Verified Expert in Engineering
Daniel is a full-stack .NET and React developer with 15+ years of experience, including on Microsoft SQL Server and testing methodologies. A native English speaker with German as a second language, he has excellent communication skills and a passion for order informing his big-picture skills in software architecture. Daniel has a keen business focus from a previous career in marketing and excels at translating commercial product requirements into realistic, quality-driven implementations.
The most amazing...
...thing I've developed is a clinical tool to predict when psychiatric patients are less likely to relapse so they can be safely released from hospitals into care.
- Developed integrations against external marketplace APIs, negotiating with third-party developers and tech support to ensure full functionality available to Linnworks customers, connecting with application data using T-SQL stored procedures.
- Architected a solution to significantly reduce development time for new integrations, combining technology choice with process design and rigorous coding standards, enforcing reusability at the data store level with custom SQL functions and queries.
- Investigated and fixed bugs in an existing production code, responding to customer reports in a timely manner. Troubleshoot performance issues at application and SQL Server level, ensuring correctness with standardized T-SQL stored procedures.
- Commercialized an existing MVP platform through the transition from the POC to the live application serving the business and clients; introduced architectural reforms to significantly improve application performance, reliability, and maintainability.
- Carried out full-stack feature development and UX, extending product functionality into user search, financial calculations, versioning, and e-signatures, normalizing database schema, and enforcing consistent use of T-SQL stored procedures.
- Recruited, managed, and mentored a team of developers delivering enhancements to the commercial platform. Led QA, UX, and product management functions during the early growth phase. Administered SQL DB, troubleshooting indexes, and query performance.
- Introduced and advocated for modern development processes, including Scrum, Git source control, continuous deployment, and automated testing. Ensured T-SQL database code was source-controlled in a testable, repeatable build.
- Led client-facing workshops to assist in the pre-sales process and gather requirements for user experience improvements, workflows, and external integrations.
CareTech Community Services
- Designed and developed a new internal web application for managing agency staff bookings across the group, eliminating financial wastage and process inefficiencies.
- Architected and designed two-way integrations with external vendors.
- Took over management of three legacy websites in ASP.NET and Umbraco, migrating from consultancy to company-controlled servers and creating documentation and maintenance processes.
- Recruited and mentored two graduate developers, training them in Agile processes and software design best practices.
- Migrated legacy applications onto ASP.NET/SQL Server platform with LDAP authentication.
- Cleaned up the database, converting fields and improving normalization, introducing T-SQL stored procedures, computed columns, and functions to avoid data duplication.
Software Development Manager
- Introduced Agile methods, source control, documentation, and coding standards across a team of six.
- Created clinical tools for measuring and reporting the global performance of service users on multiple scales, including psychiatry, occupational therapy, and education.
- Developed a compliance reporting system to integrate with data from multinational government bodies, surfacing external inspection scores and internal KPIs in a bespoke, web-based management dashboard.
- Designed and implemented a web application to manage a master list of operational sites, allowing for joined-up reporting across operational systems and a data warehouse. Implemented data integrations between diverse financial systems.
- Managed SQL databases and improved operations by introducing indexes, stored procedures, and custom functions in T-SQL, carrying out normalization and data conversion exercises, and building custom pipelines between legacy systems and data lake.
The Careers Group, University of London
- Built What London Graduates Do, a career advice website providing career suggestions to current students based on survey results covering recent graduates' actual career choices.
- Developed a web interface to a bulk mailing system for internal use, featuring automatic link tracking and reporting, an image upload library, and secure login at the system and department level.
- Created information architecture and UX wireframes for proposed website products. Introduced processes and tools and led training sessions for other team members.
- Specified and project-managed an information repository/document management system for a banking/finance firm, leading implementation within the team.
- Installed and configured SharePoint server farms and associated databases and cloud services.
- Developed custom SharePoint widgets and heavily customized page layouts using HTML, CSS, and ASP.NET/C#.
- Planned and implemented a staff performance development system, using a bespoke web interface to collect workplace feedback from managers and co-workers, collating reports, and tracking recommendations for training and skills enhancement.
- Developed custom SharePoint web parts for multiple client projects. Implemented visual styling of SharePoint sites in line with graphic design and branding guidelines.
- Built management reporting solutions, integrating data from diverse systems into unified dashboards.
Web Applications Developer
Allen & Overy LLP
- Maintained and supported a global templating system for legal letterheads, contracts, and other documents. Fixed bugs on demand and streamlined workflows and deployment processes to improve reliability and reduce turnaround time for change requests.
- Designed the system architecture for a new templates system and supervised the development outsourcing to external consultants.
- Took over maintenance of multiple legacy systems using diverse technologies to deliver critical business functions around the world and around the clock, including billing, contract reviews, and document archiving and retrieval.
Freelance Web Developer
- Created a new database schema, front-end app, and reporting solution for analyzing international sales performance. Built integrations to ingest data from diverse sources and managed packaging and deployment of the solution.
- Developed a case management system to track and allocate the workload of legal and financial investigations across a geographically distributed workforce of independent agents.
