Verified Expert in Engineering
Islam is a full-stack developer with over a decade of experience in web development and systems architecture. He is a highly motivated and self-organized professional who can find the perfect balance between delivery speed and high-quality output. Islam's broad background has given him the technical skills to contribute to innovative projects and large-scale services and lead developer teams.
MacOS, Linux, Docker, Docker Compose, Kubernetes, GitLab, GitLab CI/CD, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Node.js, TypeScript 3, TypeScript, Git, User Interface (UI), Amazon Web Services (AWS), Flutter, Algorithms
The most amazing...
...project I've worked on is RTopia, a startup combining augmented reality and sports, which I co-founded, leading the development force and shaping the business.
Senior Full Stack Node.js & React Developer
- Created a ticket search system using Nest.js. The system enables users to perform a comparative analysis of sport ticket prices offered by various providers, allowing them to decide on the most cost-effective option.
- Built a visually stunning and lightweight design that was crafted using React and TypeScript. This allowed for the creation of an interface that is both user-friendly and visually appealing.
- Managed the project's infrastructure management, utilizing scalable and secure services using AWS EC2. This ensured a stable and reliable foundation for the project with a continuous deployment set up.
Senior Perl and WebRTC Developer
IP Cortex Limited
- Analyzed and fixed issues with the communication component between Asterisk and WebRTC clients for a VoIP platform.
- Developed a scalable processes orchestrator component to handle multiple connections on different CPU cores, manage interprocess communication, and distribute the load between all subprocesses.
- Developed an easy way to monitor the health of the running processes to detect any failure and respawn additional processes if needed.
Senior Full-stack Engineer
- Contributed to the development of a large-scale distributed payment platform. It handles millions of user payment requests daily as part of the payments business unit.
- Built a payments portal for Booking.com using Node.js and React. It allows payment clients to monitor users' payment activities, configure payment platform parameters, and control the access of their payment gateway.
- Created a fully customized documentation framework using Gatsby and Node.js for technical writers in the fintech. It helped them to build high-quality internal documentation for payment services with a lot of dynamic features.
- Wrote very optimized Hadoop queries on top of Elasticsearch to generate daily reports about payment activities.
- Re-architected the payment infrastructure system and moved the payments logic from a single monolithic architecture based on Perl to a microservices architecture based on different tech-stack like Node.js and Java.
- Built the first e-wallet for Booking.com users using React and Node.js, allowing them to receive rewards and virtual credit within their account and spend it later on their next booking.
- Organized multiple site reliability engineering (SRE) task force initiatives to support the development teams.
Co-founder | Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
- Developed the first mobile game that combines augmented reality technology and physical drones to deliver new and fun experiences merging video games and reality.
- Customized a well-known augmented reality software development kit (SDK) to allow integration with multiple game engines, including Unity 3D.
- Built the interface layer between drone hardware and Android SDK to allow users and gamers to control drones from their mobiles.
- Enabled the Orange network operators to launch their voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) products in one user interface, allowing the customers to use services like charge credit, set call tune, and call history.
- Helped deliver a mobile application for smart cars, enabling users to view useful statistics about their vehicles, calculate fuel consumption, and receive maintenance alerts.
- Organized coding coaching sessions for newcomers to help them with their onboarding and fast integration with their assigned teams.
- Participated in global coding and programming competitions, helping the company win first place on many occasions.
Event Ticketing Search Enginehttps://www.tixplorer.com/
The number of sub-products on Booking.com is increasing, generating daily requests from users trying to pay for their hotel accommodations, car rentals, or booked flights. Such a service requires a highly-scaled distributed system to handle all user payments and cover all payment flows for various products.
I was part of a large team of 7-10 people, and we all worked together to build and maintain all the related services under the payment platform.
Payment Back Office
Many clients have been integrated with the Booking.com payment gateway, so it has to be one place to quickly onboard new clients to the payment platform, configure payment-specific parameters, and monitor, diagnose, and debug issues with payment transactions.
I was the only full-stack developer on the team, in charge of delivering the complete functionality from end to end and breaking down the business requirements.
Payment Documentation Framework
Booking.com has its payment platform, and competing on the global stage against other payment platforms requires world-class technology and a world-class technical documentation site.
I was the only full-stack developer on the team, tasked with delivering the full functionality from end to end.
The solution also allows them to store their payment methods and credit in multiple currencies and pay globally for booked and unbooked activities, with access to loyalty initiatives such as rewards, discounts, and cash-backs.
I worked as a full-stack developer with one front-end developer, a back-end developer, and two app developers.
Express.js, Bootstrap, Material UI, MUI CSS, OAuth 2, AngularJS, Android SDK, Angular, Next.js, Spring Boot, Flutter, NestJS, React Native
Node.js, REST APIs, React, OpenID, jQuery, WebRTC, React Redux
Git, Figma, Docker Compose, GitLab, GitLab CI/CD, Google Analytics
Design Patterns, Microservices, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Continuous Deployment, Continuous Delivery (CD)
Software Design Patterns, Docker, Kubernetes, MacOS, Linux, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Xamarin, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Apache Kafka, Mobile, Amazon EC2
Travel & Leisure
MySQL, Database Management Systems (DBMS), Databases, MongoDB, PostgreSQL, NoSQL, Elasticsearch
Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology and Computer Science
Cairo University - Giza, Egypt
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring