux systems (RedHat/CentOS/Fedora); including addressing performance issues, network admin, installs and upgrades, and file system maintenance. At various points during my tenure, I had to pinch-hit on a number of system administration tasks due to personnel issues or while I was training another person to take the functions over.
Lead Web Developer1999 - 2005Bridge Publications, Inc.
Technologies: Java, Linux, MySQL, Apache, PHP
- Did ground-up (re)builds of the main company site and three other product-specific sites (PHP and Java): http://www.bridgepub.com, http://www.battlefieldearth.com, http://www.galaxypress.com, and http://www.clearbodyclearmind.com.
- Worked as the primary developer on their eCommerce system including the online ordering, shopping cart, and payment system (mostly in PHP).
- Wrote a JSP-based UI on top of an Oracle product called iStore which involved a lot of integration with existing/legacy Java components.
- Built several other internal systems including one for managing customer records and hardcopy record reconciliation.
- Developed numerous one-off product landing pages which sold products from email and ads.
Database Admin & Software Developer1999 - 1999Payless Communications
Technologies: Windows, MS DOS, dBASE
- Managed a calling card platform which performed call termination and routing services as used via phone cards.
- Managed the database and saw to the general health and performance.
- Wrote a number of scripts to perform maintenance and create summary data.
- Wrote and maintained a program to merge and correlate billing information from a disparate system presented as text files to core database. The integration was done with dBase and MS Access.