HTML/CSS Developer in Aliso Viejo, CA, United States
New Media Manager2015 - PRESENTThe Guthy-Jackson Charitable Foundation
Technologies: WordPress, Gulp, Sass, Node.js, Ionic Framework, Adobe CC, Vue,js
- Created and managed a WordPress-based website with 2k+ daily visitors.
- Manage a Google Analytics profile for website conversion rate optimization.
- Integrated custom post type and meta architecture with WP REST API to power a mobile application.
- Managed Google AdGrants Pro with monthly budget of $40,000.
- Manage all aspects of graphic design for print materials and online promotions.
- Integrated interactive Vue.js-based components.
Senior Web Developer (Freelance)2015 - 2015Saba Agency
Technologies: WordPress, Magento, HTML, CSS, JS, Gulp, Sass, LESS
- Designed, built, and managed websites for large business and local government and civil groups.
- Completed the transition to responsive design for multiple WordPress and Magento websites.
- Monitored monthly SEO strategies for multiple clients.
Adjunct Instructor2014 - 2015Fresno City College
- Taught a full course-load of writing and literature courses for college freshman.
- Wrote college-level curriculum.
Director of Media and Website2013 - 2015Rocky Hill Community Church
Technologies: WordPress, HTML, CSS, JS, Adobe CC
- Built marketing and media teams from the ground up, including both paid employees and volunteers.
- Designed, built, and managed a WordPress website with eCommerce capabilities.
- Oversaw graphic design for web and print materials, from Facebook ad campaigns to highway billboards.
- Oversaw stage design and A/V management for services, musical productions, and special events.
- Talk in Arabic Custom Development (Development)https://www.talkinarabic.com
Front-end and WordPress development for a large, subscription-based, educational website. Development included a custom WordPress theme, two custom WordPress plugins, and a suite of options through Advanced Custom Fields for maximum user editability.
- CB Custom Modules (Development)https://cbcustommodules.com
WordPress plugin/Beaver Builder extension with 800+ active installs.
Free suite of custom modules for Beaver Builder that highlight photography with smooth animations, interactions, and hover effects.
- Community All Stars Site Design/Development (Development)https://communityallstars.com
I redesigned and rebuilt their website from the ground up. We also took advantage of the content storing power of WordPress and the magic of REST APIs (a data-storage and retrieval system that breaks down walls). I created a centralized location for all of their client data, using REST APIs and fancy tools like AngularJS to let them display and manipulate their info as needed. In addition, I was able to connect to their Google Drive, allowing them to make simple edits in Google Spreadsheets that updated online in real-time.
- NMO Resources Mobile App (Development)https://itunes.apple.com/app/apple-store/id1032001786?pt=117931778&mt=8
The app is meant as an educational resource for clinicians and stakeholders in the NMO community. Some of the requests were for a modern, visual interface, easy navigation and hierarchy, and a deep pool of information made easily accessible.
The app is available for iOS and Android. By leveraging the Ionic Framework and Cordova plugin system, I was able to build the app using emerging web technologies but still wrap it up and deliver it as a native app. The app is managed through a WordPress back-end, syncing data through the WP REST API.
Some of the more exciting features of NMO Resources include a video library, access to in-depth FAQs and research publications, and a special ‘Notes’ section for storing information. Some of the most exciting features center around accessibility. Because a high percentage of the users would have impaired vision, it was important to include settings that would allow them to increase font size and font thickness as well as remove any image backgrounds that would get in the way of legibility.
- Self Help Enterprises Site Design/Development (Development)http://www.selfhelpenterprises.org/
Redesigned and built the site to run on WordPress, which allowed us to leverage custom post types and meta storage in an effort to organize their data. Instead of dealing with code, the entire system was automated to display what they want exactly the way they want it.
Demographic research suggested that access to home internet was limited, but mobile views were prevalent, so the site was built from the ground up to be responsive and mobile-friendly. In addition, I rounded it out with custom graphic elements, smooth scrolling effects, and even a custom icon font that could be easily used throughout the site.
- The Guthy-Jackson Charitable Foundation (Development)https://guthyjacksonfoundation.org/
This website was built from the ground up to run completely on WordPress. Originally meant to replace and combine four separate microsites, this sprawling website has be organized for user ease and search engine optimization.
There are multiple surprises along the way, including a full user account interface for comments and communities, event postings that integrate with Google Maps API, and Vue.js-powered sections that increase engagement through interactivity and speed.
- eBook: I Built a Website and Now I Want to Be a Web Designer (Other amazing things)https://briancoords.com/ebook/
eBook for web designers that explores some of the things I wish someone would’ve told me before I started building websites for money.
- WordCamp Presentation: WordPress for Nonprofits (Other amazing things)https://wordpress.tv/2017/07/20/brian-coords-wordpress-for-non-profits/
Presentation at WordCamp Orange County regarding nonprofits and WordPress.
Libraries/APIsWordPress API, jQuery, Vue.js
ToolsGulp.js, Adobe CC
- Teacher's credential in Education2009 - 2010Cal State Fullerton - Fullerton, CA
- Bachelor's and Master's degrees in English Education2003 - 2009Cal Poly Pomona - Pomona, CA