- Implemented a secure application for external field agents to access their case data and update location and availability records. Built a back-end server/database to automate the allocation of cases to the best available agents.
Brunel Franklin & Company
- Created a bespoke finance application to generate and chase invoices directly from the database, saving significant administration time in closing cases and allowing for much more efficient credit control.
- Designed and implemented a claims management database with department-specific UI workflows and automatic document generation using form letters.
- Devised and programmed a barcoded system for tracking documents and files, reducing administrative waste through lost paperwork and speeding up the business process when clients returned signed documents.
Medication Management Application for Psychiatric Hospitals
A tablet-optimized web app to aid in administering drugs in psychiatric hospitals. I designed a clear, task-focused UI to ensure that nursing staff could work most efficiently in the busy and often distracting environment of a mental health inpatient ward.
Following design reviews with medical staff, I designed the underlying software architecture and led an Agile team in the development effort using .NET Core, React, and Microsoft SQL Server.
The business outcomes included fewer medication errors, cost savings due to more efficient re-ordering from a central pharmacy, time savings by allowing doctors to remotely approve prescriptions, and improved oversight due to instant management reporting.
Temporary Staff Procurement Tool for Care Homes
• Shifts are filled at the most economic hiring rates.
• Head office procurement staff have an overview of all the orders placed and the ability to keep area managers within budget while maximizing compliance.
• Individual workers' qualifications and experience are tracked while ensuring that the human touch overrides the algorithm.
• Home managers can request return shifts from high-performing workers and reject those who are not found to be a good fit.
Clinical Assessments Tool for Special Education and Mental Health
A web-based clinical tool to measure and track the overall performance of special needs children, such as those with autism and/or learning difficulties, within residential school settings. Clinicians in various disciplines, such as psychology, occupational therapy, and speech and language, and educational staff used the tool.
Users were presented with domain-specific questionnaires that convert qualitative observations into numerical scores to guide decision-making about appropriate support and interventions and demonstrate to stakeholders that care plans resulted in positive outcomes. The observation and measurement methods were developed with clinicians, initially trialed using paper forms and manual calculations, and then validated by published research before committing to the project.
.NET, ASP.NET, ASP.NET Core, ASP.NET MVC, .NET Core, Entity, Entity Framework Core, Knockout (Knockout.js), ASP.NET Core MVC, Razor, ADO.NET, .NET 4, Bootstrap, Razor Pages, ASP.NET Web Forms, Blazor, Express.js, Cypress, Django, Redux, AngularJS, Tailwind CSS, Windows Workflow Foundation
Web API, Entity Framework, REST APIs, React, Node.js, jQuery, Windows Forms (WinForms), PayPal API
GitHub, Microsoft Visual Studio, Visual Studio, xUnit, Git, Jira, Dapper, Amazon Simple Queue Service (SQS), C#.NET WinForms, Microsoft PowerPoint, Visual Studio Tools for Office (VSTO), Microsoft Power BI, Microsoft Access, Nintex, Jenkins
REST, DevOps, Azure DevOps, Responsive, Responsive Layout, Unit Testing, MVC Design, Desktop App Development, Kanban, Microservices, Serverless Architecture
SharePoint, Microsoft, Windows Server, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Azure, Linux, Amazon Web Services (AWS), AWS Lambda, SharePoint 2013, SharePoint 365, Windows Server 2016, Amazon EC2, Oracle Database, Umbraco
Microsoft SQL Server, SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), SQL Server DBA, JSON, Databases, Web Forms, IIS SQL Server, SQL Stored Procedures, SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), Azure SQL, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS), Azure Active Directory, PostgreSQL
Critical Thinking, Systems Analysis, APIs, Migration, Full-stack, Full-stack Development, Front-end, Web Development, JSON REST APIs, REST API Clients, Front-end Development, Web Applications, API Integration, Back-end, Back-end Development, Distributed Systems, Integration, Customer Relationship Management (CRM), Responsive Web Apps, Progressive Web Applications (PWA), Minimum Viable Product (MVP), Healthcare IT, Data Analysis, C# Operators, Microsoft Stack, RESTful Services, Webhooks, ASCII, Intranets, Normalization, Software Architecture, Architecture, Web Crawlers, Web Scraping, Cloud, Data Visualization, Responsive Design, Windows App Design, Datasets, Team Management, Integration Testing, Axios, Amazon RDS, User Interface (UI), Windows Desktop Software, APM, E-signatures, PDF Forms, Excel Add-ins, SharePoint Online, WebSockets, PDF Scraping, Scraping, Office Add-ins, WCF Web Services, Domain-driven Design (DDD), Scrum Master, Data Warehouse Design, Single Sign-on (SSO), Web Accessibility, SOAP, Leadership, Legal, Finance, Compliance, Healthcare Management Systems, LDAP, Active Directory Programming, Serverless, Workflow, WebAssembly, WebKit, DLL, System Service & Hardware Control, DevExpress, CI/CD Pipelines
Bachelor's Degree in Natural Sciences
University of Cambridge - Cambridge, England, UK