Full-stack Developer2017 - PRESENTUptrack
- Built Optimaxx, a task-management and productivity web app, using React / Next.js and FaunaDB. (optimaxx.io).
- Developed a full-stack web application using Django, a Python-based web framework, for a caterers' food ordering and delivery platform. Operated and maintained the platform for a year, including rolling out multiple new features and multiple updates.
- Developed an industrial logbook application for a large oil company to track maintenance and operation events by multiple shifts using Django (Python).
- Built an API using the Django REST Framework for a decentralized version of DoorDash, with both vendor and delivery apps connected to the API.
- Built Borealhead, an electronic daily journal app. It is a full-stack web app built with React, using the Next.js framework, with user authentication/authorization, user data encryption, and a combination of server-side and client-side rendering.
- Developed an industrial alarm classification system for industrial events and alarms, with a machine learning algorithm to identify the root cause of failures. Built using the Keras deep learning library (Python).
- Built a simple DApp using Web3.js on the Ethereum network. The DApp interacts with a smart contract and has a React front-end user interface. Two users can play a game and stake ether, and the winner is paid the full balance.
- Built a React / Next.js app that allows groups to coordinate and manage a gift exchange. The app randomly assigns participants, allows setting certain rules and exceptions, and sends emails to participants keeping gifter-giftee assignments secret.
- Built multiple web apps using combinations of React, React Native, Next.js, the MERN stack, and several different APIs.
Full-stack Developer2022 - 2023Palmswap
- Built several features of a fully-featured decentralized cryptocurrency exchange platform, including front-end trading and portfolio UI, and backend infrastructure.
- Built a user interface for users to keep track of their referral discounts and commissions, and claim funds periodically.
- Crafted, configured and maintained several backend AWS services using a combination of the AWS console and SDK, as well as infrastructure-as-code deployments.
- Built a fully-featured administrative dashboard to track business and infrastructure metrics, and to perform certain backend tasks more easily.
- Fixed critical bugs on short notice, and completed important infrastructure deployments after-hours.
Full-stack Developer2022 - 2022Coverdash
- Built a full web application platform for an insurance brokerage startup from scratch.
- Created the architecture for the web application, including the database schema, authentication and authorization, front-end framework, and styling library, as well as supporting external APIs and tools.
- Built a public component library published on NPM to be used by external business partners.
Mechanical Engineer2016 - 2022City of Edmonton, AB
Technologies: HVAC Design, Mechanical Engineering, AutoCAD, Excel 2013, D3.js, Finance
- Acted as the project engineer for a complete mechanical systems replacement for a 22-floor office tower. Old air systems, hydronic heating, and cooling systems were replaced, including air handling units, boilers, chillers, cooling towers, and pumps.
- Managed a project to conduct a forensic investigation into ventilation deficiency in a multi-purpose facility with a large vehicle garage, multiple paint booths, cleaning hoods, and chemical storage.
- Created a marginal abatement cost model for energy efficiency and carbon emission reduction strategy for a portfolio of 900 buildings.
- Compiled around 200 energy conservation measures into marginal abatement cost curve, with a data visualization in D3.js.
- Acted as the engineer of record for multiple mechanical systems designs, including chlorine gas room ventilation and controls upgrades, plant control building ventilation, filtration and controls upgrades, and aquatic basin anti-entrapment upgrades.
CEO, Full-stack Developer2020 - 2021Meal Hippo
Technologies: Python 3, Django, Startups, Full-stack Development, Celery, Front-end Development, Back-end Development, Bootstrap, REST APIs, PostgreSQL, Full-stack, Back-end, Front-end, Web App Development
- Acted as the CEO of Meal Hippo, a catering food ordering and delivery app. Started the company as a startup and ran it for one year. Built the web application platform, got vendors and users/customers onboarded, and completed orders.
- Built the web application prototype using Django (Python) with Stripe payments integration and Bootstrap CSS framework for front-end styling. Celery (Python) integration for asynchronous email sending tasks with Postman integration.
- Took care of all business development activities, including meetings with and recruiting vendors to the platform, meeting with and recruiting users/customers, and getting feedback from vendors and customers. Arranged all deliveries and logistics.
- Iterated the web application platform following Lean Startup and Y Combinator practices. Did programming for all web app development and maintenance over the product's life, from prototype to each product iteration.
Mechanical Engineer2011 - 2016Stantec Consulting
Technologies: HVAC Design, Mechanical Engineering, AutoCAD, Revit, Excel 2013
- Conducted multiple plant-wide engineering studies on building and process heating, cooling, and ventilation systems for a municipal wastewater treatment plant. Calculated heating and ventilation loads for all buildings.
- Performed all load and sizing calculations for a new hospital and long-term care center. Selected pumps, air handling units, and VAV boxes for a new HVAC system. Produced systems schematics for hydronic heating and cooling and ventilation systems.
- Acted as the lead engineer, designing and drafting complete new mechanical systems for a new power engineer education center.
- Acted as a mechanical engineer to design a combined heat and power system for a wastewater treatment plant using waste methane from the plant process.
CEO, Mechanical Engineer2010 - 2016Metryx
Technologies: Manufacturing, Medical Devices
- Developed a novel cranial drill in collaboration with a neurosurgeon at the University of Alberta. Designed the cranial drill in a team of five engineers.
- Manufactured several prototypes of our cranial drill design out of surgical stainless steel.
- Tested materials, tools, and prototypes on a combination of cadavers and other analog materials. A group of neurosurgery residents tested the final prototype in a focus group session.
- Presented the design and prototypes to several neurosurgeons in formal and informal settings.
Full-stack Developer2008 - 2011University of Alberta
Technologies: PHP, HTML, CSS, Learning Management Systems (LMS), MySQL, SQL, Full-stack, Back-end, Front-end, Full-stack Development, Front-end Development, Back-end Development, Web App Development
- Developed web-based software and websites for both academic and administrative staff, including many websites with custom CMS capability and major projects with custom web application capability.
- Created a custom web application for an external client using PHP and MySQL that allows users to enter Aboriginal language verbs and automatically conjugates them.
- Developed a template for a prototype content management system for the University of Alberta's Moodle learning management system (LMS), used by approximately 40,000 students. Selected based on prior performance on Moodle templating projects.
- Built several custom standalone websites with content management system capability for professional use by faculty, university institutes, academic journals, and student groups, using WordPress, Moodle, and CMS Made Simple (PHP, HTML, and CSS).