Verified Expert in Engineering
Data Architect and Developer
Brian has a decade of substantial experience in data integration, data architecting, and data modeling in various industries such as government, banking, investment, and so on. The way Brian works is by designing the most optimized, scalable, and robust solution based on requirements. Brian's curiosity is what drives him to learn about new business areas, tackle new challenges, and embrace new technologies.
Azure Data Lake, Microsoft Power BI, Python, Microsoft SQL Server, Azure
The most amazing...
...project I've led and completed was an Azure IoT project and subsequently won Microsoft IMPACT Award in 2015.
AB-InBev - AB Inbev (USA)
- Led the design and oversaw the data operation at BEES, including data infrastructure management, security management, and access management to enable different data domains to achieve excellence in data engineering and data analytics.
- Managed various POC projects with vendors to achieve operational and financial efficiency for the enterprise data platform.
- Supported and guided data engineer leads and data analytics leads to achieving optimization and continuous improvements in data operation.
- Identified the operational deficiencies between data analytics and data engineering and introduced the concept of data modeling, specifically business intelligence, which allowed the analytics to write more efficient analytical queries.
- Designed and managed the implementation of the distributed data architecture in 15+ countries and 20+ data domains in three years.
Azure Data Architect
Toronto Public Library
- Assessed the business, data, and reporting requirements. Created several architectural recommendations and developed the most cost-effective but performing and future-proven data platform solution.
- Developed several data pipeline approaches using ADFv2, like copy, data flow, and Databricks Notebooks using Python. Recommended the best solution based on the requirements, including cost.
- Conducted research on data modernization strategy and recommended the data modernization roadmap.
- Participated in organizational master data strategy and provided and recommended different approaches with help from Gartner.
- Contributed to procurement, policy review, and other business-related meetings to provide data governance advice.
- Created several organizational dashboards and reports using Power BI and SSRS reporting.
Azure Data Consultant
- Worked with the Microsoft technical sales team to create side-by-side feature comparisons between Azure SQL managed instances and SQL Server 2008 R2 on premise.
- Worked on detailed features including indexes, replications, SSRS, SSIS, SSAS, job agent, and so on.
- Signed a migration project from a financing firm successfully.
Gluskin Sheff Associates
- Migrated a financial database for a trading analyst from MySQL to SQL Server 2016.
- Converted 20+ Excel applications written in VB and Python to use SQL Server 2016 due to syntax changes.
- Refined and optimized some applications and the new SQL Server to achieve a high performance.
- Provided technical training to business analysts on SQL Server.
- Advised and designed the future proven Azure database platform as an enterprise data strategy.
Business Intelligence Consultant
TD Bank Technology Solution
- Implemented transnational replication to support OLTP transactions and real-time reporting.
- Created a dimensional data model using a star schema for data analytics.
- Implemented Power BI for performance scorecards and SSRS reports for scheduled reporting.
- Trained junior team members and participated in performance reviews.
Business Intelligence Consultant
Various Full-time Positions
- Developed various database and data platform solutions for TD Bank Fraud, Dream REIT, Brookfield REIT, RIO CAN REIT, Carlsberg Sales, Gluskin & Sheff Investment, and more.
- Performed various pre-sale projects with Microsoft and consulting firms.
- Started the Azure platform at an early stage for Proof-of-Concept, including on-premise to cloud migration and on-premise to cloud feature comparison research.
My work also included identifying the operational deficiencies between data analytics and data engineering and introducing the concept of data modeling, specifically business intelligence, which allowed the analytics to write more efficient analytical queries. Additionally, I designed and managed the implementation of the distributed data architecture in 15+ countries and 20+ data domains in three years.
Design and Implementation of an Enterprise Data Warehouse for a Government Agency
I participated in procurement, policy review, and other business-related meetings to provide data governance advice. I also converted several manual processes to automated ones and improved staff productivity.
Azure IoT Hub for a Mining Company
Consumer Segmentation for a Startup
Data Integration Project for an Advertising Agency
SSAS, Microsoft Power BI, Microsoft Excel, Tableau
Dimensional Modeling, Agile Software Development, ETL, Azure DevOps
Databricks, Azure, Azure SQL Data Warehouse, Dedicated SQL Pool (formerly SQL DW), Azure Synapse, Oracle, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, SQL Server 2016, SQL Server 2008 R2, SQL Server 2012, SQL Server 2014, SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS), SSAS Tabular, Database Architecture, Data Lakes, Database Modeling, Data Pipelines, Database Lifecycle Management (DLM), MongoDB, Azure Cosmos DB
Azure Data Lake, Data Warehousing, Computer Science, Data Warehouse Design, Source Control Management, Data Modeling, Data Visualization, Big Data Architecture, Cloud Architecture, Data Migration, Microsoft Azure, Microsoft Azure Cloud Server, Data Architecture, Data Mesh, Data Management Platforms, Azure Databricks, Data Engineering, Data Analytics, APIs, Azure Data Factory, Data Analysis, ETL Tools, ETL Pipelines, Cloud, MDM, Stream Processing, Streaming Data, Cloud Infrastructure, Leadership, SAP, Big Data, eCommerce, Machine Learning, Data Lakehouse
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
University of Waterloo - Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
MCSA SQL Server 2012
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring